Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Christmas Island Steakhouse 2019 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24910)

Phantom 08-22-2019 11:43 AM

Christmas Island Steakhouse 2019

Anyone been to the "New Christmas Island" Steakhouse lately ?

GRAVELY disappointing. :(

Went there week before last around 7:00pm on Friday, sat at the bar and was immediately told that the "kitchen" is not taking any food orders for another 2 hours (WHAT !?).

Figuring it was a fluke and that perhaps during that particular visit the kitchen got slammed for some reason last Saturday evening we went once again. I have to admit, I like their menu selections & the bar area is quite nice.........… This time, noticeably less people as we were able to quickly get a bar seat only to be told the same thing AGAIN !!

That's Strike two in my book …… someone please tell me when they get their act together as I would truly like not to put them into the "3 strikes your out" category.

Hillcountry 08-22-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 318064)
Anyone been to the "New Christmas Island" Steakhouse lately ?

GRAVELY disappointing. :(

Went there week before last around 7:00pm on Friday, sat at the bar and was immediately told that the "kitchen" is not taking any food orders for another 2 hours (WHAT !?).

Figuring it was a fluke and that perhaps during that particular visit the kitchen got slammed for some reason last Saturday evening we went once again. I have to admit, I like their menu selections & the bar area is quite nice.........… This time, noticeably less people as we were able to quickly get a bar seat only to be told the same thing AGAIN !!

That's Strike two in my book …… someone please tell me when they get their act together as I would truly like not to put them into the "3 strikes your out" category.

I’ve never heard of such a thing. Seems as if the place is OPEN and it’s a RESTAURANT you should be able to order food until the kitchen closes.
Something rotten in Denmark on X-mas island...

Biggd 08-22-2019 12:45 PM

I've been a couple times in the past few years and I won't be returning. I was very disappointed in the food, the service, and I didn't think the place was all that clean, JMO.
It's a fellow Waltham resident that bought it and I was hoping for better results but not so.

Phantom 08-22-2019 01:17 PM

Biggd - can’t argue your point as far as the seating area- but (personally) we found the bar area quite clean - looks redone- but I hadn’t been there in years.

Shame of it was they had their opportunity to steal a life long “Friday nighter” from Faro’s

Still in search of our new Friday night “haunt”. Where the people are friendly,the food is diverse & good, you can make light hearted conversation with the folks either side of you and MOST importantly - you can get a seat.

We will give it a few weeks & see if it recovers. Unlike Faro’s we don’t know any of the staff or management to get a “real” story.

Biggd 08-22-2019 02:06 PM

Try T-Bones, the food is great and you can usually get a spot at the bar. The bartenders are very friendly and we've had great conversation with other bar patrons. And I'm not usually one to strike up a conversation.
It's always busy but after Labor Day it may be easier to get a parking space.

Phantom 08-22-2019 03:31 PM

No argument with this choice …… getting a bar seat during season is impossible (Spinnaker) ….and lately we find Sean's attitude grating more often than not.

Woody38 08-22-2019 04:53 PM

I second T-Bones. Excellent food, good service and pleasant atmosphere.
My only problem is I always order the same thing. Cannot get enough of the baked stuffed haddock. When at the lake I eat fish.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

rick35 08-22-2019 06:26 PM

We haven’t been to the Steakhouse this year but thought it was ok when we went last year. It was warm when we went and I think their ac was struggling. I think it’s interesting where you can watch the chef in action but he looked like he was dying from the heat. He was really cranking out the orders. We went by the other day and it made me think they’re struggling to find their identity. There’s nothing Christmas about the place and their signage doesn’t make me want to stop. If we’re out that way and we want steak we go to TBones. Or fish. Or their Ruben. We went to the Bedford restaurant Monday and I had their T-bone steak. It was great!

upthesaukee 08-22-2019 09:34 PM

Last weekend

Last weekend, friends of ours went to Christmas Island Steakhouse, and told us not to bother going. Mediocre food, service ok, just not what the restaurant had been in years gone by. Very disappointed and won't waste their time or money going back.

Too bad. We had been years ago and liked the place. Seems like it had gone way down hill.

Dave

thinkxingu 08-23-2019 03:35 AM

We went a few years ago, and it was awesome. The recent reviews (here and at Google, etc.) have kept us away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 08-23-2019 05:38 AM

That too bad it’s a very nostalgic looking restaurant in a great location. Never been I’ve always stayed away due to the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 08-23-2019 06:57 AM

Like many of the restaurants around this area it has its locals. It’s ok. Service has been a big issue for everyone this past year, but, unlike others then not seem to care as much. The regulars at most of the bars in the area can be down right nasty if you intrude. Stopped in at the “Mug” one Thursday evening and it was like, who are you and why are you here! Food was good and fair price. Felt very unwelcomed

AC2717 08-23-2019 07:50 AM

Want a steak, hit up O's, absolutely the best!

WinnisquamZ 08-23-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 318145)

Agree, also the best burger in the area

Biggd 08-23-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC2717 (Post 318145)

Absolutely the best steak in the area but I don't know if it would be an every weekend place, not for me anyway. It's a little pricy but the steak there is worth the money.
From the description of what the OP is looking for, a regular Friday night haunt, I don't O's is that place.

Major 08-23-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 318102)
No argument with this choice …… getting a bar seat during season is impossible (Spinnaker) ….and lately we find Sean's attitude grating more often than not.

Give the Brick Front a try. My parents have been going there for years (10 or so) on Friday nights. My wife and I sometimes join them.

The Brick Front is our go to during the summer when you can't get a seat anywhere else. They have good, consistent food, good mixed drinks, and good value.

WinnisquamZ 08-23-2019 03:09 PM

Heard the same about Brick Front.

Phantom 08-26-2019 07:02 AM

Never heard of it — where’s it located?

Woodsy 08-26-2019 07:32 AM

Brick Front is AWESOME!

I love going to a Brick Front! Very good food, very reasonably priced! Great little bar!

Here is their FB page!

https://www.facebook.com/Brick-Front...-370760243159/

Woodsy

MeredithMan 08-26-2019 08:54 AM

Is Brick Front...

….where St. Pierre's restaurant used to be, back in the middle ages? OK, maybe not the middle ages, but the 1970's....

Major 08-26-2019 11:25 AM

Church Street, Laconia

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 318313)
….where St. Pierre's restaurant used to be, back in the middle ages? OK, maybe not the middle ages, but the 1970's....

The Brick Front is in fact the old St. Pierre's. It's located on Church Street in Laconia.

Witch One 08-28-2019 10:07 PM

Bartender

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 318080)
Biggd - can’t argue your point as far as the seating area- but (personally) we found the bar area quite clean - looks redone- but I hadn’t been there in years.

Shame of it was they had their opportunity to steal a life long “Friday nighter” from Faro’s

Still in search of our new Friday night “haunt”. Where the people are friendly,the food is diverse & good, you can make light hearted conversation with the folks either side of you and MOST importantly - you can get a seat.

We will give it a few weeks & see if it recovers. Unlike Faro’s we don’t know any of the staff or management to get a “real” story.

Phantom, just an FYI Jess the bartender from Faro is bartending at Christmas Island now. We stopped in last Thursday and were very happy to see her!

Phantom 08-29-2019 04:54 PM

Thank you Witch !

Yes, we were quite aware.... but still thanks.

SteveO123 08-29-2019 08:46 PM

Based on this...We did the Brick Front tonight.. Haddock in lobster sauce and turkey dinner.. don’t tell anybody it was GREAT !! Al fresco on the deck...

Thanks Forum! Shhh. It’s a secret !!!

WinnisquamZ 08-29-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO123 (Post 318625)
Based on this...We did the Brick Front tonight.. Haddock in lobster sauce and turkey dinner.. don’t tell anybody it was GREAT !! Al fresco on the deck...

Great to hear

Major 08-30-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO123 (Post 318625)

I was reluctant to mention it for this very reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk