Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best roofing option for low pitch? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24053)

kauriel 12-15-2018 06:08 PM

Best roofing option for low pitch?

Looking for recommendations for materials and/or installers for low pitch roof as it seems our current metal roof is not compatible with low pitch :rolleye1:

MAXUM 12-15-2018 08:26 PM

Depends on the pitch, have to be careful even with conventional shingles. If you have a low pitch it's imperative to have a very good underlayment such as Grace Water Shield.

ApS 12-15-2018 08:38 PM

TPO—For Low-Pitch Roofs...

When Category-4 Hurricane Irma was blowing steel roofs off my neighbors' homes, my heat-sealed TPO roof stayed bonded in place. :coolsm:

While not designed for climates with more cool days than hot days, its many other advantages still make for an excellent roofing material.

Link to a Canadian site:

http://firestonebp.ca/roofing/tpo-roofing-systems/

Dave M 04-26-2019 10:13 AM

Option

My father-in-law always said to use rolled roofing on low pitch roofs. Also the wind doesn't affect it as much since the seams are nailed the length
of it.

Dave M

SailinAway 04-26-2019 01:09 PM

My dormer roof originally had rolled roofing. It never lasted more than a couple of years before needing repairs. After replacing it twice, I finally had it shingled. Several roofers told me the pitch was too low for shingles. I took photos from the side to figure out the pitch and determined through internet research that in fact the pitch was within the limits for conventional shingles. I did use Grace ice and water shield. That was about 5 years ago. Not a single problem since then.

Oldschoolbuilder 05-05-2019 11:26 AM

Use rubber end of story

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

trfour 05-05-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldschoolbuilder (Post 310941)
Use rubber end of story

Do you have rubber, that doesn't dry rot from UV rays and crack from extreme heat-cold-expansion and contraction?

Biggd 05-06-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 310967)
Do you have rubber, that doesn't dry rot from UV rays and crack from extreme heat-cold-expansion and contraction?

Rubber roof is great but it's not lifetime. I have one and after about 20 years it started to lift and curl at the ends and the seams. I had a roofer re-glue it and then put down a hard rubber coating over it. He said it should be good for another 20 years. :)

trfour 05-06-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 310989)
Rubber roof is great but it's not lifetime. I have one and after about 20 years it started to lift and curl at the ends and the seams. I had a roofer re-glue it and then put down a hard rubber coating over it. He said it should be good for another 20 years. :)

To each his own.

These day's, I try to stay away from Hard Hat areas. :)

Biggd 05-06-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 311002)
To each his own.

These day's, I try to stay away from Hard Hat areas. :)

Good idea! :emb:

marcucci 06-07-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 305342)
Looking for recommendations for materials and/or installers for low pitch roof as it seems our current metal roof is not compatible with low pitch :rolleye1:

Did you end up doing a rubber roof? I am in the same position with water damage under a shingled low pitch roof. Any advice or recommendations? Did you get someone to install it or did you DIY? Thanks. Hope it worked out for you.

kauriel 06-09-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcucci (Post 313046)
Did you end up doing a rubber roof? I am in the same position with water damage under a shingled low pitch roof. Any advice or recommendations? Did you get someone to install it or did you DIY? Thanks. Hope it worked out for you.

We had rubber roof installed by Paragon Roofing of Alton. It was only recently installed but installation seemed to go well and so far we haven't had any issues.

ApS 05-07-2020 07:52 PM

TPO—Tough Rubber Plies...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldschoolbuilder (Post 310941)
Use rubber end of story

I believe you're right.

While photographing a helicopter making mosquito-control runs, I realized I had a photo of that TPO roofing that has done so well—even after Hurricane Irma tried to remove it. :eek:

It's heat sealed, so it's kind of like, "bagging the roof" with a very tough material.