Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Rodent update (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25586)

steve-on-mark 04-10-2020 04:30 PM

Rodent update

So far, I've seen one dead mole ( thanks kitties ), but not one mouse, chipmunk or squirrel...maybe another quiet year for them??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

gillygirl 04-10-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 331387)
So far, I've seen one dead mole ( thanks kitties ), but not one mouse, chipmunk or squirrel...maybe another quiet year for them??

Good kitties.. moles are disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Newbiesaukee 04-10-2020 09:51 PM

We’ve seen grey squirrels, red squirrels, and chipmunks on Long Island. Saw hardly any last year. The populations seemed to have recovered here at least.

steve-on-mark 04-11-2020 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 331430)
We’ve seen grey squirrels, red squirrels, and chipmunks on Long Island. Saw hardly any last year. The populations seemed to have recovered here at least.

They must be finding their way across the bridge....as long as they don't figure out how to build rafts I'm good!

steve-on-mark 04-14-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 331775)
We're building cheese rafts and will be coming in by way of Meredith

https://i.imgur.com/r7slmVz.jpg

https://imgur.com/XTE7918
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll be waiting with cat launchers...

Barney Bear 04-14-2020 09:06 PM

Location, Location, Location

It was located on the west side of the road, about halfway between the Weirs and Meredith, across from Harper's boat restoration. 🐭

Biggd 06-18-2020 07:44 AM

I've seen a increase return of mice this season after a relatively mouse free season last summer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

steve-on-mark 06-18-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 336963)
I've seen a increase return of mice this season after a relatively mouse free season last summer.

Still none to be seen on Mark..still get daily " mole deposits " on the deck though.

tis 06-18-2020 02:30 PM

Oh I hope it's not another "year" of the mouse! Trying to keep them out of the house was awful.

Biggd 06-19-2020 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 337015)
Oh I hope it's not another "year" of the mouse! Trying to keep them out of the house was awful.

Attachment 16131I made these bucket traps 2 years ago when there was a mouse invasion. I had none last summer but I've already caught a dozen in the past couple months. They clearly are obeying "the stay at home" advisory. [emoji16]

tis 06-19-2020 07:52 AM

i saw that those work great. I guess if it's another bad year I might have to make one.

Biggd 06-19-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 337059)
i saw that those work great. I guess if it's another bad year I might have to make one.

Best mouse trap ever but they are tough to hide. I have one in the basement and another in a closet on the first floor. The closet seems to be the popular mouse hang out.

Hillcountry 06-19-2020 08:32 AM

I have one mouse that seems to know it’s way around my mousetrap as he has tripped the trap and escaped a few times. He lives (or spends time) in the bottom of my Weber gas grill. He initially ruined my “hot mitts” by pulling strings of them for nesting material. The hilarious thing is that if I open the doors of the grill and look around I can see him hiding, usually between the propane tank and the side wall of the grill. Sometimes he’s facing me and sometimes I see his butt and tail. Last evening, after grilling chicken breasts, I checked after dinner and there he was. I decided to see if I could pinch him with my long tongs and flick him into the woods. Well, the tongs would not fit in the space so he would run to the other side of the grill then back and forth as I poked and rattled the tongs. At one point I poked his butt with my finger and he just stayed there...seems a friendly little bugger. I gave up that scheme and refreshed the peanut butter on the trap...I will win the battle but it’s funny to see how he loves his “home in the grill” :D

Barney Bear 06-19-2020 10:42 AM

Live Free - No Die

Looks like he has a strong will to enjoy your hospitality. Embrace it! 🐭

Newbiesaukee 06-19-2020 01:14 PM

Speaking of grills, 2 summers ago, after my small gas grill had been on the deck a few weeks, I opened the lid to discover Mama Mouse and her 3 babies. I was not amused, particularly since my wife refused to eat from the grill, even after my well reasoned argument as to its safety. Both Mama Mouse and I lost the argument.

Biggd 06-19-2020 02:48 PM

So two weeks ago I'm outside and I hear my wife screaming in the house. I go inside and I see her standing on a chair. So that's when I set up the traps. I've caught a dozen sinse then.

Hillcountry 06-20-2020 10:13 AM

The bucket (rolling log) traps work better for bulk rodent removal than anything else! Also good for red squirrel pest infestations!

gravy boat 06-21-2020 06:05 AM

We had what we thought was a flying squirrel invasion in our roof (we had one 10 years ago but was remediated by hubby). Scratching and feet moving in the roof. One night after hearing the scratching hubby went out with a flashlight and saw a mouse climbing up the side of our house (log home). Next day he built two bucket traps. The first night yielded 7. Then 5. Then 2. Until none. We haven't had the problem since but considering building another just in case. Any mice that have been unlucky enough to make it into the house have been eliminated by our male cat (strong hunting prowess). One night he eliminated a momma and her babies - total of 5.

Also - I had a bird feeder hanging on the deck - I assume the mice were attracted to the seeds that fell to the ground so I no longer use it.

JEEPONLY 06-21-2020 09:35 AM

Omg!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 337114)
So two weeks ago I'm outside and I hear my wife screaming in the house. I go inside and I see her standing on a chair. So that's when I set up the traps. I've caught a dozen sinse then.

So,did she put the palms of her hands on her cheeks and go EEK!?
I think I saw Betty Boop do this once :eek:

Newbiesaukee 06-22-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 337191)
So,did she put the palms of her hands on her cheeks and go EEK!?
I think I saw Betty Boop do this once :eek:

At my age, jumping on a chair is scarier than being menaced by a mouse.

Hillcountry 06-22-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 337222)
At my age, jumping on a chair is scarier than being menaced by a mouse.

I hear that! It would take something like a King Cobra to make me take to a chair, however! Mice...I chase them! :D

Biggd 07-06-2020 10:15 AM

Brand new mooring cover for my Pontoon, had if off for a few nice days in a storage bin at the lake, has a hole chewed though it.🤨

Barney Bear 07-06-2020 10:46 AM

Yum!

Obviously, your small visitors have good taste. 🐻