Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Toilet Sweat (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23668)

mcdude 07-31-2018 06:44 AM

Toilet Sweat

They say there are no dumb questions so here goes......

On these muggy days, the water coming up from the well is so cold that it causes the toilet (and some pipes in the basement) to sweat profusely leaving a puddle on the floor. Any ideas on how to minimize this?

brk-lnt 07-31-2018 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 299117)

On these muggy days, the water coming up from the well is so cold that it causes the toilet (and some pipes in the basement) to sweat profusely leaving a puddle on the floor. Any ideas on how to minimize this?

Warm the water to minimize the temp differential. An electric instant water heater, set to only come on at certain temps, would take the chill off of the incoming water and reduce the problem.

Or, insulate everything that is sweating to prevent the cold/moist outside air from contacting these plumbing components.

rozbeezer 07-31-2018 08:07 AM

fix toilet sweating

There are two things you can do:
1. Add a mixing valve and use some hot water to fill the tank.
2. Buy an insulated toilet tank. They have foam installed inside the tank keeping the outside of the tank from getting so cold.

You can buy a plastic tray which will fit under the tank on most toilets to catch the water. This doesn't solve the problem, but keeps the floor dry.

HellRaZoR004 07-31-2018 08:41 AM

After reading the post I understand, my mind went all over with the title. :eek:

I would start with insulating the pipes to see if it helps, pretty cheap and easy to do.

swnoel 07-31-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Dehumidifier for the basement and mixing valve for the toilet.

SIKSUKR 07-31-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 299130)
After reading the post I understand, my mind went all over with the title. :eek:

I would start with insulating the pipes to see if it helps, pretty cheap and easy to do.

Exactly the opposite actually. The water is too cold now.

HellRaZoR004 07-31-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 299137)
Exactly the opposite actually. The water is too cold now.

For the toilet, yes. For the pipes in the basement that would keep the moist air off them. Sounds like a multi-pronged approach.

Bear Islander 07-31-2018 11:06 AM

Toilet tank insulator kit from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Keeney-K836-2...70_&dpSrc=srch

You can use pipe insulators for the sweaty pipes.

donmac 07-31-2018 11:21 AM

Had that problem at my place in CH, mixing in some hot water resolved the issue.

The Real BigGuy 07-31-2018 12:39 PM

Had the problem once. I drained the tank, cleaned the walls and installed thin styrofoam sheeting along the walls and bottom. Was a pain to cut & keep trimming until it fit but it worked. Took me most of a day. If I had to do it again I’d just buy an insulated tank or a new toilet that had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

upthesaukee 08-01-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rozbeezer (Post 299128)
There are two things you can do:
1. Add a mixing valve and use some hot water to fill the tank.
2. Buy an insulated toilet tank. They have foam installed inside the tank keeping the outside of the tank from getting so cold.

You can buy a plastic tray which will fit under the tank on most toilets to catch the water. This doesn't solve the problem, but keeps the floor dry.

Can't help myself with this one:laugh: .

Back in the early '80's, when remodeling the bathroom, to eliminate this problem, they did number 1. (Sorry, it begged to be said :cool:). It did in fact eliminate the problem.

Dave

ApS 08-01-2018 07:31 AM

Separate System for Toilet?

Quote:

They say there are no dumb questions so here goes......On these muggy days, the water coming up from the well is so cold that it causes the toilet (and some pipes in the basement) to sweat profusely leaving a puddle on the floor. Any ideas on how to minimize this?

Install a pump, and draw water from the lake? :look:

>

kauriel 08-01-2018 07:50 AM

We are having similar issue with other pipes in our house and earlier this week plumber told us to run AC when it is humid. Thankfully we can remotely control it so now I just need to setup humidity sensor.

ApS 08-01-2018 08:08 AM

"Defrost" Mode...

Quote:

They say there are no dumb questions so here goes......On these muggy days, the water coming up from the well is so cold that it causes the toilet (and some pipes in the basement) to sweat profusely leaving a puddle on the floor. Any ideas on how to minimize this?

Aim a small "muffin fan" ($10 new) at the tank to elevate the temperature of the water inside. :cool:

rozbeezer 05-25-2019 04:13 PM

Toilet Sweat

We installed insulated tanks which solved the problem when we switched from lake water to a well. Available for Toto. Not sure about other
Brands.

dpg 06-14-2019 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kauriel (Post 299265)
We are having similar issue with other pipes in our house and earlier this week plumber told us to run AC when it is humid. Thankfully we can remotely control it so now I just need to setup humidity sensor.

An AC will fix the sweating problem but you do not remotely have to run it if your not at the house. It will only start sweating when you are there flushing it introducing cold water into the tank. If the toilet has sat un-flushed on a 90 degree humid day it won't sweat the water inside it will be warm already.

Top-Water 06-14-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 299130)

Some people call them ass gaskets. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 299268)
Aim a small "muffin fan"

Good thing you added the word "fan" to the sentence or this would be begging further explanation.

https://i.imgur.com/Sv76viy.jpg

Wifi-1 06-14-2019 06:28 PM

Here I am, waiting for FLLs suggestion to save water and not flush it :)

joey2665 06-14-2019 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wifi-1 (Post 313415)
Here I am, waiting for FLLs suggestion to save water and not flush it :)

And him suggesting wrapping the plumbing with foam noodles.

Barney Bear 06-14-2019 09:42 PM

Good Suggestion

If properly installed on the pipes, foam noodles should help do the job!