Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help With Ice Out (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28661)

ishoot308 03-16-2023 07:49 AM

Help With Ice Out

Here's a drone video made a couple years ago by a young friend of mine on Welch Island. I am hoping this video will get your heart pumping and warm everyone's heart enough to help with a quicker ice out!! Put your youtube settings on the highest definition for the best enjoyment!! ;)

Enjoy!

Dan

https://youtu.be/zsfFLs7n4DQ

steve-on-mark 03-16-2023 09:20 AM

From the same night??

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...508fc8faea.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Grant 03-16-2023 01:11 PM

A Little Rattlesnake Sunset...

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...1&d=1678990219

Grove84 03-17-2023 06:00 PM

Incredible

Thank you so much for sharing a fantastic clip and the count down begins

Mr. V 03-17-2023 07:35 PM

Nice video.

It raises a questionL are less people riding the Mount than they did 49\0 or 50 years ago?

To my casual eye the number of passengers visible on the deck in the past few decades seems to have decreased substantially, perhaps to the point of unprofitability.

TiltonBB 03-18-2023 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 382054)
Nice video.

It raises a questionL are less people riding the Mount than they did 49\0 or 50 years ago?

To my casual eye the number of passengers visible on the deck in the past few decades seems to have decreased substantially, perhaps to the point of unprofitability.

I agree. It does seem like a lot less passengers than many years ago. Sometimes it looks almost empty. In recent years the schedule has been substantially cut back too.

That may be one of the reasons they purchased the Spirit, to entertain smaller groups at a lower operating cost. There may be another smaller boat purchase for them in the works as well. That may be be confirmed in the next 60 days.

tis 03-18-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 382054)
Nice video.

I thought the same but last summer I saw it quite a few times with a lot of people so hoping they were doing better.

upthesaukee 03-18-2023 08:09 AM

Another thought...

Another thought: there are a lot more boats on the lake these days and not as many folks going out for a day on the lake on a commercial vessel. Now they go out for the day on their own boat.

Weekends may be busier but probably not to the extent of say 10 yrs ago.

Dave

WinnisquamZ 03-18-2023 10:26 AM

Also consider many bus tours and such were cancelled these past few years. Thinking they will return this season. Will be a barn burner summer. 100th Anniversary of bike week and c19 restrictions removed

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Descant 03-21-2023 12:44 PM

Mount crowds

If you're comparing to 50 years ago, a lot has changed. She's 30 feet longer with a third deck and the below decks Steamboat lounge that didn't exist years ago, so crowds may be more spread out. More food/drink choices and air conditioning may keep passengers inside more, and more trip options like routine evening cruises spread the crowds out. And yes, more people have their own boats and there are more places to rent boats. At the Weirs alone, no more Miss Winnipesaukee(s), Uncle Sam, Foxy boats, etc.

LoveLakeLife 03-21-2023 01:00 PM

It’s a shame the lounge below the main deck interior staircase isn’t accessible on regular cruises. I think remember going down there in the 80s. ??

Descant 03-21-2023 04:45 PM

I apologize to the OP for being a participant in getting off course here. We now resume our regular programming.

LoveLakeLife 03-21-2023 05:21 PM

I don’t think you veered. The Mount and ice out are definitely connected. [emoji2]

steve-on-mark 03-21-2023 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife (Post 382112)
I don’t think you veered. The Mount and ice out are definitely connected. [emoji2]

Not to mention the much anticipated launch of the C-Nile...

tis 03-22-2023 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 382115)
Not to mention the much anticipated launch of the C-Nile...

I'm more excited for that than the Mount!!

steve-on-mark 03-22-2023 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 382116)
I'm more excited for that than the Mount!!

Tis, if that truly is your point of view, you might want to start thinking about reassessing your priorities in life! [emoji38]

tis 03-22-2023 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-on-mark (Post 382117)
Tis, if that truly is your point of view, you might want to start thinking about reassessing your priorities in life! [emoji38]

sigh, you're probably right.

steve-on-mark 03-22-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 382118)
sigh, you're probably right.

although, I'm thinking the C-Nile will be on the water before the Mount... as long as it's clear from Glendale to Mark, it's enough ice out for me!

Descant 03-22-2023 10:38 AM

If the prevailing winds are from NW, is Wolfeboro most often the last port to be clear? Does anybody track that?

codeman671 03-22-2023 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 382129)
If the prevailing winds are from NW, is Wolfeboro most often the last port to be clear? Does anybody track that?

I think its typically Center Harbor that lags behind the others, but could be mistaken. Things to blow out to the south and tend to clog up Wolfeboro, but as far as areas iced in (not moving ice) I think Center Harbor lasts longer.

Slickcraft 03-22-2023 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 382129)

Yes. On many occasions a strong NW wind will clear the ice between Welch and Belknap point sending it across the Broads and down to Wolfeboro Bay. Normally the ice hangs in longer north of Timber/40 Islands and in Wolfeboro Bay. Over the past 25+ years we have been able to get to Welch about a week prior to official ice out.