Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diving Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   2nd wreck next to ChrisCraft (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16181)

Diver1111 07-23-2013 08:20 AM

2nd wreck next to ChrisCraft

2 Attachment(s)
I was re-scanning the ChrisCraft in the Weirs area and saw a 2nd wreck adjacent to it; In the image attached this new wreck is to the right of the ChrisCraft.

Note the shadows up into the water column from two objects protruding upwards. This wreck I am betting is a mess but enough of it is intact to generate this image.

It is possible it is remains of the Mt. Washington that burned in the '30s; I have found stuff in this area that is hard to describe except that they are big, heavy duty, made of massive timber, concrete and steel and appeared to have been blown apart.

The shot of the ChrisCraft is rough. In the 2nd image of the ChrisCraft you can see a line coming off the boat up into the water column. I need to get the sonar deeper for a better angle but it's a decent clip.

SunsetPointWentworth 07-26-2013 07:54 PM

It would be really interesting if it was debris from the original Mount Washington. The post fire pictures make it obvious that there's not much left, but it would still be really interesting to see the wreckage. In one post fire pic, it looks as though one of the paddle wheels made it through the fire. Thanks again Diver1111. We all get to play a little Indiana Jones along with you. Thanks for sharing.

SunsetPointWentworth 07-27-2013 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 8138

Attachment 8139

Grant 07-30-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunsetPointWentworth (Post 208928)
It would be really interesting if it was debris from the original Mount Washington. The post fire pictures make it obvious that there's not much left, but it would still be really interesting to see the wreckage. In one post fire pic, it looks as though one of the paddle wheels made it through the fire. Thanks again Diver1111. We all get to play a little Indiana Jones along with you. Thanks for sharing.

Much of it was hauled out and dumped near Rattlesnake. A few years back (well, maybe as many as ten) a few guys went looking with sonar and found some debris. There wasn't much left. Some wood & pipes & clamps. From what I remember, it was pretty deep, and buried deep in the bottom muck/silt. I still have the article from the Grunter, and will scan and post when I get home.

That's not to say that there aren't good-sized chunks of the wreckage scattered along the way to the deep part of the Lake. Amazing how much stuff is right off the Weirs.

Senter Cove Guy 07-31-2013 10:09 PM

Here's The Article From 2003

4 Attachment(s)
I believe the debris was found near Eagle Island, not Rattlesnake.

SunsetPointWentworth 08-01-2013 05:43 PM

That's the first time I've heard that the hull was blown apart:( I thought that what we see in the post fire pics, would be what was down there.

Grant 08-12-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy (Post 209291)
I believe the debris was found near Eagle Island, not Rattlesnake.

Thanks for the correction.

And hopefully we'll actually find this target next time! :D