Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Red Sox Playoff... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22672)

garysanfran 10-05-2017 07:32 AM

Red Sox Playoff...

Got excited about watching the game tonight at 4pm. Planned my week around it. Guests coming. Making a good dinner.

Today I find out I can't get the game on Metrocast since they don't offer the MLB channel...WHAT??????

What service should I dump Metrocast for? Direct TV? Or???

Every time I find something on Metrocast I WANT to watch, it requires an additional subscription to my already $280/month cost.

Not happy!

joey2665 10-05-2017 07:54 AM

DirecTV

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 286385)
Got excited about watching the game tonight at 4pm. Planned my week around it. Guests coming. Making a good dinner.

Today I find out I can't get the game on Metrocast since they don't offer the MLB channel...WHAT??????

What service should I dump Metrocast for? Direct TV? Or???

Every time I find something on Metrocast I WANT to watch, it requires an additional subscription to my already $280/month cost.

Not happy!

I love DirecTV especially if you are a sports fan. They carry all the channels and their NFL Red Zone channel is far better than the one carried by other providers.

chocophile 10-05-2017 10:38 AM

Playstation Vue Streaming Service

Sony has a TV streaming service called Playstation Vue. It carries MLB plus other sports channels (NESN, etc.). You do need a device to stream it: computer, Amazon Fire TV, Sony Playstation, and a few others.

I got it this season to watch Red Sox games since I do not have a cable TV subscription. It works pretty well. (No DVR capability for sports, but it does provide on-demand for some other shows you can set up.)

You could sign up today, and stream it to your computer, at least, if you don't have any other supported device.

There's no contract or minimum # of months, so you could cancel it after a month.

Airedale1 10-05-2017 11:05 AM

We dumped Metrocast a couple of years ago for DirecTV and we love it.

We really hated Metrocast. Their company philosophy is, we don't care because we don't have to.

webmaster 10-05-2017 12:13 PM

It has been mentioned in other threads but one option in the future would be to get a Slingbox and stream from your home cable box. I know that won't help you for the Sox game today.

A Slingbox M2 is under $100 with no subscriptions needed, except of course your home cable service and internet service where you are.

It works great for me and my kids use it all the time from their apartments.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G3XtPQKLTX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AC2717 10-05-2017 01:16 PM

NESN doesn't have the game or NBC or FOX?

MeredithMan 10-05-2017 01:32 PM

Internet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 286395)
We dumped Metrocast a couple of years ago for DirecTV and we love it.

We really hated Metrocast. Their company philosophy is, we don't care because we don't have to.

May I ask what you do for internet? I currently have metrocast triple play and we never use the landline. I called them about a year ago to dump the phone and just have internet and tv, and they were going to charge me MORE, with the BS that "un-bundling" the services results in a higher price. As it is, we pay more for the Metrocast triple play than we do for our Verizon FIOS triple play at our permanent home, (and we have more channels with VZN). Like most people in the area, I would dump Metrocast in the blink of an eye, but then what? DirectTV sounds viable for tv, but back to my internet question. We did have Fairpoint DSL for internet at our old place in Laconia
several years back, and although it was inexpensive, the service was horrible and sloooowww....

Airedale1 10-05-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 286399)
May I ask what you do for internet? We did have Fairpoint DSL for internet at our old place in Laconia several years back, and although it was inexpensive, the service was horrible and sloooowww....

We have Fairpoint and yes it is slow, but adequate for us.

garysanfran 10-05-2017 03:45 PM

Thanks all...Called Direct-TV today and...

They're going to replace my cell service, currently with Verizon, with AT&T...(mixed feelings about), replace Comcast in San Fran and Metrocast here with Direct-TV...Savings?...about $300/month for 2 years, then the bump still gives me great savings.

And, the details of fiber optics, increased speed, added channels, a Saturday night movie of some sort...I think I was beginning to expect a half-baked pizza from Piccolo, left me overwhelmed and incapable of remembering ALL the new features I was going to be thrilled with...

Then, I tried to sign on to my new account, and it doesn't recognize me. Not going to deal with it now. The scheduled turnover is Nov. 2nd. I'll stay with Metro till then. And... I'll let the forum know my experience...

I'm assuming (NEVER DO SO!) that the Red Sox in the World Series will be televised for us Plebs with no MLB Network...Could probably get the series with rabbit ears on public airwaves.

joey2665 10-05-2017 04:30 PM

You usually cannot sign into your Directv account until the installation is completed and service starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

elbie 10-05-2017 06:24 PM

Red Sox today

The way the game went today, you didn't miss much, except for altuves' 3 home runs. I wouldn't worry about the world series based on the way todays game went. Go Sox!

garysanfran 10-05-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 286407)
You usually cannot sign into your Directv account until the installation is completed and service starts.

Again...Thank you. I'm also finding that MLB has literally locked up all access to these games. Even in San Fran, I would probably not be watching this game, However, Comcast gave me the option of subscribing to MLB ..., Metrocast doesn't offer MLB and I found their TV anywhere is a PITA!!!

SAB1 10-05-2017 07:08 PM

The Bruins are on! Turn the channel 😜

baygo 10-05-2017 07:30 PM

Mlb.com has an app called atbat.

mcdude 10-06-2017 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webmaster (Post 286397)
A Slingbox M2 is under $100 with no subscriptions needed, except of course your home cable service and internet service where you are.

It works great for me and my kids use it all the time from their apartments.

Slingbox is the way to go! Set-up is pretty easy. (Thanks to some tips from my nephew and Blue Thunder here on the forum - Thanks) I went with a direct cable connection from the slingbox to the modem back home as I was told the wireless option was less dependable. When you get up to camp, link your computer to the back of your TV with an HDMI cable and project whatever is on your computer onto the TV.

Note that you can only watch whatever is being broadcast on your home cable-box. You have the ability to change the channel remotely through the slingbox but can only watch one thing at a time. So if our webmaster is watching one show at home and one of his kids changes the channel at their apartment the channel at home also changes (and vice-versa). So if you're engrossed in a show at camp and someone changes the channel at home it may lead to a phone call, "Hey....I was watching that!!!!" :D

So this eliminates the need for "Triple-Play" at the lake. We have only an internet connection with Metrocast. We use cellphones and the slingbox for cable. Internet only through Metrocast is $65.37 per month.

gokart-mozart 10-06-2017 09:06 AM

Metrocast in Wolfeboro

I wish I could replace Metrocast with DirectTV, but I'm on a north-facing slope and trees block the satellite. Slingbox is a great idea if you have better service at home, but I AM home, so that's out.

I do have a phone/cable/internet package, and I agree that the fact that you can't cut services without increasing the rate is disgusting.

Someone told me Wolfeboro has decided to switch to another cable provider, and soon. Does anyone know if this is true, and, if so, if there's a chance of better service (probably not).

BroadHopper 10-07-2017 08:08 AM

Metrocast on Winnisquam

Same problem here. I don't have a clear sight to the satellites for disk TV. My Roku stick and Metrocast internet is all I need! In the past Metrocast internet was very unreliable. This year I had no issues since they replace the cable trunk with fiber optics.

Barney Bear 10-09-2017 09:13 AM

Batter Up. ⚾️

On East Bear Island, we watched the Red Sox on MetroCast [Channel 79 - FS1] yesterday. 🐻

Greene's Basin Girl 10-09-2017 04:45 PM

It is sadly over!

Seaplane Pilot 10-09-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl (Post 286502)
It is sadly over!

Thank God! Is there a more boring sport, with bigger prima donnas, in the universe? Watching grass grow, or paint dry, is far more exciting than watching baseball.

Doobs41378 10-09-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 286504)
Thank God! Is there a more boring sport, with bigger prima donnas, in the universe? Watching grass grow, or paint dry, is far more exciting than watching baseball.

Thanks for adding nothing with your post.

lakevet 10-09-2017 10:36 PM

Quote:

Regular season games can be boring, but elimination one run games are as exciting a sporting event as there is. Sorry you don't get it... It's a game that's been around a long time for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Seaplane Pilot 10-10-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 286506)
Thanks for adding nothing with your post.

And you with yours.

Biggd 10-10-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

You don't have to watch it! It's just like any other entertainment on TV, you're not interested, watch something else. I'm sure there are plenty of things you do or watch that others think is boring.

joey2665 10-10-2017 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakevet (Post 286507)
Regular season games can be boring, but elimination one run games are as exciting a sporting event as there is. Sorry you don't get it... It's a game that's been around a long time for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Absolutely agree. Regular season baseball can be slow but playoff baseball and playoff hockey are the most exciting spectator sports. I am a huge football fan but the drama of playoff baseball and hockey cant be beat

Biggd 10-10-2017 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 286512)
Absolutely agree. Regular season baseball can be slow but playoff baseball and playoff hockey are the most exciting spectator sports. I am a huge football fan but the drama of playoff baseball and hockey cant be beat

The problem with Baseball and hockey to a lesser degree is the regular season is too dam long! But they will never shorten them because that means less revenue.

kawishiwi 10-10-2017 07:39 AM

Too many

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 286513)
The problem with Baseball and hockey to a lesser degree is the regular season is too dam long! But they will never shorten them because that means less revenue.

I agree. Pro basketball also has too many games. I got to see a Rockets v Spurs game back in the heyday of Robinson & Olujawon. They both went 30+, 10+ rebounds and it was BORING. It was a mid season game, both teams were obviously tired. There was only about 6 minutes of contested basketball the whole game. A minute or so at the end of the quarters and 2 or 3 minutes at the end. Otherwise it was a casual scrimmage.

joey2665 10-10-2017 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 286513)

You are 100% correct there. Especially hockey and basketball the season with finals are 9+ months. I would be happier if baseball cut it back to 154 games, had a few traditional double headers and start the playoffs two weeks earlier

Seaplane Pilot 10-10-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 286509)
You don't have to watch it! It's just like any other entertainment on TV, you're not interested, watch something else. I'm sure there are plenty of things you do or watch that others think is boring.

Perhaps, but they are entitled to their own opinion, just as I have stated mine in my previous post. Give me football or hockey any day. I'd actually rather watch golf than baseball.

Biggd 10-10-2017 11:21 AM

Watching Golf is really like watching grass grow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

dpg 10-10-2017 11:32 AM

The Red Sox were in the playoffs?? :eek: