Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Weirs Beach Drive-In For Sale (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19129)

minni on winni 05-08-2015 07:46 PM

Weirs Beach Drive-In For Sale

Hope this isn't new to just me
Heard the drive in at the Weirs is up for sale.
Anyone know if it's true. Sad if it is. Another piece of the past gone.

PaugusBayFireFighter 05-09-2015 06:49 AM

I think everything on that corner has been for sale. The burned out saloon has some work being done. Hopefully the dump drive-in will go too.
I believe the new zoning to 'residential' has caused some property owners to act. The drive-in has preliminary approval to be a concert venue for Motorcycle Week. Foxwoods Resorts is a partner in this potential event. The concert venue will hold up to 30,000 people. No announcement of what bands will play but a rumor making the rounds is Aerosmith. Boxing was supposed to be part of the event but that looks like a no go. Here's a link to today's story.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...-for-bike-week

Woodsy 05-11-2015 08:35 AM

The Drive In is for sale at a whopping $2.5 MILLION dollars (read that in your best Dr. Evil voice)

I doubt it will be sold anytime soon as any development of the property would require additional access points. That will not happen without the purchase of ROW's from either Thurston's Marine or Faro's Italian Grille. Not to mention, depending on the type of development, there is sure to be opposition in some manner from local residents.

The property that the Saloon was on is being paved over. The building have been torn down, the lot graded. Probably pave it this week? They were asking $1.8 MILLION for that lot... I do not see it for sale on the MLS anymore, but it is essentially unbuildable due to current setback rules...

As far the Concert venue goes.... GOOD LUCK! 30,000 people?? WHERE? Where would they park? What about the infrastructure needed to support that many people? 30,000 people drinking are going to go in Porta potties? And let me get this straight.... after the concert 30,000 people are going to leave the facility right by the Weirs Beach sign?? That's already a Bike Week choke point....

Just to give you an idea of how many people 30,000 works out to be in a concert venue...

Meadowbrook Bank of NH Pavilion in Gilford seats 8,300 people...

Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester NH seats 10,050 people...

Xfinity Center in Mansfield MA seats 19,900 people...

TD Garden in Boston seats 19,600 people...

There is NO WAY the Weirs could support 30,000 people for a concert! The City of Laconia is out of their minds if they permit this!

Woodsy

topwater 05-11-2015 10:32 AM

Word on the streets is Aero Smith will be playing there on MC week-end. Don't ask me how I know...I just DO.

Scott 05-11-2015 11:03 AM

It will be interesting to see how two extremely loud concerts will work out. I'm about a half mile away across the channel from the bands that would play at the lobster pound and could sing along with them if I wanted to.

Two stages that close together just seems like it will ruin the experience for both.

VitaBene 05-11-2015 11:09 AM

Thanks Woodsy, you just saved me a lot of typing!

MeredithMan 05-11-2015 11:51 AM

Call out the tanks and the national guard...

....If Laconia allows those large concerts on the Friday and Saturday nights of Bike Week, they are going to need the national guard. Seriously. I, too, have heard the Aerosmith rumor. Anyone remember their concert from the late 60's/early 70's where they hired The Hell's Angels to be their stage security? Some knucklehead strung out on recreational substances tried to storm the stage and guess what? Skewered on a sword by a Hells' Angels dude.

This just has disaster written all over it....!!!

GTO 05-11-2015 12:52 PM

not Aerosmith

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeredithMan (Post 244650)
....If Laconia allows those large concerts on the Friday and Saturday nights of Bike Week, they are going to need the national guard. Seriously. I, too, have heard the Aerosmith rumor. Anyone remember their concert from the late 60's/early 70's where they hired The Hell's Angels to be their stage security? Some knucklehead strung out on recreational substances tried to storm the stage and guess what? Skewered on a sword by a Hells' Angels dude.

This just has disaster written all over it....!!!

I think it was the Rolling Stones and they paid the Hell's Angels in beer

SIKSUKR 05-11-2015 01:58 PM

That concert was also at Altamont Ca.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...bleed-19700121

MeredithMan 05-11-2015 02:34 PM

got them confused....

stones and aerosmith.....both bands are: skinny, ugly, old, neither one can sing....I know it's hard to confuse them, but somehow I did..... :laugh:

georgeisallheart 05-12-2015 11:34 PM

Weirs Beach Drive-In For Sale

I saw this on WMUR's homepage.

http://www.wmur.com/news/weirs-beach...-sale/32990954

fatlazyless 05-13-2015 04:33 PM

In today's LaDaSun article, the listing broker for this old drive-in movie property said it would require a buyer-developer with imagination, and it could become an 8-acre, waterfront retail shopping mall and restaurant venue that would unlock the potential of the Weirs.

... indeed! ...... bring it on! ..... let's get the waterfront shopping mall and restaurant venue construction rolling....plus don't forget the Wow Trail is designed for that spot too! ..... viva le transformation! .... with just a wee bit of imagination!

Misha888 05-13-2015 06:27 PM

They need a developer . . .

because based on Debt Service, it's worth half of what they're asking.

Good grief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 244795)
In today's LaDaSun article, the listing broker for this old drive-in movie property said it would require a buyer-developer with imagination, and it could become an 8-acre, waterfront retail shopping mall and restaurant venue that would unlock the potential of the Weirs.

... indeed! ...... bring it on! ..... let's get the waterfront shopping mall and restaurant venue construction rolling....plus don't forget the Wow Trail is designed for that spot too! ..... viva le transformation! .... with just a wee bit of imagination!

Donzi Minx 05-14-2015 05:33 AM

Drive In

Geeez,
Saw the first Star Wars there.
My times are a changing!
Broaden that tax base rules.....wait that's only in Mass.

Scott 05-14-2015 07:55 AM

A large, gently sloping pre-cleared lot next to a beach.

The Weirs is going to lose yet another reason to visit and gain another subdivision of cookie-cutter homes/condos that are probably empty more often than occupied.

jetlag100 05-14-2015 09:19 AM

Weirs Drive In

I saw "The Phantom of The Opera" there when I was maybe 6.....50 yrs. ago...never been back since!

Pineedles 05-14-2015 01:01 PM

It was "Old Yeller" for me. Just reread the story on Wiki, since I only remember pieces of it. Sad story. I wonder what my parent were thinking?

Happy Gourmand 05-14-2015 01:21 PM

Does this seem like a great opportunity for somebody with deep pockets to develop that land to become the beginning of the revitalization of Weirs Beach?
Rusty? Alex? :)

rsmlp 05-14-2015 04:19 PM

bout time. it's an eyesore.

songkrai 05-14-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsmlp (Post 244830)
bout time. it's an eyesore.

More cheap condos !