Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rack Valet for 20 ft boat? Pros? Cons? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360)

SHICKS 04-20-2004 01:32 PM

Rack Valet for 20 ft boat? Pros? Cons?

In the past I have trailered my boat to the lake. I would like to leave it there for the season. Inexpensive slips are hard to find, but what about rack storage? Does anyone here do it? Any horror stories of boats being damaged. What should I expect to pay for this service. I have not called around, and don't know of any availablitly yet. Any suggestions on locations?

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Charlie T 04-20-2004 03:55 PM

Rack Storage

I keep my 25 ft Chap in a rack at Fay's no problems at all ( other than a broken spedo pick up once). I would recommed it.
Another option is "yard storage", my first boat on Winnie was a 20 ft cuddy. It had a trailer and I kept it in the locked storage yard at Silver Sands in Gilford, I believe it was $200.oo for the season. I still had to launch it myself but it was a lot better trailering it 100 ft each way rather than 100 miles. BTW the $200.00 included the ramp fee. That price was about 3-4 yrs ago, I'm sure it has gone up but it is worth checking out
Good luck

Orion 04-20-2004 07:44 PM

Trailer, rack, slip, mix?

I have done them all. I've rented a slip at MVYC for 3 years; head of Alton for 2 years; West Alton Marina for 1 year; kept on trailer at Ames Farm for 2 years; and trailered from central MA for many others. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Right now I own a rack at Harilla and rent a dock at the same place (just for some added convenience). The rack has the advantage of low cost with a good amount of convenience and safety for your boat. While some damage is possible (but rare), when putting the boat in and out of a rack, there is also damage at a dock from sun exposure (fading) and water (blistering & algae) as well as potential damage from dock if in an area of wave action and not able to 4-way tie-off properly. With a rack, if you live any distance from the Lake and a storm (or hurricane) hits while you're away, you can rest assured your boat is as safe as it can be.

Having a dock has the advantage of your boat being ready to go whenever the whim hits, and you don't have to worry about whether you remembered to call to put your boat in (off the rack) or not. Having your own dock has the added advantage of having a place to come into for a couple of hours to come in for dinner without looking for a place at the valet docks (good if you have island property). Renting a dock also gives you a place to hang out on your boat without going out if the weather is rough.

Ames Farm was a great option when trying to save money and trailer miles. Prices were reasonable and launching was relatively painless......just leave your boat on the trailer at the end of the weekend which meant planning the end of the day on Sunday so that you could load without too long a wait (wasn't usually a problem).

It pretty much depends on your budget and what your boating style and frequency is.

KevinPlante 04-20-2004 09:22 PM

Channel Marine. Nothing but a good experience there. They bend over backwards to help people out.

Channel Marine's Website

Belmont Resident 04-21-2004 08:21 AM

Paugus bay marina best rates no strings

Check out Paugus Bay Marina. I believe they have the best rates on the lake.
They do not pressure you into having work done there like some others I've heard about. They also have Reggie who's probably the best boat mechanic on the lake working their service department.
They offer year round storage that rivels other marina's summer storage.
I've had 3 years of excellent service from them. :)
Good luck in your search.

Paugus Bay Resident 04-21-2004 08:53 AM

I would second Paugus Bay Marina. I racked my boat there for 2 years. Reggie's the best!

masssteve 04-21-2004 07:32 PM

www.meredithmarina.com
only $1,200 for valet service, unlimited ins and outs. Best deal around.

SHICKS 04-21-2004 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I would consider rack or yard storage. I actually dont have a boat now. I sold my sea ray last year. I am looking at a couple boats now. I have a Toyota 4runner with a v6. It tows ok, but not the best for a 20 ft boat. Plus towing is a hassel sometimes. The only disadvatage I see, is if I would like to go to another lake.

Thanks,
Steve

masssteve 04-22-2004 12:25 PM

I leave my boat on my trailer at Meredith Marina. You can do this or put it in one of there racks, they charge the same price. Having them put it in and take it out of the water for me makes a day of boating much more enjoyable. You just have to call 1 hour ahead for launching. Plus keeping it on the trailer is better, just go and hitch up anytime if you want to go to another lake.