Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Becky's Garden (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16309)

The Boatwiser 08-11-2013 07:09 PM

Becky's Garden

Anyone know if Becky's cottage was ever put out this season?

gillygirl 08-11-2013 07:35 PM

Didn't see it July 26th.

tis 08-12-2013 06:19 AM

So strange you should ask that question. We went by there yesterday and remarked that the cottage was missing. I was going to ask what anyone knew. Anyway, we did not see it.

Phantom 08-12-2013 07:11 AM

I cannot swear to it --- but I am almost positive it was there on Memorial Day.

We also noted it was missing last week when we had guests out

Justenuff 08-12-2013 12:33 PM

Not there Week of July 27 -Aug 3

We paddled out a couple of times to see. Not there.
Was hoping it did not get washed off the island or destroyed during the winter.

Phantom 08-13-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justenuff (Post 210070)
We paddled out a couple of times to see. Not there.
Was hoping it did not get washed off the island or destroyed during the winter.

no fear on destroyed during the Winter ....

Becky's house always come in for the Winter ..... some mysterious "house snatcher" takes it off every year late Sept/ early Oct

The Boatwiser 08-14-2013 01:37 PM

Still no sign of the cottage

We went to breakfast at The Mug in Center Harbor this morning and took another look to see if the cottage was there - nope. Looks like this will be a year without Becky's cottage. If I remember correctly, a few years back it never made an appearance either but then returned the following year.

WakeUp 08-14-2013 03:55 PM

Beck'y Garden

Times got rough out on the 'Garden.'...I think the bank took over the little house. It might be on the auction block soon!!

tummyman 08-14-2013 04:44 PM

Sequestration finally hits the lake....no money. Fannie Mae called the loan. EPA also ruled the house non-conforming on an undersized lot too close to a body of water. Shoreland Protection Act kicked in.

First Mate 06-30-2014 11:23 AM

We were so happy to see that the cottage is on Becky's Garden! :)

Newbiesaukee 06-30-2014 11:37 AM

That's good news, we did not see it about 10 days ago.

Grove84 06-30-2014 12:02 PM

Becky's Garden

Is he house flying the Stars N Stripes for the 4h width bunting around the windows. There was one 4th where the house was decorated. I love showing this landmark to family and friends when they visit.:)

LIforrelaxin 06-30-2014 12:46 PM

excellent now we can bring the little kids over and tell them to look for the mouse family that lives their as we pass by.....

Phantom 06-30-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 227810)
excellent now we can bring the little kids over and tell them to look for the mouse family that lives their as we pass by.....

It's NOT the mouse family silly !!

It's Barbie & Ken's summer home .... and they are never seem to be home as there is never a boat parked at the dock

(That's the line we've always used) :D

Phantom 06-30-2014 01:18 PM

Barbie's Boat

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9556

case you didn't know what it looks like :laugh: :laugh:

Phantom 06-30-2014 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9557

Picture from Forum Photo's a few years back (quite some detail when you get up close).

AC2717 06-30-2014 01:39 PM

where is Becky's garden again?

Phantom 06-30-2014 02:08 PM

between Two Mile Isl & Black Cat Isl

"smallest island on the Lake"

glennsteely 07-02-2014 07:27 PM

Phantom.....

Barbies boat doesnt clearly display reg numbers.....also, I would check the motor may be too big for the boat, it is sitting a little low in the water......lol.

tis 07-03-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 227812)
It's NOT the mouse family silly !!

It's Barbie & Ken's summer home .... and they are never seem to be home as there is never a boat parked at the dock

(That's the line we've always used) :D

Love that Phantom!!! Never thought of that!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

garykunz 07-07-2014 03:33 PM

Becky's Garden "Doll House"

Becky's house was there yesterday.

Rich 07-09-2014 10:02 AM

I printed out this "Legend of Becky's Garden" and read it to everyone on board each time we visit it:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...7&d=1404152496

http://www.nhtourguide.com/legends/beckys_garden.htm
Quote:

Legend of Becky's Garden, an island on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire.

The Legend of Becky's Garden is about a girl named Rebecca. Rebecca was one of many siblings in a Center Harbor family. Her sisters were said to be "spoiled rotten girls" that always prettied themselves up looking for that one rich man they could cal their husband.

Rebecca was a pretty young girl who enjoyed the simple things in life, including gardening around her family home. Her gardens were her prize possession and she guarded them closely. One afternoon, her father's cattle escaped from their holding area, trampling and defecating in the beautiful gardens. Becky was horrified and deeply saddened by the destruction her father's cattle had caused to her gardens. Some suspect that Becky's sisters let the cattle out to do damage to Becky's gardens.

Becky's father felt terrible by the accident and offered her any island she wanted on Lake Winnipesaukee. Her sisters were highly offended that Becky would get her own island and they all wanted one too. After much debate their father agreed to give all of them their own island, but Becky would get the first choice of any island on the Lake because of what had happened to her gardens. Her sisters were once again upset by the news that Becky had the first choice and taunted her terribly. Becky felt bad for her sisters, so she chose the smallest island in the entire lake, allowing her sisters to get any of the larger islands they wanted, which they did. The island Becky chose was just a small pile of rocks with some bushes on them.

The news of Becky's generosity to her sisters was heard by many, including a wealthy young lad that was very intrigued by who this generous, loving woman was. He found out where she lived and paid her a visit, he was very attracted to her and they soon married.

Even though Becky chose the smallest island on Lake Winnipesaukee so that her selfish sisters could pick out the huge, luxurious islands they so desired, Becky found love with a wealthy young man and lived a happy life. Becky's sisters on the other hand, lived lonely lives on their huge islands.

It is now said that the smallest island produced the biggest results. This small island on Lake Winnipesaukee, now known as Becky's Garden, is adorned with a mini house that offers every detail, so the island can still be called inhabited and is still known as Becky's Garden.

Twomileisland 07-11-2014 01:56 PM

Becky's Garden

To all of you asking, Becky's house did NOT go out at all in 2013! We had it ready but the high water deterred us for so long, that we just didn't do it at all. The good news is that we did get it out a couple weeks ago, so it's on Becky's Garden for 2014 with lots if new little items.

As a possible point of interest, we pay the town of Meredith property taxes on that rock! Weird, but they require taxes and we're happy to own it and put the house out for others to enjoy. Hopefully most know of the folklore that goes with it. 😊

HellRaZoR004 07-11-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twomileisland (Post 228640)
To all of you asking, Becky's house did NOT go out at all in 2013! We had it ready but the high water deterred us for so long, that we just didn't do it at all. The good news is that we did get it out a couple weeks ago, so it's on Becky's Garden for 2014 with lots if new little items.

As a possible point of interest, we pay the town of Meredith property taxes on that rock! Weird, but they require taxes and we're happy to own it and put the house out for others to enjoy. Hopefully most know of the folklore that goes with it. 😊

That's very interesting. I hope they aren't charging you much.

glennsteely 07-12-2014 07:42 AM

I'm dying to know.....

I cant believe they charge you taxes on a rock!! What is the REAL folklore that goes with it? I'm dying to hear the real story....

Twomileisland 07-12-2014 10:57 AM

Becky's Garden

Actually there is a good version of the legend posted earlier by Rich, I believe. The one I use that's out on the island was printed in the Weirs Times as a reprint several years ago. We do actually get charged about $68/yr in taxes by Meredith...they also charge us for Gull Rock which is a trailer island to Two Mile and we affectionately renamed "Time Out" for the grandkids! Neither is inhabitable obviously. We find lots of joy seeing so many kayak, canoe & boat up to Becky's to look... Many additions to it this year as over time the little items rot from being out in all sorts of weather.

RailroadJoe 07-12-2014 04:37 PM

Many thanks to someone who really shows what is is to be a person of lake charm.

tis 07-12-2014 05:20 PM

Twomileisland, do you really let Ken and Barbie rent it for a couple of weeks in the summer?

glennsteely 07-13-2014 08:11 AM

if you let them rent.....

You should be able to offset that $68......lol.

Twomileisland 07-13-2014 09:58 AM

LOL is right! And Barbie & Ken are welcome....
Had an Indian squaw and a hula dancer on it for a couple of years. They'd been made for Becky's by a dear friend on Black Cat, Barb Trismen. Problem is very few dolls are made that actually "fit" the scale! It's fun.

Rich 07-14-2014 07:51 AM

Twomileisland,

Thanks so much for what you do!

But I have to ask, what is the town's reasoning for taxing you on that rock? This makes no sense at all.

winnigal 07-14-2014 12:24 PM

Becky's Garden

Twomileisland,

Thank you, thank you for Becky's Garden. My husband and I take our jetski out every year for our annual picture with the house in the background. We were able to do so last week. Your island is one our our lake treasures!

The Boatwiser 07-15-2014 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Winnigal / Boatwiser annual Becky's Garden photo for 2014

Jeanzb1 07-15-2014 11:40 AM

For those of us who have not visited Becky's Garden, the above picture puts the size in perspective! Thanks! Going by boat (not jetski) how close can you get to it without taking a huge chance?

glennsteely 07-15-2014 11:49 AM

Pretty close....

Ive been up pretty close, with a experienced, trusted spotter, but believe me, it is a very rocky and dangerous area. Surely beautiful though, and def worth a look. Maybe rowing, or a kayak or canoe is a better idea. Lake history at its finest!!

Greene's Basin Girl 07-15-2014 12:52 PM

How did you become owners of a rock? I don't understand? Was it by adverse possession?

ITD 07-15-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 228911)
For those of us who have not visited Becky's Garden, the above picture puts the size in perspective! Thanks! Going by boat (not jetski) how close can you get to it without taking a huge chance?

Depends on how much new props cost....... be very careful.

webmaster 07-16-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boatwiser (Post 228883)
The Winnigal / Boatwiser annual Becky's Garden photo for 2014

Great selfie! I hope you don't mind that I tweeted it out to our followers:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Becky's Garden, the smallest island (and cottage) on the lake. <a href="http://t.co/YeQB88jyu7">http://t.co/YeQB88jyu7</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/lakewinni?src=hash">#lakewinni</a> <a href="http://t.co/8rqhPrgqPs">pic.twitter.com/8rqhPrgqPs</a></p>&mdash; Lake Winnipesaukee (@iWinnipesaukee) <a href="https://twitter.com/iWinnipesaukee/statuses/489401726386978816">July 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cillovely 07-16-2014 08:46 AM

You learn something new every day!! I never had heard of Becky's garden before. And this year we are renting in Center Harbor for the first time, normally we are on the other side of the lake, so now I have something to look forward to trying to find. If I do find it, I'll use my zoom lens on my camera, I have had some bad luck with props :(

Rusty 07-16-2014 08:46 AM

I think it would look neat if it had a tiny dock with some tiny boats tied up to it.
The little people have to get to the house some how don't they?

ITD 07-16-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 229004)
I think it would look neat if it had a tiny dock with some tiny boats tied up to it.

That would require a shorelands permit and a permit to clear vegetation to the dock. No Bueno...

Rusty 07-16-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 229005)
That would require a shorelands permit and a permit to clear vegetation to the dock. No Bueno...

You're right ITD, what was I thinking. :(

Rich 07-16-2014 09:56 AM

It would probably also raise the taxes!!

I honestly can't believe that someone is paying taxes on this rock!

Is there a true and reasonable explanation as to why Twomileisland is paying even 1 cent a year for taxes on a rock on the lake?

Rich 07-16-2014 10:07 AM

Perhaps because it's a charted island that someone owns?

According to Lake Winni Historical Society:

http://www.lwhs.us/steam-earlysteamboats.htm

Quote:

Equally interesting is the legendary origin of Becky's Garden, the smallest charted island in the lake. An early settler of Center Harbor had several daughters, of whom the loveliest was Rebecca. While her sisters were frivolous and spoiled, Rebecca was a model young lady, and she beautified the surroundings of her father's house by her care of her garden, of which she was justly proud. One day her father's cattle escaped, and, before they were noticed, they had laid waste the beautiful garden plot. Rebecca was heartbroken, and her father, by way of consolation, offered her as a gift any one of the numerous islands in the lake which she might care to choose. Her sisters clamored for the same dower, and their father finally consented, giving Becky her first choice. This caused her sisters to be so envious that Becky decided to choose the smallest island she could find, and selected the one which bears her name today, an island that is scarcely more than a bush-covered rock. The other daughters picked out large, verdant islands.

The story of Becky's choice travelled far, as stories will; and a wealthy young farmer in the vicinity became so interested in hearing of the unselfish young maiden that he sought her acquaintance, and, finding her an attractive young lady, wooed and won her for his bride. Thus it was said that Becky's Garden, though the smallest of islands, produced the greatest results. Today, each year, a model house, complete in every detail, is placed on the island to distinguish it as inhabited despite its size-all in memory of the unspoiled Becky.

jmen24 07-16-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 229016)
It would probably also raise the taxes!!

I honestly can't believe that someone is paying taxes on this rock!

Is there a true and reasonable explanation as to why Twomileisland is paying even 1 cent a year for taxes on a rock on the lake?

It is a rock that has been determined to meet the criteria of an island, therefore it is taxed as such. I am thinking due to proximity, Twomileisland was given first right of refusal on whether they wanted that burden or not.

Seems cheap enough for the novelty of it!

On the dock permitting:

I would think getting a permit for a dock would be easy, it is just a simple wetlands app.

A boathouse on the other hand would likely cause this thread to get locked. :laugh:

tis 07-16-2014 11:41 AM

I bet there isn't enough frontage for even one dock, Rusty. Sorry, not allowed. :laugh:

SIKSUKR 07-16-2014 02:22 PM

The frontage needed should be scaled to the size of the dock. Shouldn't be an issue.:D What would be an issue is trying to scale the waves down to size, That little dock would almost always be under water.

Happy Gourmand 07-16-2014 02:35 PM

I think a floating dock with a wave attenuator would work.

wifi 07-16-2014 07:04 PM

Heck, the Meredith assessor page even has a picture of the house on
their "dues" page.... LOL, I needed that lift today :laugh:

(at least, I HOPE it was a joke on their part !!)

Misty Blue 07-19-2014 05:03 AM

Taxes?

Thanks for your wonderful stewardship of Becky's Garden. But watch out!

If the tax man finds out that you have upgraded the house he may pay you a visit!

BTW. I noticed that Barbi was driving the boat with Ken just sitting there like a sally man. I think that she should dump that wuss and latch up with GI Joe.

Misty Blue

Phantom 07-21-2014 06:37 AM

Misty --

He was NOT sitting there like a "sally" ...... he was doing the responsible thing !!

They had both been over to Braun Bay (a long trip in their small boat) for the day whereupon Ken had too many "refreshments" -- THUS Barbie, infuriated, drove home to Becky's Garden.

:D

Twomileisland 08-20-2014 05:45 PM

Docks and Small Boats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 229004)

I love the idea, however, it's difficult enough to get the house out on Becky's Garden and between the weather and wave action, a "dock" would have to be out of the water. I'll think it thru over the off season and who knows what you'll spins in 2015.

RLW 08-20-2014 06:49 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif Twomileisland, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Great to see u on the forum.:)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif