Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "Unique" Breakfast By Boat? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26226)

thinkxingu 08-17-2020 07:01 AM

"Unique" Breakfast By Boat?

One of our summer goals was to hit up Ames Farm for breakfast this summer, but we just discovered they closed last Monday (sad face!).

Are there any other "unique" breakfast places our family could visit by boat? That could mean in terms of history/offerings (I've read about AF's blueberry pancakes)/etc. If not, what's the best? We've only ever been to Sunshine and Pa's and George's.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

DBreskin 08-17-2020 08:21 AM

Farmer’s Kitchen in Wolfeboro gets good reviews although I haven’t been there myself yet.

fatlazyless 08-17-2020 08:57 AM

www.facebook.com/centerharbordiner ....... a brief walk up the road from the town dock ....... open 6am-2pm ...... six days/week ..... closed Tuesday ....... wanna get some real food ....... is the real deal here!

thinkxingu 08-17-2020 09:01 AM

I keep hearing the same, and the Yum Yum shop, which has absurdly good donuts, is just across the way for an appetizer!

I'm gonna go check their website for a menu right now—I was hoping to find something cool like Bananas Foster French Toast or Blueberry Crumble Waffles or some other excessively delicious breakfast/early-morning dessert options.

Descant 08-17-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 341787)
I keep hearing the same, and the Yum Yum shop, which has absurdly good donuts, is just across the way for an appetizer!

I'm gonna go check their website for a menu right now—I was hoping to find something cool like Bananas Foster French Toast or Blueberry Crumble Waffles or some other excessively delicious breakfast/early-morning dessert options.

Mmm. Those sound like specials, not regular menu items. You don't know the specials until the day of, except by reputation. Drifting in the broads at sunrise was always a special breakfast for me. Sometimes French Toast, sometimes cereal and juice with a banana.

mcdude 08-17-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 341787)

hmmmm....I see french toast with bananas and waffles with blueberries! Opens at 5 a.m. ....get it to go and enjoy while drifting on the lake!

https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/breakfast-menu

camp guy 08-17-2020 06:06 PM

"Unique" breakfast by boat

The Farmers Kitchen in Wolfeboro is great. Just boat to the Town docks in Wolfeboro, walk up to Main Street, and the Farmers Kitchen is immediately after the bridge on North Main Street. What is "unique" is that it is just plain good food - nothing fancy, nothing complicated.

Phantom 08-17-2020 06:53 PM

Georges diner - Meredith !

SAB1 08-19-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 341814)
The Farmers Kitchen in Wolfeboro is great. Just boat to the Town docks in Wolfeboro, walk up to Main Street, and the Farmers Kitchen is immediately after the bridge on North Main Street. What is "unique" is that it is just plain good food - nothing fancy, nothing complicated.

Very true. Also the portions are good................often can skip lunch after that!

ishoot308 08-19-2020 02:15 PM

Olde Bay

Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay...One of our favorites!

Dan

thinkxingu 08-19-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 341986)
Olde Bay Diner in Alton Bay...One of our favorites!

Dan

I've never heard of this place. Anything special to look for? We're heading out Friday AM, but we need to decide where!

Whimsey 08-19-2020 02:36 PM

Olde Bay Diner

I don't think the Olde Bay has been open since March. Some (but not all) of the signage has been removed, so check before travelling there.

ishoot308 08-19-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whimsey (Post 341991)
I don't think the Olde Bay has been open since March. Some (but not all) of the signage has been removed, so check before travelling there.

Their facebook page is active and says open tomorrow...They might have changed their hours so best to call... Great place for breakfast!

Edited to add: There is a google review from a month ago so I assume they are still open for business...

Dan

thinkxingu 08-19-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 341992)
Their facebook page is active and says open tomorrow...They might have changed their hours so best to call... Great place for breakfast!

Dan

I couldn't find a menu for it, but I did for The Farmer's Kitchen, and that looks pretty sweet...

ishoot308 08-19-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 341993)
I couldn't find a menu for it, but I did for The Farmer's Kitchen, and that looks pretty sweet...

Here ya go... https://www.zmenu.com/olde-bay-diner...y-online-menu/

Dan

thinkxingu 08-19-2020 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 341995)

Thanks!
I've looked at both, and I gotta go with The Farmer's Kitchen. The Olde Bay Diner is just standard fare, whereas TFK has stuff like this. I like variety!Attachment 16370

upthesaukee 08-19-2020 08:32 PM

Closed

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 341992)

Edited to add: There is a google review from a month ago so I assume they are still open for business...

Dan

Olde Bay Diner business is closed and has been since March.

Word had it that the owner(s) of Dockside in Alton Bay bought the business from Donna. We've seen some activity around the diner in the past week. Haven't heard when they are planning to open and whether they plan to have essentially the same menu that has been so successful over the years, or change things up.

Dave

ishoot308 08-19-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 342016)
Olde Bay Diner business is closed and has been since March.

Word had it that the owner(s) of Dockside in Alton Bay bought the business from Donna. We've seen some activity around the diner in the past week. Haven't heard when they are planning to open and whether they plan to have essentially the same menu that has been so successful over the years, or change things up.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was there last in February before a snowmobiling trip I was going on..did the COVID do them in? Sad either way as we loved The food and service there....

Wonder why google has a review of them Last month.....??

Dan

thinkxingu 08-20-2020 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 342018)
Hi Dave,

I was there last in February before a snowmobiling trip I was going on..did the COVID do them in? Sad either way as we loved The food and service there....

Dan

Definitely weird—Google doesn't show closed, either. Also, there are new posts daily on their Facebook page with no notice of closing that I can see.

jeffk 08-20-2020 06:28 AM

Downtown Grille Cafe in Wolfeboro. They have some seats outside overlooking the bay. They have a nice variety of muffins (grilled or not) for a starter and a nice menu as well. A wide variety of drinks. You order as you come in and pay, grab your coffee and take a seat. They bring the food to your table.

Farmer's kitchen is also good. Hearty food. If you are nervous about sitting near others at this time, the seats are somewhat close. We were there a few weeks ago and were comfortable but some might not be.

Menus for both are online.

We were also ready to go to Ames Farm last week and disappointed to find it closed.

I will give a Thumbs Up to the Center Harbor Diner as well. They did a complete remodel a few years ago. Very nice, good food.

Also in Center Harbor, if you are not early breakfast eaters, Gusto Italian Cafe opens at 9, Wed - Sun in Center Harbor. This place is a real gem with authentic food. They have a variety of unique breakfast sandwiches, Italian pastries, gourmet coffees, and a cozy atmosphere. Elena (from Italy) is an amazing host and Nick (a local boy, they are married) runs the kitchen. Almost everyone that goes there falls in love with the place. If you are looking for typical breakfast food taste and fast food, you shouldn't bother but if you want to slow down a bit and your taste buds WOKE, it's great. It's small and it can get busy but you can also get food to go and walk back to the town docks and sit by the lake.

upthesaukee 08-20-2020 07:45 AM

Yes and no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 342018)
Hi Dave,

Dan

Yes and no to Covid. The sale of the business (structure is owned by a landlord, business leases property) was to transfer sometime in April or May, I believe. When the restrictions hit, Donna closed the diner. Bad news, for a month or so she still had bills to pay. Good news, no long hours 5-6 hrs per day.

Google reviews: I believe it was last week I got an email from Google asking me to rate and review a business I was at in late June. I had got a request back then and didn't do anything. I think I bought a can of Seafoam. Not worth my time. It was like the latest was a reminder:eek:.

Back to the diner: agreed, good food and good service. It was a place where the locals go and "everybody knew your name. ".

Dave

upthesaukee 08-20-2020 07:56 AM

Olde Bay FB

Added new comment: Check Olde Bay Diner FB page and you will see regular posts going back several months. Included in those posts, mainly posts about drinking coffee, are parts about Dockside restaurant, who are the new owners.

Dave

Juiced06GTO 08-20-2020 01:27 PM

We hit up the Farmer's Kitchen in Farmington because it was closer to our cottage in Barnstead, same owners as the Wolfeboro location, it was great! They were great with my kids too, 3 and 5, portions were great and pricing was more than reasonable!

Phantom 08-20-2020 01:39 PM

Maybe I did not yell loud enough ----- GEORGES ! Meredith :D :D

thinkxingu 08-20-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 342058)
Maybe I did not yell loud enough ----- GEORGES ! Meredith :D :D

Soooo, we drive through Meredith and Center Harbor on the way to camp, so I've got a problem with taking the boat to those ports...

thinkxingu 08-21-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 342023)
Downtown Grille Cafe in Wolfeboro. They have some seats outside overlooking the bay. They have a nice variety of muffins (grilled or not) for a starter and a nice menu as well. A wide variety of drinks. You order as you come in and pay, grab your coffee and take a seat. They bring the food to your table.

Farmer's kitchen is also good. Hearty food. If you are nervous about sitting near others at this time, the seats are somewhat close. We were there a few weeks ago and were comfortable but some might not be.

Menus for both are online.

We were also ready to go to Ames Farm last week and disappointed to find it closed.

I will give a Thumbs Up to the Center Harbor Diner as well. They did a complete remodel a few years ago. Very nice, good food.

Also in Center Harbor, if you are not early breakfast eaters, Gusto Italian Cafe opens at 9, Wed - Sun in Center Harbor. This place is a real gem with authentic food. They have a variety of unique breakfast sandwiches, Italian pastries, gourmet coffees, and a cozy atmosphere. Elena (from Italy) is an amazing host and Nick (a local boy, they are married) runs the kitchen. Almost everyone that goes there falls in love with the place. If you are looking for typical breakfast food taste and fast food, you shouldn't bother but if you want to slow down a bit and your taste buds WOKE, it's great. It's small and it can get busy but you can also get food to go and walk back to the town docks and sit by the lake.

We're at the Farmer's Kitchen now and remembered your mention of the seating. Honestly, we were immediately taken aback a bit as, other than the servers having masks on, it's business as usual—since it's in Carroll County, there's no 50% capacity restriction, making this the first restaurant we've eaten in "normally" since March.

We've been pretty relaxed about the Covid thing—99% of what we do outside of sleeping is outside—but I'll be honest that it is on my mind a bit.

Edit: they opened the door and I can feel the breeze coming in—that made me feel better for some reason. It's very weird the effect these last few months have had on my thinking.

thinkxingu 08-21-2020 07:17 AM

Alright, my review: The Farmer's Kitchen is LEGIT. The kids' meals were $4 and came with juice and plenty of food (one got an egg, homefries, and toast; the other got a pancake and jumbo sausage). I got the Hungry Man's with apple streusel pancakes, which were perfect.

Parker's Maple Barn is my most favorite breakfast restaurant, but, and I'll need to visit another couple times before finalizing my decision, The Farmer's Kitchen may be a close second.

Interested in others' favorite breakfast places in NH.

DBreskin 08-21-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 342082)

Miss Wakefield Diner in Sanbornville gets consistently high reviews, but I haven’t been there myself yet.

Seaplane Pilot 08-21-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 342082)
Alright, my review: The Farmer's Kitchen is LEGIT. The kids' meals were $4 and came with juice and plenty of food (one got an egg, homefries, and toast; the other got a pancake and jumbo sausage). I got the Hungry Man's with apple streusel pancakes, which were perfect.

Parker's Maple Barn is my most favorite breakfast restaurant, but, and I'll need to visit another couple times before finalizing my decision, The Farmer's Kitchen may be a close second.

https://pollyspancakeparlor.com/

mcdude 08-21-2020 11:04 AM

Have you tried Kitchen Cravings

https://www.allmenus.com/nh/gilford/...cravings/menu/

or the Union Diner?

http://nebula.wsimg.com/58cf35d6c6b9...&alloworigin=1

http://nebula.wsimg.com/3fbca1f3c8e8...&alloworigin=1

jeffk 08-21-2020 02:00 PM

Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT? Must be one of those amphibious vehicles. :D Maybe the Union Diner but I don't know where you can dock nearby?

We were planning to go to the Farmer's Kitchen in Wolfeboro for breakfast this morning but at 8 am the place was packed. So we went to the Downtown Grille Cafe and had breakfast on the outside deck. Delicious and a beautiful view.

thinkxingu 08-21-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 342111)
Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT? Must be one of those amphibious vehicles. :D Maybe the Union Diner but I don't know where you can dock nearby?

We were planning to go to the Farmer's Kitchen in Wolfeboro for breakfast this morning but at 8 am the place was packed. So we went to the Downtown Grille Cafe and had breakfast on the outside deck. Delicious and a beautiful view.

There were waves. At 8 it was jammed, at 8:15-30 there were 4 or 5 open tables.

mcdude 08-21-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffk (Post 342111)
Miss Wakefield Diner, Polly's Pancake Parlor, Parker's Maple Barn, and Kitchen Cravings BY BOAT?

oops! Forgot about the boat part :look:

Seaplane Pilot 08-21-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdude (Post 342120)
oops! Forgot about the boat part :look:

Think asked “ Interested in others' favorite breakfast places in NH.” He didn’t specify by boat, so we’re ok!

thinkxingu 08-21-2020 03:53 PM

I love breakfast (well, food) anywhere!
We've had Polly's, and it's good, but it's not the same as it was. There was a little diner north of Tilton we went to a couple years ago that I got chicken and waffles at, and it was ridiculously good. There was also a pancake house not far from there that we tried another time. I'll try to find the names.

In the meantime, any killer breakfast places—with unique stuff/offerings—feel free to share. Please specify by boat or not, though!

GusMan 08-21-2020 07:30 PM

Not by boat breakfast...

Hi All,

I may have posted before, but if you're on the southern end of the lake and don't mind driving a bit to (or you're travelling through) Rochester NH... you have to try Little Miss Sophie's on route 11 just west of 16/Spaulding TPK.

Small place with excellent service and a huge menu of really unique stuff...

https://www.lilmisssophies.com/menu

I can't seem to get by the home made corned beef hash (house cooked CB brisket, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, onions.. like the day after St Patrick's day!) or the biscuits and sausage gravy (or both).

How about omelets with (along with he usual suspects) pulled pork? BBQ Smoked Brisket? Steak and Cheese? Four types of breakfast potatoes. House baked bread/toast?

And for the sweet tooths … many varieties of waffles, pancakes and crepes...

No affiliation... but very happy customers....

Cheers....

Gusman

KPW 08-22-2020 10:48 AM

Gustos Center Harbor

Italian breakfast/lunch/bakery. I have not tried it but it has great reviews.

https://gustoitaliancafe.business.site/

thinkxingu 08-22-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 342176)

Ok, so this fits into my "drive by, so don't find the joy in taking the boat to" category, BUT I've heard ridiculous things about this place, so I will be trying them sooner than later.

jeffk 08-22-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 342198)
Ok, so this fits into my "drive by, so don't find the joy in taking the boat to" category, BUT I've heard ridiculous things about this place, so I will be trying them sooner than later.

I don't think you will be disappointed. Some people are fanatic about their appreciation of the place. Remember they can be busy at their peak lunchtime. We usually try to get there early, say 11 or later, after 1. If you don't mind waiting you can get there when you want, place your order, get your drinks and relax.

Laconia Sun article link from January: Gusto Italian Cafe Article

Mr. V 08-23-2020 11:25 AM

...not by boat, but still worth going to ...

The Soda Shoppe in the heart of downtown Laconia.

The basics, done right: wide menu, great service, good value.

KPW 08-24-2020 07:23 PM

Gustos Center Harbor

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 342198)

It is an easy walk from the Center Harbor docks. That is why I mentioned it.

camp guy 08-24-2020 08:18 PM

"Unique" breakfast by boat

Well, not exactly by boat, but, nevertheless, definitely the best breakfast. My two granddaughters from Brooklyn were visiting recently and they combined their kitchen talents to make me breakfast at home. To tell you the absolute truth, I really can't remember what it actually was - I was having such a good time watching them work together in the kitchen to make it that I truly didn't care what it was. They made it, I ate it, and, as a bonus to them, I did the dishes.

LakeWinniMom 08-25-2020 11:28 AM

Benton's Sugar Shack

Drove the Sandwich Notch Road (AWD or 4-Wheel recommended) this past weekend to hike Beede Falls and check out the pond. Taking Sandwich Notch Road all the way takes you to a highway where Benton's Sugar Shack is about a 10 minute drive. Great way to spend a morning :)

thinkxingu 08-25-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeWinniMom (Post 342399)
Drove the Sandwich Notch Road (AWD or 4-Wheel recommended) this past weekend to hike Beede Falls and check out the pond. Taking Sandwich Notch Road all the way takes you to a highway where Benton's Sugar Shack is about a 10 minute drive. Great way to spend a morning :)

We drive that every fall, but didn't know about the Sugar Shack—guess we know what's going down in October!

XCR-700 08-26-2020 05:54 PM

Well I didnt start this thread, but I sure have benefited from it, in the last several days we visited the Union Diner, the Farmers Table, and Georges Diner and each one was a hit with our group.

All reasonably priced, good service and good food, LOTs of food too!

The only problem with a good breakfast is it sets you up to find a really good dinner, so we can say that the waterfront Tiki Bar at the Margate and Harts Turkey Farm both delivered!

Thanks to all who posted suggestions, we appreciated them.

BroadHopper 08-29-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

White Mountain Boogie and Blues across the street. Awesome event!

Patofnaud 08-31-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPW (Post 342176)

Seconded.

But get there off times, at noon on a weekend you may not find a seat. Breakfast may be a bit easier as they are still not fully 'discovered'. Great Italian fare. Lady that runs it is smiling and nice to everyone who comes in. Food is great.

thinkxingu 10-09-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Early tomorrow AM we're heading to Benton's and then driving home via Sandwich Notch Road!

LakeWinniMom 10-12-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 344871)
Early tomorrow AM we're heading to Benton's and then driving home via Sandwich Notch Road!

Hope you had a great time!

C Tucker 10-12-2020 09:34 AM

Circle Restaurant - Epsom Circle

I mention this location in my town as we have so many travelers to the Wolfeboro side of the lake that use Route 28. Circle Restaurant at Epsom Circle (Rte 28 and Rte 4 junction). We are regulars each Saturday and there are always terrific specials. Recent favorites of my husband - banana chocolate chip pancakes with sausage links/Breakfast tacos.

thinkxingu 10-12-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeWinniMom (Post 344973)
Hope you had a great time!

We had a wonderful time! What a great half-day trip.