Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Insurance for island properties (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27044)

Waco1148 05-26-2021 09:41 AM

Insurance for island properties

Having trouble getting homeowners/fire insurance for an island property, they say that in case of fire it would be a total loss, therefore won't issue a fire policy. There are hundreds of cottages and homes on unbridged islands on Winni, some much nicer than mine. Hard to believe that none of them have insurance, so what do they have? Would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Sue Doe-Nym 05-26-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco1148 (Post 356064)
Having trouble getting homeowners/fire insurance for an island property, they say that in case of fire it would be a total loss, therefore won't issue a fire policy. There are hundreds of cottages and homes on unbridged islands on Winni, some much nicer than mine. Hard to believe that none of them have insurance, so what do they have? Would appreciate any advice on this subject.

I just talked to our Allstate agent in Wolfeboro. They might be able to help you.
Jon Clark or Courtney Corbett @569-0110. Good luck.
Sue

Formula260SS 05-26-2021 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco1148 (Post 356064)

Try State farm

Slickcraft 05-26-2021 11:05 AM

Also try an independent agency like NFP or Cross.

https://www.co-opinsurance.com/agent...s-Wolfeboro-NH

We were setup with the Concord Group insurance by NFP. In order to cover the island property, we also had to list our home and auto insurance with them.

Descant 05-26-2021 11:12 AM

Mine happens to be with Liberty Mutual. My understanding is they usually do thius as accommodation to existing customers, not as a lead line. That could have changed since I started many years ago.
There are other threads here that discuss this issue, many local agents who will cover island properties. Whoever handles your primary home/auto/boat, even if out of state, should be the first call. If all your business is scattered, it will be more difficult.

Diana 05-26-2021 12:54 PM

Melchor and Prescott got ours for us, i think it's Vermont mutual.

The Real BigGuy 05-26-2021 03:30 PM

I recently got a policy from Liberty Mutual thru Geico when I bundled my home, auto, and Island home with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

CowTimes 05-26-2021 05:49 PM

We and a few of our island neighbors go through Avery Insurance in Wolfeboro. We have had our policy through Phenix Mutual for probably 10+ years, and I know that they also do island insurance through Hanover (but I think Hanover requires you to do a bundle for them to cover island properties). My suggestion is to go through a local insurance agency around the lake like Avery, as island property insurance seems to raise a whole bunch of peculiarities that most agents/companies aren’t familiar with (I recall the fact that we drew water from the lake instead of a well was somehow an issue for a lot of companies, and that was just one of the issues when I tried to find an insurance company on my own).

Winilyme 05-26-2021 08:50 PM

Call these guys. Very helpful and responsive. They'll hook you up with some options.

https://the-insurance-outlet.com/

codeman671 05-26-2021 09:14 PM

We use Hanover and bundle with our home and vehicles.
It was much cheaper and gave us all of the same liability coverages and benefits our main house has. Other providers were just offering a fire loss only policy for 2x what we pay.

MAXUM 05-27-2021 01:01 PM

I have State Farm. They did dictate the terms of the policy and coverage limits since I also carry an umbrella policy with them. It’s pretty much written up as a catastrophic policy due to the location it’s expected that if something like a fire were to break out the building would be a total loss. Coverage is identical in terms of comparing to my primary residence just that the cost is more due to the aforementioned. Annual cost is not bad since I use them for everything and heavily discount bundled insurance policies.

Bear Islander 05-27-2021 03:22 PM

A few years ago we did a survey of where Bear Island residents got their insurance. Some carriers will keep you on if you are grandfathered. Some will take you if you bundle with other insurance. Some offer limited policies.

The only carrier we could find that was writing new, stand alone, full coverage was Lloyds. The American version of Lloyds of London. We are signed up with them through Decotis www.decotis.com However there are other agents that use Lloyds.

Mink Islander 05-28-2021 01:05 PM

LLoyds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Islander (Post 356134)
A few years ago we did a survey of where Bear Island residents got their insurance. Some carriers will keep you on if you are grandfathered. Some will take you if you bundle with other insurance. Some offer limited policies.

The only carrier we could find that was writing new, stand alone, full coverage was Lloyds. The American version of Lloyds of London. We are signed up with them through Decotis www.decotis.com However there are other agents that use Lloyds.

Lloyd’s is where we ended up a few years ago when our prior insurer (where we were bundling all our business), dropped us on the island homeowners. Needless to say, we moved all or other business….

Keel Holler 06-04-2021 09:13 PM

When we bought our island place a couple years ago, we had the same problem. We had used State Farm for years for other property and cars, but State Farm wouldn’t insure the island place. We called around, but kept finding that companies just automatically refused island property.
Anyway, we ended up using Avery in Wolfeboro, and we could only get bundled insurance. We moved all our policies to Hanover. In all- I second CowTimes & suggest you talk to Avery or another local agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app