Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Nav lights problem (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20755)

dippasan 06-14-2016 07:01 AM

Nav lights problem

Hi. Folks,
Looking for a local shop that might specialize in boat electrical.
My sons 1997 19' Four Winns is having problems with the nav lights.

Problem started with the bow light being on all the time when the boat was running now neither bow or stern light works. I replaced the 3 way switch to no avail. Fuse is fine.

Thanks

ishoot308 06-14-2016 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 263578)
Hi. Folks,
Looking for a local shop that might specialize in boat electrical.
My sons 1997 19' Four Winns is having problems with the nav lights.

Problem started with the bow light being on all the time when the boat was running now neither bow or stern light works. I replaced the 3 way switch to no avail. Fuse is fine.

Thanks

Contact Nick here....http://www.nwmarineindustries.com/

Nice guy, local and knows what he is doing!

Good luck!

Dan

dippasan 06-14-2016 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 263579)

Good luck!

Dan

Awesome
Thanks for the quick reply

dippasan 06-20-2016 10:11 AM

Thanks ishoot308 and Thanks Nick from NW Marine!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 263580)
Awesome
Thanks for the quick reply

Thanks ishoot308 for the great tip on NW Marine!
I called Nick. His reply was immediate. I drove the boat to the Meredith Town docks and he met me there promptly at 9:00am Sunday (Fathers Day) and had my electrical problem fixed in no time. He's a great guy and surely does know what he's doing. Very reasonable pricing as well.

I manage a service organization for a global company so I know how important and unfortunately, rare it can be to get great service these days. Nick exceeded my expectations.

If you have any electrical issues.....call Nick at NW Marine!!

Dave R 06-20-2016 11:06 AM

What was the problem? Guessing a ground issue.

dippasan 06-23-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 263882)
What was the problem? Guessing a ground issue.

Most of the problem was caused by my own mistake. I inadvertently put a single contact bulb into the double contact receptacle for the bow nav light so it was making contact with both posts in the socket. I don't know how I did that. I have a nice organizer with lots of different automotive bulbs but some how I just grabbed the wrong one at some point but what's more frustrating is that I wasn't able to solve it on my own.
He also found a switched 12v wire or that was supposed to be connected to the ignition but was connected to the nav switch powering the light whenever the key is on

Thanks.

LIforrelaxin 06-23-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 264072)
Most of the problem was caused by my own mistake. I inadvertently put a single contact bulb into the double contact receptacle for the bow nav light so it was making contact with both posts in the socket. I don't know how I did that. I have a nice organizer with lots of different automotive bulbs but some how I just grabbed the wrong one at some point but what's more frustrating is that I wasn't able to solve it on my own.
He also found a switched 12v wire or that was supposed to be connected to the ignition but was connected to the nav switch powering the light whenever the key is on

Thanks.

We all have those Bonehead moments.... when we think we have done something right it is very had to convince ourselves other wise.....

dippasan 06-23-2016 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 264073)
We all have those Bonehead moments.... when we think we have done something right it is very had to convince ourselves other wise.....

Yup!!
Sometimes I outsmart myself without even tryin'.:cool:

BroadHopper 06-24-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 264073)

School of Hard Knocks graduate.

jeffatsquam 07-12-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 263579)

Good luck!

Dan

Based on this thread and link I contacted Nick about a problem with my old John Deere lawn tractor.

Nick got right back to me made arrangements to stop by at my convenience. Dove right in to the previous owners jerry rigging, cleaned it all up, explained the whole system to me ,laid out what to do for preventive maintenance.

Tremendous resource, nice guy Highly recommend

bigdog 08-23-2016 07:48 PM

Having Nav lights problem also.

Bow lights 'were' working ok, but Stern night was out, now both are out.

Also, my GPS Garwin does not seem to be working, but suspect it is a power issue....

Other accessories working OK, bilge, live well aerator, etc

On each accessory switch on dash, directly above the switch, I have a panel mount fuse holder which unscrews. I unscrewed the cap, and it contains some type of fuse, but not your normal type ? Looks like these pull out, but did not attempt ?

Going to give NWMI Electronics in Meredith a call, I hear the owner Nick helped others on Forum with issues.

dippasan 08-24-2016 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 267932)
Having Nav lights problem also.

Bow lights 'were' working ok, but Stern night was out, now both are out.

Also, my GPS Garwin does not seem to be working, but suspect it is a power issue....

Other accessories working OK, bilge, live well aerator, etc

On each accessory switch on dash, directly above the switch, I have a panel mount fuse holder which unscrews. I unscrewed the cap, and it contains some type of fuse, but not your normal type ? Looks like these pull out, but did not attempt ?

Going to give NWMI Electronics in Meredith a call, I hear the owner Nick helped others on Forum with issues.

Piece of cake for Nick