Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Year Round Storage Recommendation for Vehicle (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26927)

lakeadoodle 04-16-2021 05:00 PM

Year Round Storage Recommendation for Vehicle

Forum - looking for recommendations for indoor storage facility (year round) for one automobile (M'boro, Meredith, Center Harbor). Thanks in advance.

Descant 04-16-2021 05:07 PM

Self Storage

Many self-storage facilities can accommodate cars.

TheProfessor 04-16-2021 06:01 PM

Few if any have any extra garage space or barn space.

But, find the address of the local Women's Clubs. Usually a PO Box.
Write a letter to the Women's Club.

You might be surprised and find a nice single lady or widow with extra garage space.

ApS 04-16-2021 07:05 PM

Got Room?

About 30 years ago, I got a super deal on a 24-foot enclosed car trailer, and had it placed it on my lot. It has stored various cars for years and years at no additional cost (or rent). A Craigslist "WTB" ad could turn one up.

I never asked, but I think homeowners insurance would cover both trailer and car.

The height of the stored vehicle could be the only restriction. (One of my cars doesn't fit, due to height). :(

Descant 04-16-2021 08:46 PM

not covered

Homeowners insurance doesn't cover motor vehicle that should be covered under an auto policy. (Or a boat or trailer policy. Maybe your tractor)

upthesaukee 04-16-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 353753)
About 30 years ago, I got a super deal on a 24-foot enclosed car trailer, and had it placed it on my lot. It has stored various cars for years and years at no additional cost (or rent). A Craigslist "WTB" ad could turn one up.
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"][COLOR="black"]
I never asked, but I think homeowners insurance would cover both trailer and car.

The height of the stored vehicle could be the only restriction. (One of my cars doesn't fit, due to height). :(

Coverage for an auto in storage is under auto policy "Comprehensive" coverage, also known as Other than Collision (OTC) coverage. This coverage covers fire, theft, hail, glass breakage, vandalism, etc,. Your vehicle will never be covered under a homeowner policy.

Dave

ApS 04-17-2021 08:17 PM

Say, Forest Fire, Lightning, Wild Fire, Fallen Transmission Lines?

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 353761)
Coverage for an auto in storage is under auto policy "Comprehensive" coverage, also known as Other than Collision (OTC) coverage. This coverage covers fire, theft, hail, glass breakage, vandalism, etc,. Your vehicle will never be covered under a homeowner policy.
Dave

In my case, the enclosed car trailer was more costly (new) than any car I stored in it.

Under what policy would the trailer be covered, should a trailer fire result in loss of both car and trailer?

CooperS7777 04-17-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 353804)
In my case, the enclosed car trailer was more costly (new) than any car I stored in it.

Under what policy would the trailer be covered, should a trailer fire result in loss of both car and trailer?

Under my policies, a trailer (and its contents) are covered by the insurance of the vehicle I am towing it with. Additionally, I have a policy specific to both my enclosed car trailer and my boat trailer, which covers theft of the trailer, and the contents at all times (stored along side the house, at a job site, rental property etc), as well as damage; acts of god, fire, vandalism, accident etc. I believe this costs me an additional ~200 a year.

This allows me to have full coverage while towing a trailer that does not belong to me (helping my folks move their enclosed trailer, helping a friend out, borrowing a trailer etc.) as well as full coverage on my own personal trailers when they are not in use.

upthesaukee 04-17-2021 09:50 PM

Auto

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 353804)

Auto policy. When I worked in the industry, there was no coverage for a trailer under a homeowner policy, only the auto policy.

When in doubt, read your policy and/ or talk to your agent.

Dave

Descant 04-17-2021 10:02 PM

All in the right place

As Dave has implied above, boats are covered under boat policies. Cars are covered under car policies and personal property is covered under a Homeowners policy. There are a few extensions, e.g. some personal property like fishing gear, could be under your boat policy. Basically, trying to pretend that your car is personal property, and not an auto and is covered under homeowners insurance, just won't work. Why would you ever think insurance companies, with hundreds of years of experience and related court cases, aren't as smart as you? In the current colloquialism "C'mon, Man "

BroadHopper 04-18-2021 05:33 AM

Classic cars, RVs

I do know if you have an RV or auto with antique plates, you can call the insurance company that you are putting your vehicle into storage. Call when you take it out of storage. Save tons of money. Not sure if you need plates. Most municipalities will not allow more than one unregistered vehicle on your property. Give them a call.

upthesaukee 04-18-2021 07:41 AM

Stripping coverage

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 353811)
I do know if you have an RV or auto with antique plates, you can call the insurance company that you are putting your vehicle into storage. Call when you take it out of storage. Save tons of money. Not sure if you need plates. Most municipalities will not allow more than one unregistered vehicle on your property. Give them a call.

Most, if not all, insurance companies and states allow the insured to deleted all coverages except Comprehensive on vehicles that are laid up for a period of time. Think motorcycles during the winter, RVs in northern climes during the winter, classic or "Summah" cars etc..

When you're ready to drive, you simply call your agent and tell them to put the other coverages back in force. It is a tremendous savings on policy costs.

Dave

MotorHead 04-18-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 353818)
Most, if not all, insurance companies and states allow the insured to deleted all coverages except Comprehensive on vehicles that are laid up for a period of time. Think motorcycles during the winter, RVs in northern climes during the winter, classic or "Summah" cars etc..

When you're ready to drive, you simply call your agent and tell them to put the other coverages back in force. It is a tremendous savings on policy costs.

Dave

Can you do the same with a boat or JetSki ?

upthesaukee 04-18-2021 08:55 AM

Depends on the policy

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 353819)
Can you do the same with a boat or JetSki ?

That really depends on the policy. My progressive policy provided year round in or out of water coverage, but was so inexpensive I never checked into any suspension period.

Some policies have a built in navigation suspension period, typically from Nov 1 to Apr 1, where there is no in- water coverage.

Watercraft policies vary greatly and you need to check your own policy, or ask the question to an agent if you are shopping around.

Dave.

tis 04-18-2021 12:24 PM

I was told you could not suspend boats as you can autos, rv s , motorcycles, etc. because they do have a 6 month period when they are expected to be out of the water.