Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Blue Heron (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23847)

Biggd 09-17-2018 09:53 AM

Blue Heron

A few weeks ago, sitting on my front deck, I noticed a large blueish/gray bird walking in our front yard. I had never seen one before so we looked it I and I believe it was a Blue Heron.
I tried to get closer to it to get a good picture with my phone but it took off before I could snap it. What a beautiful bird.

garysanfran 09-17-2018 04:24 PM

Blue heron...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 302168)
A few weeks ago, sitting on my front deck, I noticed a large blueish/gray bird walking in our front yard. I had never seen one before so we looked it I and I believe it was a Blue Heron.
I tried to get closer to it to get a good picture with my phone but it took off before I could snap it. What a beautiful bird.

One hangs out near me...

Barney Bear 09-17-2018 05:14 PM

Heron Here

A bold blue heron regularly visits our waterfront area at our location on East Bear Island. It ignores our dogs that race down to our dock to greet it. I have been able to stand nearby to watch it catch and gulp down small fish. 🐻

loonguy 09-17-2018 06:20 PM

We see one regularly near the Loon Center as well.

tis 09-17-2018 06:32 PM

When we first built our house many years ago, a blue heron used to come hunt in front of the house every morning. When I got up and it was still dark, he/she could see my shadow before I even before turned the kitchen light on, and flew away. Gradually it got used to me and eventually wouldn't even move when I went outside. It's funny how the wildlife gets used to you.

ApS 09-18-2018 02:20 AM

Meany...!

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 302191)
One hangs out near me...

While the occurrence isn't particularly rare, about a week ago, two flew across the lake to our lot. It didn't take long for the "territorial-urge" to raise its head, and one chased the other away. (And yet again—an hour later).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 302214)
And an amazing predator, they can catch kill and eat just about anything they can swallow dead or alive.

Probably the world's "meanest" bird! :eek2:

Four or five can be seen at one time at Copp's Pond (an outpost led-to by a poorly-marked trail off 109A) in Tuftonboro. :look:

One was seen killed by a Bald Eagle in Florida—perhaps this heron's only predator.

I'm accustomed to seeing these walking onto lawns at a Florida lake. When fishing is lean at the shoreline, they'll stalk the shrubbery near houses—grabbing lizards for a snack: also ducklings, snakes, frogs, and weasels (!) :eek:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tely-bird.html

steve-on-mark 09-18-2018 04:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 302168)

Here you go!Attachment 14229

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 09-18-2018 06:03 AM

Beautiful birds, though most of the time I don't notice them until they take flight!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hillcountry 09-18-2018 10:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This guy/gal was on a beach in Florida a few years back...you could approach really close before he got nervous...he was waiting for a fisherman to catch something for him and even did a little shoreline e dance for us! Stunning birds!

JEEPONLY 09-18-2018 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was not an unusual summer-sight just above the dam where the November salmon stripping takes place in Melvin. Seem MUCH BIGGER when they fly!