Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Automotive (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Transmission service.... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10106)

Hermit Cover 06-07-2010 09:40 PM

Transmission service....

Need to find a reliable auto transmission service....used Globe when they were in Gilford and they moved. Appreciate any recommendations...

jniff101 06-08-2010 06:51 AM

Red Hill Auto

Red Hill Auto (the Center Harbor Irving)does flushes...not sure how much you want done but they have to be the most honest guys you'll ever meet so you know your not gonna get scamed.

Pepper 06-08-2010 07:27 AM

Lifetime

Sadly the owner of Globe passed away, and his lead technician has moved on to a different line of work. The good news is that one of the other techs has relocated to Lifetime Transmissions on Union Avenue, across from Irwin Marine. They stand behind their work, literally, for a lifetime. ;)

Belmont Resident 06-08-2010 05:19 PM

I'd recommend also

Brought my F350 to lifetime and he went through it, checked for error codes, changed filter and flushed for less than 100.00
He's got my business.

BostonWhaler 06-08-2010 05:49 PM

Depends on what you want done...

A full automatic transmission rebuild? I wouldn't trust anyone in the lakes region. A flush/pan drop/filter replacement and refill? Several places I'd recommend, but it depends on the make and model (some require special tools only found at dealers and specialized indy shops).

For general repair, I've had good luck with Red Hill auto in Moultonboro, and Latchkey in Meredith. Post back with more info on what you need done, and on what vehicle.

Edit... I'm very surprised at the recommendations for Globe (even though they've moved apparently). I brought a Honda to them 15 years ago for a rebuild and it took them five (!) times to get it right, each time with the trans leaving me waiting for a tow on the side of the road somewhere. I wouldn't recommend them to Satan himself.

pah 06-08-2010 06:09 PM

I would not consider using latchkey. The reputation among the Meredith locals is not good.

dpg 06-09-2010 06:24 AM

Although bigger money (usually) a dealer that sells the make of your car may be your best bet. Again depending on your work...You left out the most important part... :rolleye2:

Hermit Cover 06-09-2010 07:31 AM

'Shuddering....

The Ford Windstar van has 120k miles and the transmission is slipping...shuddering...??? Thanks:confused:

C Tucker 06-09-2010 09:18 AM

Avoid Latchkey - I made my mistake, worst in my life.

Happy Gourmand 06-09-2010 10:52 AM

Tranny Service

Have it serviced at a place where they can drain and flush ALL the fluid out and then replace it with new. This takes special equipment that all repair shops don't have. If I recall correctly, it should cost $90 to $100. If you have never had this done, it may be all you need.