Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Old Landline No Longer Working (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29018)

LakeSummerFun 08-09-2023 09:02 AM

Old Landline No Longer Working

The old landline at my parents' house on East Bear stopped working about 2 weeks ago. When you call you hear "message 87 landline not accepting calls at this time." They are also unable to call out. (Their internet is fine.) Any thoughts or suggestions? They would like to maintain the landline. I have called the Town of Meredith and left messages. Thank you.

upthesaukee 08-09-2023 09:10 AM

Landline provider

I would call your provider of regular telephone service (Verizon, Breezeline, Consolidated Communications, etc).

Look at your last bill for landline service. They should have a number for reporting issues.

Dave

granitebox 08-09-2023 09:51 AM

On East Bear I'll bet you have Consolidated Communications as provider - try 866-984-3001

Biggd 08-09-2023 10:09 AM

My son just added a landline to his home, and he had to get a new router because his old one wouldn't accept a landline, just a thought.

TheTimeTraveler 08-09-2023 10:14 AM

Landline... What's that?

The younger generations don't have a clue what a landline or pay telephone is!

tis 08-09-2023 11:59 AM

I got a notice my copper landline was going up to 100 more a month and we don't use it all that much so didn't want to pay that. I debated if we should drop a landline completely but because there are lots of people that have that number I decided to keep it. I bought an OOma and installed it and love it! It installed easy and works great. You are limited to 4 phones with it but I really don't notice any difference between the true landline (wired)and this. You pay taxes which are about $7.00 a month and that's it. I did pay the 49.99 to have my number ported because that was my main reason to keep it. Of course if the internet goes out it doesn't work but then we have the cells. Magic Jack does not work in three states-Hawaii, Alaska and NH so you can't use that here.

The Real BigGuy 08-09-2023 01:20 PM

Wow!! I have never heard of anyone paying close to 100/mo for a simple copper phone line. That must be a new record. I have a copper line that provides DSL for internet & a phone number but no phone. I pay less then 1/2 of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheProfessor 08-09-2023 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 386439)
My son just added a landline to his home, and he had to get a new router because his old one wouldn't accept a landline, just a thought.

There is a difference between a 4 wire copper and an internet telephone that comes combined with cable TV/internet.

As stated above, read the bill and contact customer service. The name of company on the bill.
Then a technician will come to repair.

navymom01 08-09-2023 05:15 PM

Is there another company besides Breezeline ? They are just horrible service. Have to talk to India and they have never been able to give us service. We are off of cattle landing road in Meredith. Thank you

tis 08-09-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 386446)
Wow!! I have never heard of anyone paying close to 100/mo for a simple copper phone line. That must be a new record. I have a copper line that provides DSL for internet & a phone number but no phone. I pay less then 1/2 of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I agree, I never heard of it either and didn't want to pay it. It was a great company called First Light but they said they were losing money so couldn't do it anymore. They were originally in Portsmouth under another name but moved to NY a few years ago.

Biggd 08-09-2023 06:59 PM

My son, 35 with 2 little girls, 7 and 8, just bought a landline phone so his kids could call out in an emergency.
He sent me a picture of a slimline phone with a curly cue cord, I didn't think they even sold them anymore, LOL.
He didn't want a portable phone because he knew they would lose it.

NH.Solar 08-10-2023 08:27 AM

If you have good internet you can use an inexpensive device called an Obihai and move your number over to be conducted through Google Voice. I've been using this for years and it works flawlessly.
You won't be able to port your landline number over directly however because Obihai only transfers cell numbers. You can get around this easilyhowever by buying a throwaway cell, transferring your existing landline number to the throwaway, and then from that cell to Obihai.

Descant 08-10-2023 08:59 AM

Not sold anymore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 386457)
My son, 35 with 2 little girls, 7 and 8, just bought a landline phone so his kids could call out in an emergency.
He sent me a picture of a slimline phone with a curly cue cord, I didn't think they even sold them anymore, LOL.
He didn't want a portable phone because he knew they would lose it.

So your son bought a slimline? Grandparents can be real heroes and buy a nice "Barbie Pink" Princess phone! It won't cost any more to have two phones plugged in, in different rooms.

TheTimeTraveler 08-10-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH.Solar (Post 386465)
If you have good internet you can use an inexpensive device called an Obihai and move your number over to be conducted through Google Voice. I've been using this for years and it works flawlessly.
You won't be able to port your landline number over directly however because Obihai only transfers cell numbers. You can get around this easilyhowever by buying a throwaway cell, transferring your existing landline number to the throwaway, and then from that cell to Obihai.

Likely better off just using the cell phone for calls (and give up the landline).

thinkxingu 08-10-2023 11:05 AM

Since at least 2008, my cell phone has been more reliable than both landlines and Internet.

We've not had a landline since 2007 and have never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Biggd 08-10-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 386467)
So your son bought a slimline? Grandparents can be real heroes and buy a nice "Barbie Pink" Princess phone! It won't cost any more to have two phones plugged in, in different rooms.

Slimline is what I use to call it, I'm dating myself. I'm not sure what they call them now or who makes them, but it looked the same. :D

ApS 08-10-2023 03:34 PM

Lights Up...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 386467)

Princess telephones are still available in ivory-white and has a great feature of lighting the dial in the dark.

https://hchm.org/its-little-its-love...ess-telephone/

Technicians tell me that AT&T made the very best telephones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 386470)
Since at least 2008, my cell phone has been more reliable than both landlines and Internet. We've not had a landline since 2007 and have never had an issue.

I'd chip-in to keep a neighbor on a landline. (Because you never know--and a family member has one).

Descant 08-10-2023 04:30 PM

If you have a security system that calls a central monitor, doesn't that require internet or a landline? My landlines operate through my cable provider.

Winilyme 08-10-2023 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 386489)
If you have a security system that calls a central monitor, doesn't that require internet or a landline? My landlines operate through my cable provider.

Nope. Ours works via cell.