Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Winnisquam Boat & Ski Club Memorabilia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25249)

RayBob 12-22-2019 03:40 PM

Winnisquam Boat & Ski Club Memorabilia

1 Attachment(s)
Just found this "treasure" in an old box that I hadn't opened in a "few" years! It brought back great memories of competing on Lake Winnisquam and Lake Winnipesaukee while towing Tommy Madden at close to 70 MPH behind my HydroStream Viper! I wish I still had that boat..

BroadHopper 12-23-2019 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinTheLake (Post 276531)
Thanks Broadhopper. Yes! I would love to be put in touch with Alice. The whole question of pre-1950 is what I'm working on right now, but there's so much I want to know about all early skiing! Do I find 'Jack' at Irwin's Marina?

Thought I have replied to this but looks like I did not!
PM me your email and I will forward it to Allie. Did you know Mrs. Cyran passed recently? She was the Secretary/Treasurer of the Winni Water Ski Racing Assoc. She had tons of stuff as well! I can also get in touch with her daughter Mary Jo and see if you can have access to the stuff. I know they are out there! Just need to find them!

BroadHopper 12-23-2019 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 15513

Attachment 15514

Barney Bear 12-25-2019 03:21 PM

Name?

Hydrodyne. 🐻

RayBob 12-27-2019 03:59 PM

Fond Memories...

I also still have one of the steins for 1st Place Driver! A few pictures of my red metalflake Hydrostream Viper at an event on Winnisquam (B3 on the engine cowling) is in an earlier post by sloboat.
That boat was "wicked" fast with the 115 Merc!

RayBob 12-27-2019 04:17 PM

I also still have one of the steins for 1st Place Driver! A few (grainy) pictures of my red metalflake Hydrostream Viper at an event on Winnisquam (B3 on the engine cowling) is in an earlier post by sloboat.
That boat was "wicked" fast with the 115 Merc!

winnisquam 12-27-2019 06:43 PM

Sloboat 8/9/13 Post - Photos Found

The 6th picture down in the post is me wearing a blue jacket, my buddy to the right in a grey sweatshirt. The 6th picture down was his family's bow rider boat on the other side of the 2 hydro planes. Location was Bartlett Beach on Laconia side of Winnisquam. Prior, the races started from the Lower Bay road side of the lake, to funny . . .

Descant 12-27-2019 09:01 PM

recollections

The boats pictured above were, as I recall, Hydrodynes. They were a derivative of a hull designed by Ab Crosby. Some of you may remember Crosby boats in the 60's. Goodhue Boat Yard in Glendale sponsored a couple of these, a twin engine and a single engine Merc. Another sponsors, if I recall correctly, was Channel Marine, racing a Century Coronado.
A couple of years ago, the Winnipesaukee Museum did a presentation on water ski racing . If they did a video about it, there wold be a lot of info there from drivers and skiers. (I drove, but my boat never won)

winnisquam 12-28-2019 10:21 AM

Yes, Ferry Point, and I remember the ski jump located just north of that location. I found the bill of sale for our Lower Bay road property over the past weekend. Dated July 1950, $1,500 for 2 acres with 175' of frontage. Spent that on family dinner over Xmas, my grandfather would be horrified!

Wifi-1 12-28-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnisquam (Post 324365)
Yes, Ferry Point, and I remember the ski jump located just north of that location. I found the bill of sale for our Lower Bay road property over the past weekend. Dated July 1950, $1,500 for 2 acres with 175' of frontage. Spent that on family dinner over Xmas, my grandfather would be horrified!

Appears shocking, but if you figure inflation, the 1950 $1500 converts to $16K in today's money, then there is the improvement cost over the last ~70 years, plus the taxes... I'd say you are lucky to have/had that property.