Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Oak Birch Inn Alton Bay (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460)

Just Sold 01-21-2005 03:08 PM

Oak Birch Inn Alton Bay

What ever happened to the rebuilding of the Oak Birch Inn in Alton Bay?

The Union Leader August 30, 1991
Court OK's Rebuilding Inn: Abutter Fought Permit for Burned Alton Bay Landmark

ALTON - Richard Stocker, owner of a historic inn which was destroyed by fire on April 4, 1989, says he plans to rebuild the inn now that a court decision has cleared the way for him to receive a building permit.
Stocker said he plans to push ahead with plans to rebuild the Oak Birch Inn, a 19th century Alton Bay landmark, although he doesn't expect construction to begin until next spring. He said the decision, handed down last week in Belknap County Superior Court.

gtxrider 01-22-2005 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Sold
What ever happened to the rebuilding of the Oak Birch Inn in Alton Bay?

The Union Leader August 30, 1991
Court OK's Rebuilding Inn: Abutter Fought Permit for Burned Alton Bay Landmark

ALTON - Richard Stocker, owner of a historic inn which was destroyed by fire on April 4, 1989, says he plans to rebuild the inn now that a court decision has cleared the way for him to receive a building permit.
Stocker said he plans to push ahead with plans to rebuild the Oak Birch Inn, a 19th century Alton Bay landmark, although he doesn't expect construction to begin until next spring. He said the decision, handed down last week in Belknap County Superior Court.

I guess the plans have been delayed?

upthesaukee 01-22-2005 11:30 AM

OK gtxrider, that one rates a really big "DUH" !!!! :laugh:

Cal 01-22-2005 01:40 PM

At this point , he probably took the money and ran ;)

abay 01-24-2005 11:43 AM

I think we can all assume we will not see a replacement. I miss the place though. It was nice to be able to walk there to see a movie, particularly on rainy days.

Don Levy 08-18-2012 04:53 PM

Cal, when my parents owned it, no insurance co. would give an insurance policy b/c of it being wood, the electrical being 2 wire system originally installed and old shellac finish throughout that would act as an accelerant. So, doubt they had insurance. Right after the fire they paid off the mortgage; too soon for the fiure investigation and an isurance investigator could have completed their investigations.

tis 08-18-2012 05:03 PM

Funny, we went by there the other day and said we missed it. It looks so different now, it is all grown up. You wouldn't believe there was actually a beautiful old building there.

DennisC 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

Please read my...

Don, I'm in the San Francisco bay area. Please read my two post entered today and one about 10 days ago, Nov., 2012.....

Are you any relation to Barbara Junta who managed the inn?

Hope to hear ....

Dennis

RLW 11-20-2012 04:55 PM

I just came by there and there has been quite a bit of brush cut and some medium size saplings removed which all are very clearly freshly removed. Just a little update and the writer has know idea what is going on.:)