Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rocna anchors (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19518)

Little Bear 07-15-2015 10:24 AM

Rocna anchors

Has anyone used a Rocna anchor? They got excellent reviews, so I'm thinking of switching to one of these for my Florida boat. There's also a lot of good information about anchors/anchoring on their website:

http://www.rocna.com/

Rich 07-15-2015 12:33 PM

They always get good reviews.

I'm sure they will work ok in FL.

But I'd like to hear from people that have them on the lake, how do they work out for you, and what size boat do you have?

I have a delta-plow type anchor and it often won't grab. I haven't yet figured out if it's not grabbing in mud or silt bottoms.

I have a 38 ft boat.

If the anchors weren't so expensive, I'd try a different type, but it would get expensive to try a few to find one that works well.

NH_boater 07-15-2015 11:07 PM

Can't offer anything on the Rocha, except I have always been curious.

I have had great success with the fortress on Winni. Holds great in all Winni conditions. Light too, except for that chain.....

Rich 07-16-2015 08:43 AM

A friend also has a Fortress on a 40 ft boat and he likes it.

What size boat do you have?

meredith weekender 07-16-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 248489)
Has anyone used a Rocna anchor? They got excellent reviews, so I'm thinking of switching to one of these for my Florida boat. There's also a lot of good information about anchors/anchoring on their website:

http://www.rocna.com/

Our new Crownline has a windlass and it came with a ROCNA anchor. We have only used it 5 or 6 times this year but I must say that it has grabbed on the first attempt each time we have used it. Additionally, my fear was that without a pivot point we might end up with a stuck anchor and that has not been the case either. Hopefully this helps.

salty dog 07-16-2015 09:20 AM

Mantus

I had been doing some anchor research and came across the Mantus. I didn't see that it been discussed on the forum before. Owner/users really seem to like it and watching the test videos, it seems to hold better than any other model.
The testing was done in sand and mud; I don't know how effective it might be on a rocky bottom. The tests were performed without an anchor chain but it didn't seem to matter with the Mantus. Here is a link showing a quick test video. The first one is against the Ronca...

http://www.go2marine.com/product/327...available.html

Dave R 07-16-2015 11:53 AM

That Mantus looks great. I would consider one if I were in the market. I like the idea that it flips over when it lands upside down. My Dela won't always do that.

NH_boater 07-16-2015 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 248525)
A friend also has a Fortress on a 40 ft boat and he likes it.

What size boat do you have?

23' bowrider

Rich 07-21-2015 02:04 PM

Thanks for the tip on the Mantus anchor, it looks interesting!

But then again, every time someone points me to reviews of (insert anchor name here) I always end up wanting one! :laugh:

These things aren't cheap for the size of boat that I have, but I'm not impressed with what I have now. Although it did hold this past Sunday when we were stuck on the hook when that big storm blew through. We were at Silver Sands and rode out the storm. I thought all was going well until the heavy winds hit! Luckily my anchor held firm!

salty dog 07-21-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 248810)
Thanks for the tip on the Mantus anchor, it looks interesting!

But then again, every time someone points me to reviews of (insert anchor name here) I always end up wanting one! :laugh:

These things aren't cheap for the size of boat that I have, but I'm not impressed with what I have now. Although it did hold this past Sunday when we were stuck on the hook when that big storm blew through. We were at Silver Sands and rode out the storm. I thought all was going well until the heavy winds hit! Luckily my anchor held firm!

Well, I guess the best anchor is the one you have/had with you. And lucky it held!

Rich 07-22-2015 09:01 AM

Yes... I didn't expect the heavy wind and my radar was showing the storm going North and East of us. I heard from a friend that near Timber Island they had hail.

At Silver Sands there was a small boat that dragged its anchor and ended up in the swim line. It looked like their I/O got caught in the line. I was waiting for the heavy waves to cut down before I was willing to jump in to try to help them, but then they got it loose. It took them a while to get clear of the swim line.

I was considering to remove my stern anchor in case I needed to get out of there, but the line was as tight as a rod of steel. I was almost ready to cut it free and get ready to run, but then things started calming down, and it appeared that my main bow anchor was holding well.

Dave R 07-27-2015 02:40 PM

Here's an anchor for ya: http://www.setsail.com/fpb-78-1-critical-phase-visit/

Rich 07-27-2015 03:58 PM

Dave,

I think I need one just the next size UP from this one.

I'm basing this on the size of my engine room, vs the one being shown on that page.

WOW! :D

Rich 07-28-2015 08:56 PM

Ok, I read all the reviews (all that I could find, including some 30 pages of posts on another very active boating forum), and watched all the videos about the Mantus.

I ended up ordering one today. I'll let you know how it works out for use on our lake.

Rich 08-10-2015 01:14 PM

The Mantus anchor was received, assembled and installed on my boat.

So far with its first use, I'm very happy with it. I need more time to know if it's that much better that what I had, as one use does not make the whole story. But it did grab fast and hard on its first use.

I did order the size anchor that could be considered a bit large for my boat on the lake, as I went to the larger of the two sizes recommended for my boat size.

This anchor could be considered a 'storm anchor' on the ocean. Because of this, I'm starting to refer to my new anchor as my 'battering ram'. :laugh: If you see it, you will know what I mean.

For our lake use, I'd say you could probably go safely to the smaller size that is recommended for your boat as we don't overnight while on the hook and hope the anchor will hold during a heavy storm while you are trying to sleep.

Salty Dog, thanks for turning me on to the Mantus anchor.

salty dog 08-10-2015 03:02 PM

Good to hear. Hope it works out well. I think I'll be doing the same. I'm guessing with my 21 footer, the 8 lb one should do; I think the 13 lb would be overkill. Which one did you get? Have you tried anything other than sand yet?
Sailor Sam's seems to have the best pricing.

Rich 08-10-2015 03:43 PM

The first time I used it, my anchor was off the sand into the mud/weeds at Small's Cove. So not in pure sand, but there may have been sand under the mud? The anchor easily buried itself up to the top of its hoop. Considering the size of this anchor, that means it was in there deep!

Yes, I got mine at Sailor Sam's.... with free shipping, so it was a good price compared to others. I went with the 45 lb version (38 ft boat).

To their charts, either the 13 lb (working anchor rating) or 8 lb (lunch anchor rating), depending on how much holding power you want.

thinkxingu 07-25-2016 08:14 PM

Rich, are you still happy with your Mantus?

Bud63 07-26-2016 04:06 AM

I bought a 25 lb Mantus for my 28' Cobalt after two years of struggling with the OEM anchor and I couldn't be happier. In fact I really should have bought the 13 Lb as the 25 LB will hook solid in any bottom conditions I've experienced with very little rode.

Anybody want to buy a stainless 25Lb Mantus, I'm going to the 13Lb?

Rich 07-26-2016 07:55 AM

Yes, I really like it!

Other than the fact that I purchased one size too large for my boat, it works great!

My dock neighbor purchased two of them, one as a main anchor and a tiny one for use as a stern anchor when at a sand bar. He seems to also like them.

If anyone needs the 45 lb galvanized Mantus for a larger boat (40 to 50 ft), let me know and I'll work a deal to save you some money. Buy the 35 lb anchor (which will cost you less money than the 45 lb anchor) and I'll swap my 45 lb anchor for the smaller one. ;)

There's not really any downside to me having the larger anchor than I need, other than it looks very large and just fits with no room to spare between my bow roller and my windlass.

But the Mantus has been great so far on the lake. No complaints from me and it always seems to grab quickly and easily.

Rich 07-26-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud63 (Post 266148)
I bought a 25 lb Mantus for my 28' Cobalt after two years of struggling with the OEM anchor and I couldn't be happier. In fact I really should have bought the 13 Lb as the 25 LB will hook solid in any bottom conditions I've experienced with very little rode.

Anybody want to buy a stainless 25Lb Mantus, I'm going to the 13Lb?

Seems like we're both overly happy with the one size too large Mantus! :D

I didn't go with the stainless version, mine is galvanized.

thinkxingu 07-26-2016 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 266159)
Seems like we're both overly happy with the one size too large Mantus! :D

I didn't go with the stainless version, mine is galvanized.

I'm probably gonna order the 13# today. The 7 is on the border, but given my large bimini (kite), I thought I'd go towards the larger.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Rich 07-26-2016 12:34 PM

Larger always has more holding power, but be sure to check any critical dimensions if you have a bow roller, windlass, etc.

Mine was within less than 1 inch of being too large.

I don't remember if I made the mistake of ordering the largest they suggested in my boat's size range or if I simply clicked on the wrong size when ordering.

The anchor I have (45 lb) would probably hold well in a storm on the ocean. Since we can't overnight on the lake, I don't need to worry about an anchor holding if a storm creeps up on me while I'm sound asleep.

thinkxingu 07-26-2016 12:39 PM

Ordered the 13 today--hard to find in stock! It's on the border for sizing, but the 8 and 13 aren't much different overall.

Rich 07-26-2016 12:50 PM

Let us know how you like it after you try it.

thinkxingu 07-26-2016 01:21 PM

Sure will!

thinkxingu 07-14-2019 05:49 PM

Just found this when looking to update my extensive anchor research a couple years ago. Today at WAM sandbar, we held firm with 8# bow and stern Mantus anchors--3 hours in ~13mph winds and no movement. In that time, I had to help set and reset the four boats around me. Mantus for the win!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Rich 07-15-2019 05:24 AM

It's good to hear you like the Mantus anchor.

I'm still impressed with mine.

Dave R 07-15-2019 06:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
On of my marina neighbors has a Mantus and loves it. I can't use an anchor with a roll bar on my pulpit and I have heard great things about the Rocna Vulcan, so I plan to get one of those.

Just an FYI, I see a lot of anchors fitted with fancy machined stainless steel swivels between the anchor and the chain. You should never connect that type of swivel directly to an anchor, it needs a traditional rounded shackle installed between the anchor and swivel so that the swivel can slide on the shackle with side-loads. Those swivels have plenty of strength under tension, but can fail easily with side loads. That said Mantus makes a swivel with the shackle built in so if shopping for new, that might be the one to buy.

Rich 07-15-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 315327)
On of my marina neighbors has a Mantus and loves it. I can't use an anchor with a roll bar on my pulpit and I have heard great things about the Rocna Vulcan, so I plan to get one of those.

Just an FYI, I see a lot of anchors fitted with fancy machined stainless steel swivels between the anchor and the chain. You should never connect that type of swivel directly to an anchor, it needs a traditional rounded shackle installed between the anchor and swivel so that the swivel can slide on the shackle with side-loads. Those swivels have plenty of strength under tension, but can fail easily with side loads. That said Mantus makes a swivel with the shackle built in so if shopping for new, that might be the one to buy.

Yes, Mantus makes a nice swivel also:

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-swivel/

I have also using one of these swivels, it seems well made.