Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Aluminum Prop Repair? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24744)

thinkxingu 07-20-2019 04:40 PM

Aluminum Prop Repair?

Hi! A friend of ours hit a rock today, and their prop edges are rolled. Are aluminum props repairable, or are they just replacement (cost vs. strength, etc.)? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Bear Islander 07-20-2019 06:00 PM

If the damage is not to bad a marina can send out a prop for repair. The cost is roughly 1/2 the cost of a new prop.

Cal Coon 07-20-2019 06:49 PM

Aluminum props are repairable if it's (very) minor damage, but, it may be cheaper to just buy a new one. A knowledgeable marina should be able to advise which way to go once they see the damaged prop. New aluminum props are pretty cheap to buy these days.

8gv 07-20-2019 07:03 PM

As a third option, an inexpensive new one may be available on Craig’s List. Sometimes a boat is sold without the spare prop. Sometimes a different pitch is tried briefly but not preferred.

thinkxingu 07-20-2019 07:47 PM

Thanks for the tips, all!

Dave R 07-21-2019 06:11 AM

Would be a great time to upgrade to stainless steel. They are far more resilient to rock strikes and have better performance (assuming they are appropriately selected for the boat, engine, and use).

thinkxingu 07-21-2019 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 315746)
Would be a great time to upgrade to stainless steel. They are far more resilient to rock strikes and have better performance (assuming they are appropriately selected for the boat, engine, and use).

I think this person's history (of striking things) precludes stainless (which would increase the chance of driveline damage (right?))

Dave R 07-21-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 315754)
I think this person's history (of striking things) precludes stainless (which would increase the chance of driveline damage (right?))

Not if they hit lightly enough to just "roll" a blade or three, as described. That sounds like a low speed touch and that would not do anything to the driveline, in my experience.

thinkxingu 07-22-2019 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 315782)
Not if they hit lightly enough to just "roll" a blade or three, as described. That sounds like a low speed touch and that would not do anything to the driveline, in my experience.

They're almost always low speed, but seemingly common enough to maybe not risk the expense or damage, especially as they don't do a ton of quick acceleration/high speed maneuvers.

They also tend to be...frugal.