Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Renting boat on Waukewan (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24090)

KatiePurple 01-07-2019 07:30 PM

Renting boat on Waukewan

We own a home on Waukewan and for now we are still renting it out most of the summer. So even though I really want a boat during the weeks we are there, it doesn't make a lot of sense yet to buy one.

The only place I know of up there that will rent on Waukewan is Irwin Marine. Do any of you know of anywhere else that will rent to us? It's quite expensive to rent for two weeks, which is what we'd ideally want. Also, do you know of anyone anywhere between MA (where we live) and the lake that would rent us a boat with a trailer that we could bring and put into the lake ourselves?

Thank you!
Katie

Biggd 01-08-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatiePurple (Post 306098)
We own a home on Waukewan and for now we are still renting it out most of the summer. So even though I really want a boat during the weeks we are there, it doesn't make a lot of sense yet to buy one.

The only place I know of up there that will rent on Waukewan is Irwin Marine. Do any of you know of anywhere else that will rent to us? It's quite expensive to rent for two weeks, which is what we'd ideally want. Also, do you know of anyone anywhere between MA (where we live) and the lake that would rent us a boat with a trailer that we could bring and put into the lake ourselves?

Thank you!
Katie

Try Meredith Marina. Rental boats are left on shore and are put in the water with a fork lift. They aren't far from the Waukewan boat ramp. I don't see why they wouldn't put a rental in there for you.
Seeing how this is your first post you will learn to ignore the poster below who likes to inject his useless dribble, which usually has nothing to do with the original subject, and is almost never helpful.

fatlazyless 01-08-2019 09:25 AM

Get an old aluminum 12' rowboat with two 6 1/2' wood oars for like $350, clean and paint, and just leave it there for the renters and you to use ...... no motor ..... covered by standard home owners insurance ....if wanted, a separate policy specific to a 12', no motor, oar powered row boat costs maybe $50/yr .....no annual NH registration required.....and just flip it upside down for winter storage. Best $350 you ever spent.

Waukewan is home to the Winnipesaukee Rowers, www.rowwinni.org, mostly woman rowers, so there's lots of early morning rowing happening there.

Rowing does good things for you ...... motor boating will make you fat ..... rowing will make you thin and strong!

BoatHouse 01-08-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 306111)
Seeing how this is your first post you will learn to ignore the poster below who likes to inject his useless dribble, which usually has nothing to do with the original subject, and is almost never helpful.

Very Funny!!!

SummerIslander 01-08-2019 11:06 PM

Try good used boat - cheaper

Welcome to the forums. My family has owned a range of powerboats over the decades, including trailer boats, and having seen the weekly rental prices, the economics of renting for just 2 weeks a year ($3-$5K) are not good.

Consider used instead, so many good boats at good prices if you look around. here's what I would consider a great affordable used boat right there at Irwin. Good deal at only $5300 if mechanically sound, with acceptable trailer no less. https://irwinmarine.com/inventory/us...-175-bowrider/ Add a 4-blade aluminum prop and get plenty of zip. There are several other pretty nice boats listed there in the $10K range also.

After 2 seasons it would be cheaper than renting. If you decide then that you want something different, you can still sell it for 80% of this price if running well, it's already mostly depreciated so best possible value. You can get it prepped and shrink-wrapped for winter and maybe park at your cabin, lowest cost and hassle.

(disclaimer: I have no relationship or interest in Irwin. Our only transaction with Irwin was our first boat 48 years ago, but that adventure was long ago and far away ...)

Hope that helps, good luck and happy boating!

BroadHopper 01-09-2019 09:54 AM

Winnisquam Marine

Before they bought Channel marine, you could rent a pontoon boat from them and they would haul it to Opechee or Winnipesaukee for use. I'm sure if you ask they will add Waukewan.

Top-Water 01-09-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 306183)
Before they bought Channel marine, you could rent a pontoon boat from them and they would haul it to Opechee or Winnipesaukee for use. I'm sure if you ask they will add Waukewan.

I thought the same thing. Of all the places that rent, my first thoughts were Winnisquam as well.