Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Columbus Day Rt 93 accident (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8731)

TomC 10-13-2009 03:10 PM

Columbus Day Rt 93 accident

Anyone get caught in the backup? i got on 93 at exit 23 @ about 4:30p yesterday and flipped on WBZ to hear of this.. At that time the backup was from Concord to Hooksett. I got off in Tilton and worked my way south through Belmont, Glimanton, Pittsfield, etc.

When I got home the news said the tie-up went all the way back to Tilton, 23 miles!

Did anyone get caught unaware and have to sit in traffic awhile?

White Rook 10-13-2009 03:52 PM

Accident Scene Was A Mess

We left Lakeport Landing at 4:20 PM and after being warned via cell phone by our son who left one hour earlier, he suggested going Route 106 to avoid some of the Route 93 traffic he was stuck in. We did go Route 106 but when we turned onto Route 93 near Exit 15, the traffic was nearly stopped.

From the marina to our home in Salem, NH, it took us just over three hours. We did see the big truck still on its side. A frightening sight to think what must have occurred. Having seen the video and report on WMUR last evening, one can just imagine the event. Sad indeed. :(

Stevie

momof3 10-13-2009 07:35 PM

3 hours and 52 minutes

We left Meredith at 2:45 yesterday and stopped for gas in Tilton, then proceeded, listening to the children talk about our season being over, what they want to do next year, etc....then we realized that traffic seemed more that just the usual "long weekend" trafic, didn't get home until after 6:30, had to go onto Rt. 293, Rt. 93 was closed after the tolls. Thank goodness for DVD players in the cars!
Have to say the kids were really good until the last 15 mintues, then they just wanted to be home, just like us!

welchislandman 10-14-2009 06:02 AM

We left glendale at 5:30, went rte 106 and hit stopped traffic at rte 93/3. Lasted until hookset tolls and never got over 30. Was wondering what that was. Googlemaps was helpful as it showed me that I had many miles to go before it was "normal" speeds again :(

chipj29 10-14-2009 06:51 AM

Traffic in the area was horrendous. Most back roads were congested as well. Many people take Rt 3A from Concord down to exit 10 in Hooksett, and that was jammed. It didn't look like there were any feasible alternate routes around the accident. I was happy to be heading home (Northbound) against the flow of traffic, although it did take me a bit longer than normal.

From what I have read, it appears that the guy who was driving the SUV had some sort of medical episode-possibly a diabetic reaction. There were no skidmarks from where he left the north lanes of 93, and nothing going across the median. No skidmarks on the southbound lanes either, so it does not appear that he tried to stop. A horrible scene indeed.