Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boating Safety Certificate (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25156)

dpg 11-07-2019 01:55 PM

Boating Safety Certificate

Someone at work told me today someone without a certificate can operate a Waverunner on the lake if their with a passenger who has their certificate. I thought every operator had to be licensed?

dpg 11-07-2019 02:08 PM

I just looked it up an operator UNDER 16 can operate one in this situation.

Biggd 11-07-2019 02:27 PM

I always thought anyone over 16 could drive a boat or ski as long as one person on board had a boating certificate. :confused: I'm not sure about under 16.

thinkxingu 11-07-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 322422)
I just looked it up an operator UNDER 16 can operate one in this situation.

I don't think this is accurate. Here, from the NH Boater Manual:

"No one under the age of 16 years may operate a “ski craft” legally on any lake, pond, or river."

This *should* mean that everybody needs a license.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

dpg 11-07-2019 03:06 PM

Taken offline:

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by: A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boating Certificate.

iw8surf 11-07-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 322426)
Taken offline:

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by: A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boating Certificate.

I never got this, so to clarify a child can operate a boat other than a ski craft under supervision of an adult with a boaters certificate but another adult can't operator a boat under supervision of an adult with a boaters certificate....

thinkxingu 11-07-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 322427)
I never got this, so to clarify a child can operate a boat other than a ski craft under supervision of an adult with a boaters certificate but another adult can't operator a boat under supervision of an adult with a boaters certificate....

Exactly. So, my 9-year-old can drive our pontoon under my license, but not our (soon-to-be) jetski. My wife, on the other hand, needed her license for both.

GusMan 11-07-2019 04:42 PM

If your (soon to be) jetski is a three seater, then it's considered a boat and can be driven by sub 16 year olds as well... as long as you're hanging off the back of it!

My son, now 16 with a boating certificate, has been driving our jetskis since he was 13. Just expect to get wet!

Cheers....

Gusman

thinkxingu 11-07-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GusMan (Post 322429)
If your (soon to be) jetski is a three seater, then it's considered a boat and can be driven by sub 16 year olds as well... as long as you're hanging off the back of it!

My son, now 16 with a boating certificate, has been driving our jetskis since he was 13. Just expect to get wet!

Cheers....

Gusman

Ah, yes, I missed this part: "...the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person."

My son will be happy!

Dave M 11-07-2019 09:28 PM

3 seater - Squam Lake

Since we're talking a 3 seater is a boat, it can go on Squam Lake.

Dave M

Poor Richard 11-07-2019 10:09 PM

Hope this helps...

Minimum age for operation - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-30.htm

Operation of ski craft - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-74.htm

Definition of PWC/ ski craft - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...0/270-74-c.htm

thinkxingu 11-08-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poor Richard (Post 322438)

The PWC section doesn't mention anything about number of seats, so it's complicated in terms of PWC, "ski craft," and boat.

In fact, based on that link, nobody under 16 can drive a PWC?

Phantom 11-08-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 322423)
I always thought anyone over 16 could drive a boat or ski as long as one person on board had a boating certificate. :confused: I'm not sure about under 16.

I addressed this first hand with Marine Patrol late this Season (October).

The answer I got was that anyone under 16 CAN drive a boat (or other vesel) provided a licensed responsible driver is overseeing and is responsible for the craft. ANYONE OVER 16 MUST have a license of their own.

This was a very critical answer for me to find as my granddaughter routinely drives (learning) our boat. She just turned 16 this year.

joey2665 11-08-2019 07:23 AM

Nothing like going directly to the source. Thanks Phantom

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 11-08-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 322440)
I addressed this first hand with Marine Patrol late this Season (October).

The answer I got was that anyone under 16 CAN drive a boat (or other vesel) provided a licensed responsible driver is overseeing and is responsible for the craft. ANYONE OVER 16 MUST have a license of their own.

This was a very critical answer for me to find as my granddaughter routinely drives (learning) our boat. She just turned 16 this year.

I wonder why this exists/what it means?

"270:74 Operation of Ski Craft. –
I. No person shall operate a ski craft on any lake, pond, or river unless the person is 16 years of age or older."

ApS 11-08-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 322443)
I wonder why this exists/what it means?

"270:74 Operation of Ski Craft. –
I. No person shall operate a ski craft on any lake, pond, or river unless the person is 16 years of age or older."

That refers to a two-seater.

A few years ago, a 15-year-old Massachusetts kid (operating a "ski-craft" solo) had died mysteriously directly across the harbor from my location. :eek:

If I'd glanced over my computer screen, I could have rescued the kid from whatever happened. :(

Woodsy 11-08-2019 10:35 AM

There are 2 definitions in play here...

1. 270:73 V. "Ski craft" means any motorized watercraft or private boat which is less than 13 feet in length as manufactured, is capable of exceeding a speed of 20 miles per hour, and has the capacity to carry not more than the operator and one other person while in operation. The term includes a jet ski, surf ski, fun ski, or other similar device. "Ski craft" does not include any watercraft or boat with twin hulls and which is greater than 11 feet long, greater than 5 feet wide, and powered by an outboard motor.

2. 270:74-C I. In this section, "personal water craft" means a motor boat 16 feet or less in length that is propelled by jet pump, not propellers, where the operator and riders stand, kneel, straddle, or sit on, rather than inside, the craft.

No matter what you drive... If you are over 16 you need a SBC. Under 16 can drive under the supervision of a person with an SBC.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-73.htm

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...0/270-74-c.htm

Woodsy

camp guy 11-08-2019 01:31 PM

Boating certificate

This would be a good post for the Marine Patrol to reply to with a very definitive answer.

Biggd 11-08-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 322450)
This would be a good post for the Marine Patrol to reply to with a very definitive answer.

I agree! Hopefully they see it.

fatlazyless 11-08-2019 05:46 PM

The U.S. Coast Guard defines a personal water craft as a jet drive boat that is less than 13' in length, to differentiate the pwc from larger size vessels with jet drives.

So, how does that compare to the New Hampshire definition for a personal water craft?

http:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_watercraft

Saw one rider go by flasher buoy-3 today, on either a jet ski or personal water craft, at about 2-pm, heading north, moving along more slowly than usual, going maybe 20-25-mph, and wearing either a full wet suit, or a black dry suit & pfd.

Phantom 11-11-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camp guy (Post 322450)

I gave you the DEFINATIVE answer ….. read my post, how much clearer can it be. (post #13)

Poor Richard 11-11-2019 12:32 PM

And here I was thinking that going to the RSA's listed on the NH.gov website was the definitive answer!

:laugh:

BroadHopper 11-11-2019 04:35 PM

Never had a problem.

Guess I'm doing something illegal. I have one of those old 12' racing skiff that seats one. It has a 25 HP Merc outboard that is souped up. Not sure how fast it goes but being small it sure feels fast! I had it when I was a boy. I used to buzz around in it when I was 9 yr old. Same with my siblings and now my grandkids!
Since it seats one, I guess no one can use it until their 16. By that time it is a tight squeeze to get in! Can I consider it a toy?

ishoot308 11-11-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 322610)
Guess I'm doing something illegal. I have one of those old 12' racing skiff that seats one. It has a 25 HP Merc outboard that is souped up. Not sure how fast it goes but being small it sure feels fast! I had it when I was a boy. I used to buzz around in it when I was 9 yr old. Same with my siblings and now my grandkids!
Since it seats one, I guess no one can use it until their 16. By that time it is a tight squeeze to get in! Can I consider it a toy?

If it’s 25 HP or less anyone can use it. No boating license required...let your grandkids enjoy it legally...

Dan