Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pops addict (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26055)

dippasan 07-14-2020 07:08 AM

Pops addict

Went to Pops by boat last Saturday afternoon. Wife got a loaded lobster roll and I proudly put down a Seafood platter.

Is there a Pop's support group? I may need it.

I can see myself sitting in a circle and saying: Hi My name is Steve and I'm a Popsaholic.

thinkxingu 07-14-2020 07:46 AM

Right?! My wife could see me vibrating with excitement last time I was there and discovered I could get onion rings in exchange for coleslaw. I'm hindsight, though, I think I'll ask for more fries or an extra scallop—not my favorite type of rings.

I gotta ask, though: thoughts on the coleslaw? I don't eat it, but everyone I've brought there—literally everyone—has said it's horrible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

dippasan 07-14-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 338858)
Right?! My wife could see me vibrating with excitement last time I was there and discovered I could get onion rings in exchange for coleslaw. I'm hindsight, though, I think I'll ask for more fries or an extra scallop—not my favorite type of rings.

I gotta ask, though: thoughts on the coleslaw? I don't eat it, but everyone I've brought there—literally everyone—has said it's horrible.

I wouldn't say its horrible. I eat it and think it's ok but I think it would be better if it was in a separate container instead of piled on the plate. Needs a little more liquid on the bottom. Honestly after rifling through the seafood I don't think I even taste the slaw.

8gv 07-14-2020 09:55 AM

Coleslaw is a distraction from the mission.

Ignore it!

Susie Cougar 07-14-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippasan (Post 338863)
I wouldn't say its horrible. I eat it and think it's ok but I think it would be better if it was in a separate container instead of piled on the plate. Needs a little more liquid on the bottom. Honestly after rifling through the seafood I don't think I even taste the slaw.

It was only a few times in the summer time that I would ever splurge at the Red Hill Dari.I love their fried clams! And I also think that their onion rings are the best that I have ever had.
I never had their coleslaw, but I understand what you mean. When you’re eating all fried food, it’s nice to know that you have a little bit of vegetables to even things out. The coleslaw can make or break it.

thinkxingu 07-14-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 338875)
It was only a few times in the summer time that I would ever splurge at the Red Hill Dari.I love their fried clams! And I also think that their onion rings are the best that I have ever had.
I never had their coleslaw, but I understand what you mean. When you’re eating all fried food, it’s nice to know that you have a little bit of vegetables to even things out. The coleslaw can make or break it.

This is about Pop's.

But, since you brought it up, I visited Red Hill a few weeks ago for a seafood plate and it was a major letdown. Bay scallops and baby shrimp, small, and only a couple bucks less than Pop's. I want to believe it was an anomaly, but it was disappointing enough that I don't know if I'll give it a second shot.

I'd punch a baby kitten to have Pop's on this side of the lake (even with #coleslawgate).

MAXUM 07-14-2020 10:38 AM

If you don't like the slaw get the "boat" instead of the plate.

I keep saying next time I will try something OTHER than the clams. Then I order clams. ;)

MAXUM 07-14-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 338876)
This is about Pop's.

But, since you brought it up, I visited Red Hill a few weeks ago for a seafood plate and it was a major letdown. Bay scallops and baby shrimp, small, and only a couple bucks less than Pop's. I want to believe it was an anomaly, but it was disappointing enough that I don't know if I'll give it a second shot.

I'd punch a baby kitten to have Pop's on this side of the lake (even with #coleslawgate).

Just imagine Pop's(2) at the corner of 25 and Rt 3 in Meredith.

Susie Cougar 07-14-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

This is about Pop's.

Sorry. I guess I’m just dense and I don’t realize that I’m going off topic.

thinkxingu 07-14-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 338881)
Sorry. I guess I’m just dense and I don’t realize that I’m going off topic.

No worries, friend. Hope I didn't come across rudely—just pointing it out.

Hope you're well, BTW!

JEEPONLY 07-14-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

This is about Pop's.

Agree.
Went to Red hill about 4 weeks ago for full-belly fried clams. Seemed more a mix of (small) bellies and (mostly) strips- disappointing for the price.
Gave a second shot 2 weeks later- same.

Onion rings were good, but pretty greasy.

Susie Cougar 07-14-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 338916)
Agree.
Went to Red hill about 4 weeks ago for full-belly fried clams. Seemed more a mix of (small) bellies and (mostly) strips- disappointing for the price.

Well, that’s a shame. It was never like that in years past, I hope they can fix things.

pops 07-14-2020 03:30 PM

Starting to feel like I’m the Walter White of fried clams.
Hopefully my story ends better than his though.

Jdarby 07-14-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 338871)
Coleslaw is a distraction from the mission.

Ignore it!

Wiser words were never spoken! But don’t ignore it.....substitute!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 07-14-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 338922)

How about a coupon for your biggest supporters?!

dippasan 07-14-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 338922)

There seems to be a cult following

dickiej 07-14-2020 04:42 PM

"Punch a kitten"?.... That's hate speech....you're banned for life!

rick35 07-16-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEEPONLY (Post 338916)
Agree.

We went to Red Hill today for lunch. Everything was excellent. And the slaw was excellent too!

JEEPONLY 07-17-2020 09:01 AM

At Pop's yesterday- 4:30.

Clams and scallops much bigger/flavorful than at Red Hill- similar price.
Btw- Pop's tartar sauce is much tastier.

I've always liked/gone to Red Hill Dari, but this season just isn't the same for them.

mcdude 07-17-2020 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Blue Bay is just down the street from me (3 miles or so) over the state line. As you can see in the photos, it isn't a fancy place (kinda "homey") but the food is good and the price is right. Here's their website

https://www.bluebayseafoodandsteak.com/

They have many activities such as pool and corn hole tournaments, karaoke etc. and is popular with the snowmobilers in the winter from Belleau Lake, Pine River Pond, Province Lake, Balch Lake and Great East Lake which are all close by.

....and, yes! They have outside dining.

thinkxingu 07-19-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 339282)
Just an FYI ....... I'm not supporting the place ... just sharing an old photo from when everyone thought this place was good.

https://i.imgur.com/pczHSW7.jpg

I have seen grumblings about Sawyer's over the years. What's the issue? Quality, cost, too touristy/loss of historical vibe?

thinkxingu 07-19-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 339293)
Open up a Sawyers thread, the photo was just a to mark and note it as a famous lakes region landmark. Please open up a new thread if you want to grumble. God knows that every food thread here has grumblings. Even this one.

Define: hypocrisy.

thinkxingu 07-19-2020 03:06 PM

I LOVE Pop's and have had great experiences there. How would people compare it to other places in the area like, I dunno, Sawyer's?

Slickcraft 07-19-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 339316)
I LOVE Pop's and have had great experiences there. How would people compare it to other places in the area like, I dunno, Sawyer's?

Best clams in the area vs so so burgers and pretty good ice cream.

ACME on the Broads 07-20-2020 04:27 PM

Late to the Party!

Ate at Pop's last Thursday with kids and grandkids.............2 Clam plates, 2 Chicken Finger plates, 2 chicken finger boats with a side of onion rings, all were out of this world; like others on this thread, we have always been big fans of Pop's coleslaw so we ordered an extra side...........my wife and our 2 oldest kids (20s) said the coleslaw was awful...........I must say, I tried it and have to agree, whatever they've done to the vintage coleslaw is not up to Pop's standard and would only order boats going forward skipping the slaw.

Still the BEST!

JEEPONLY 07-20-2020 05:37 PM

Sawyers

I find the food to be very good.

My concerns are that the servings are quite small for the prices they charge.

This is why I think of Sawyers as a tourist trap- main drag/long (waning) reputation.

thinkxingu 07-22-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 339561)
Opening up in the late 50's early 60's this little red and white building on the lower right made a go of it under the name of "The Cole Slaw Shack" stories have it that they had a tough time starting out. It wasn't till a few years later when they added clams to the menu that they would find a formula for success and a new name "Pop’s Clam Shell"

https://i.imgur.com/s7M8NUU.jpg

Any good car fans out there that can maybe date this photo by the cars. Hard to believe that is pops. Look how different the road is.

Are you serious about being called "The Cole Slaw Shack"?! I want to believe it's in jest because that seems like such an odd product to base a lakeside business on!

Great photo, though other than the cars I don't think it's all that different? Alton Bay seems to be the most old-fashioned/traditional of the ports as it's not built up.

Slickcraft 07-22-2020 11:48 AM

photo looks like 1956

thinkxingu 07-22-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 339564)
photo looks like 1956

What did you use to determine that?

pondguy 07-22-2020 12:25 PM

When I would go there with my grandmother in the early 60s it was called Pops and her other favorite was the Edgewood on Rt 28. :liplick:

Little Bear 07-22-2020 12:58 PM

I swear Pop's was once called Andrew's Clam Shell prior to changing to Pop's. This would have been in the 60's.

tis 07-22-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bear (Post 339573)
I swear Pop's was once called Andrew's Clam Shell prior to changing to Pop's. This would have been in the 60's.

I think you are right. I had forgotten that.

Barney Bear 07-22-2020 03:37 PM

1956?

My first car was a red and white 1956 Olds 88 convertible, similar to the car in the middle of the photo. Loved that car - went on my honeymoon in it to Lake Winnipesaukee from Indiana. ��

JEEPONLY 07-22-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 339572)

But in the middle of the photo is that a Pink Cadillac near the waters edge.

Elvis has left the building!

Slickcraft 07-22-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 339569)
What did you use to determine that?

1956 Chev or Pontiac, can't see if there are hood stripes, two tone coloration maybe Pontiac, did not look like a newer car in the photo.