Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Trolling motor Repairs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27792)

townsde 03-05-2022 08:27 AM

Trolling motor Repairs

I have a Bass Tracker Motor Guide trolling motor which is binding in the motor bearings. Looking for someone who does maintenance on these.

Dave R 03-11-2022 09:11 AM

I can't help with a recommendation of anyone that services those, but odds are very good that it uses off the shelf bearings and they might prove to be very easy to replace.

If you can't find service, you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing if the bearings are serviceable. Assuming you find the bearing universal part number that you need (usually 4 digits followed by some characters, such as 6203 RS or 6203 ZZ or 6203 2RS etc.), you can likely find some online or at a store like Eastern Bearing for surprisingly low cost.

These days, it really pays to be handy...

townsde 03-11-2022 10:47 AM

Thanks for your suggestion. I am going that route and see what happens. Electrically, the motor still runs but seems to be losing power and the bearings seem stiff. I can check out the armature, brushes, and bearings (if I can get it apart) and see what I need.

Just need to get on it. Ice out is coming

Dave R 03-11-2022 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by townsde (Post 368247)
Thanks for your suggestion. I am going that route and see what happens. Electrically, the motor still runs but seems to be losing power and the bearings seem stiff. I can check out the armature, brushes, and bearings (if I can get it apart) and see what I need.

Just need to get on it. Ice out is coming

If I were a gambler, I would bet money that a seal failed and water got in a bearing. Hopefully it's repairable. Good luck!

SPT13 03-11-2022 12:24 PM

bearings

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave R (Post 368245)
I can't help with a recommendation of anyone that services those, but odds are very good that it uses off the shelf bearings and they might prove to be very easy to replace.

If you can't find service, you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing if the bearings are serviceable. Assuming you find the bearing universal part number that you need (usually 4 digits followed by some characters, such as 6203 RS or 6203 ZZ or 6203 2RS etc.), you can likely find some online or at a store like Eastern Bearing for surprisingly low cost.

These days, it really pays to be handy...

ZZ are a metal shielded bearing, The 2RS or DD are a sealed bearing which you would want to use

Dave R 03-12-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPT13 (Post 368251)
ZZ are a metal shielded bearing, The 2RS or DD are a sealed bearing which you would want to use

those were just examples of what the OP may find. I would recommend using whatever the manufacturer used.