Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lost & Found (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Found items... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17785)

ApS 06-28-2014 08:37 PM

Found items...

1 Attachment(s)
Today, one boat in particular produced a lot of heavy wave action this afternoon—our dock got soaked, and probably explains why so many items passed by this afternoon.

1) A trunk of a large birch tree, too big to pull out of the water
2) many cutoff pieces of 2x4 (ends)
3) a soccer ball
4) an unidentified plastic rudder, which needs to find "home".

The soccer ball got returned, but I don't know what boat/owner to look for with regard to the rudder. It is marked "Manufactured by ACM", white, plastic, and fairly new. Anybody have an idea what boat to look for?

camp guy 06-29-2014 04:53 PM

Found items - rudder

If it happened yesterday (Saturday, June 28), and you haven't heard by now, I can guess that 1), it doesn't belong to a Forum member; and 2), it may belong to someone who had cleaned up for the weekend and gone home, not to return and realize the rudder is missing until next week (or later).

You may have a long-term visitor on you dock!

chipj29 06-30-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 227712)
Today, one boat in particular produced a lot of heavy wave action this afternoon—our dock got soaked, and probably explains why so many items passed by this afternoon.

Sorry but I have to ask this...what makes you think one single boat would cause things to be floating on the lake?
Did you notice that there was flooding on the Pemi river (and several others) up north last week? The waters were very high on several bodies of water. If fact downstream from you, the Merrimack River was running very high for this time of year. There was a ton of debris floating on Saturday. I suspect what you saw floating by was the result of high water, and not the result of one single boat.

ApS 06-30-2014 08:46 PM

So, It Was a Slow Weekend...

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chipj29 (Post 227779)
Sorry but I have to ask this...what makes you think one single boat would cause things to be floating on the lake?
Did you notice that there was flooding on the Pemi river (and several others) up north last week? The waters were very high on several bodies of water. If fact downstream from you, the Merrimack River was running very high for this time of year. There was a ton of debris floating on Saturday. I suspect what you saw floating by was the result of high water, and not the result of one single boat.

Summer's water level is about where I'd expect it, but what had gotten my attention was the "concerned" way a Black-Capped Chickadee was eyeballing the wakes crashing ashore just one foot below her nest.

The 2x4 pieces were likely from a new dock construction less than ½-mile away.

The soccer ball was returned to its owners who have a beach.

There were just too many "beach" items floating by, so I looked for the culprit, and videotaped the source of the big wakes. (Again, ½-mile away). I'd estimate its size as at least 30-feet long and towing a tube.

Below is the wake as that boat departed. :eek:

After a ton of Googling, the rudder appears to be from a windsurfer, and from a photo taken a while back, I think I know just which beach to check out. :)

SIKSUKR 07-01-2014 09:56 AM

All I can say is wow.:eek:

HellRaZoR004 07-01-2014 10:08 AM

Wow is right...those waves are massive.

Water Camper 07-02-2014 06:56 AM

Waves

Looks like the wave action we see every weekend on Paugus Bay. Between the 40 footers leaving Spinnaker, Irwins, and Lakeport and the boats pulling tubers, sometimes it seems like we're at the ocean.

Not complaining, just sayin !

Bill

BroadHopper 07-02-2014 08:50 AM

Cruisers in Lakeport

I notice a significant increase in land yacht as well as a decrease in performance boats in the marinas. I also notice a significant increase in PWCs. There use to be over a dozen high performance boats in one covered dock a decade ago and no PWCs. Now there is only two performance boats and about 30 PWCs. Huge change!

Be prepared for more significant large wakes.