Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Leaf Peeping 2013 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16609)

SteveA 10-05-2013 06:32 AM

Leaf Peeping 2013

1 Attachment(s)
Took the trip Up North yestersay. The colors were great along the Kancomagus and up through North Conway and across to Mt. Washington.

The sun came out late in the day and I caught it just when we got to the Mt. Washington Hotel.

Attachment 8428

Chaselady 10-05-2013 06:34 AM

That is truly beautiful!

BroadHopper 10-05-2013 07:57 AM

Barrel Tasting this weekend.

I'm going to do the barrel tasting this weekend. The leaves should be good around the Lakes Region for this spectacular event!

http://hermitwoods.com/events/barrel-tasting/ :)

RLW 10-05-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 213192)
Took the trip Up North yestersay. The colors were great along the Kancomagus and up through North Conway and across to Mt. Washington.

The sun came out late in the day and I caught it just when we got to the Mt. Washington Hotel.

Attachment 8416

Great photo. It looks like one of Mcdudes post cards.:)

fpartri497 10-05-2013 05:16 PM

foliage

wednsday we crossed the kangamangus twice once in each direction hundreds of out of staters leaf peeping and nothing open cause of .the Idiots In washington D.C. I read the state of NH will lose 1--Billion dollars. not even the toilets where open.

:(

SteveA 10-05-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 213205)
wednsday we crossed the kangamangus twice once in each direction hundreds of out of staters leaf peeping and nothing open cause of .the Idiots In washington D.C. I read the state of NH will lose 1--Billion dollars. not even the toilets where open :(

We crossed it also, the only issue we saw was the bathrooms locked at the swift river stop. They did have a sign up explaining that it was due to the funding cuts by the Republicans. (but that was the only stop we tried to use the restrooms.) Lot's of people in all of the parking (pull off areas)

bclaker 10-06-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 213206)
We crossed it also, the only issue we saw was the bathrooms locked at the swift river stop. They did have a sign up explaining that it was due to the funding cuts by the Republicans. (but that was the only stop we tried to use the restrooms.) Lot's of people in all of the parking (pull off areas)

We'll probably be paying them overtime to clean up out back of the bathrooms, after we get our government back!!!

jacka82942 10-06-2013 05:54 AM

got same photo

from windows on conway scenic railway trip last sunday.great 5 hour ride

fpartri497 10-07-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

every single bathroom was boarded shut with a two by four across the door. I know I stopped at every one of them.

:D

BroadHopper 10-07-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 213256)
every single bathroom was boarded shut with a two by four across the door. I know I stopped at every one of them.

I guess they can't handle any more s**t! LOL!

fpartri497 10-07-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacka82942 (Post 213220)
from windows on conway scenic railway trip last sunday.great 5 hour ride

I love that train ride. I have done It many times

webmaster 10-08-2013 08:25 AM

Bi-plane Foliage Tour

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m2mtGlqyOcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bigstan 10-08-2013 08:43 AM

Just curious.....

Quote:

Did it really call out Republicans specifically?

SteveA 10-08-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 213306)
Did it really call out Republicans specifically?

No.. that was my editorial comment. ;)

DickR 10-08-2013 05:32 PM

With all the wilderness area woods surrounding stops on the Kanc, is the lack of open rest rooms really a problem? What do you think hikers of either gender do when off up some mountain, miles from any road, do when the need arises? This isn't a problem.

SteveA 10-08-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DickR (Post 213340)
With all the wilderness area woods surrounding stops on the Kanc, is the lack of open rest rooms really a problem? What do you think hikers of either gender do when off up some mountain, miles from any road, do when the need arises? This isn't a problem.

That is exactly how the problem was solved.. ;)

Sal 10-09-2013 08:50 AM

The message . . .

1 Attachment(s)
From the Kank, Tuesday, 10/8/13.

NHKathy 10-10-2013 12:12 PM

How's the foliage around the Lake??

gtxrider 10-10-2013 12:48 PM

Leaf peeping

We have the Weather Channel on at work and when I looked up it said Leaf Peeping at the Lakes Region. They even showed a picture of the Mount on the lake. Makes me want to be there.:(

Newbiesaukee 10-10-2013 02:03 PM

I've been driving guests around the Lake for the past few days. I think it is peak give or take a few days with the usual location/species variation. Totally unscientific but does not seem a great year. It is always beautiful and the weather has been fantastic. Tomorrow Kanc, 302, Franconia. I suspect some is post peak.

Orion 10-10-2013 02:26 PM

Weak foliage year

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 213400)
I've been driving guests around the Lake for the past few days. I think it is peak give or take a few days with the usual location/species variation. Totally unscientific but does not seem a great year. It is always beautiful and the weather has been fantastic. Tomorrow Kanc, 302, Franconia. I suspect some is post peak.

I concur that this seems to be the least impressive foliage around the lake in the last 12 years. I guess we're paying for the mild Fall. I did hear it was good north of the Lake and around the Notch.

Ridgefarmer63 10-10-2013 02:42 PM

Good!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHKathy (Post 213396)
How's the foliage around the Lake??

We're on New Durham Ridge and I think the leaves are starting to look real nice. The ride into A-bay looks good. Small disclaimer: My idea of good is with a certain amount of green still mixed in.

Merrymeeting 10-11-2013 12:50 PM

Spotted a WBZ / Channel 4 van on Rt 16 North this morning. I figure they were heading to the Mt. Washington Valley for the annual, Columbus Day weekend, Friday evening, foliage report to the flatlanders. :)

I agree with other posters. The colors seem very muted so far this year, with a lot of green still in evidence.

Bear Island South 10-12-2013 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
We drove to Mt Washington yesterday, colors were OK but I would say past peak. The best part was of the drive was the valley from Conway to the base of the Auto Road.
It was our first time up the mountain, that is a must do for anyone who doesn't mind driving steep narrow roads. We picked a great day, clear and calm on the summit.

glennsteely 10-12-2013 08:26 AM

Awesome!!

We will be there, end of next week....no doubt it will be past peak, but still beautiful none the less!!

Tired of Waiting 10-13-2013 10:36 AM

For the Leaf peepers

Taken last week looking down the no wake zone from Berry bay to Levit bay on the ossipee lakes.

I know, need a better focus.:(

ToW

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...eaf_Peeper.JPG

tc_mike 10-13-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting (Post 213479)
Taken last week looking down the no wake zone from Berry bay to Levit bay on the ossipee lakes.

ToW

This is awesome! What do you mean by you need a better focus?

SteveA 10-14-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting (Post 213479)

ToW

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...eaf_Peeper.JPG

No you don't! Great picture!

Lakesrider 10-14-2013 05:52 AM

Ditto. Great pic.:D

Tired of Waiting 10-14-2013 03:28 PM

Focus

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 213496)
No you don't! Great picture!

TC_Mike and SteveA

It might only be my eyes but the trees on the right seem to be a bit out of focus.

I hope it's just me.

Thanks for the compliments though.:)

ToW

SteveA 10-16-2013 05:51 AM

Lily Pond in the Mist

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes the mist can really help make for a pretty scene. To me, the colors have been a little dull this year. Someone told me that you need a hard frost to get the best colors.

Only a few spots have had splashes of bright colors.

Attachment 8462

Tired of Waiting 10-18-2013 09:56 AM

Foliage on a lake

For all my Forum Friends up on the big lake. If you are missing the colors cause the peak has gone. Here is a shot I took yesterday at the lake up from my house in Mass. To give you one last look at this years colors.

ToW

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...ake_Colors.jpg

glennsteely 10-23-2013 12:34 AM

Back home....

Just got back to Jersey from NH this afternoon.....we knew we were up past peak, but there were a few areas that still had some color, some good color too!! Coming south today, on our way home we noticed that Mass and Ct and NY still had some nice color too.....then we got to Jersey and BAM!! Brown and Green....thats it!

Well, it was a nice trip! Beautiful, to say the least! I am missing it already! Back to the grind....