Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Roof Repair Recommendation Wanted (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24327)

Dave19 04-15-2019 01:17 PM

Roof Repair Recommendation Wanted

I'm trying to identify someone who would be able to perform some minor roofing repair work on my home in Meredith. I have called several roofers that are listed in the Daily Sun, left multiple messages, but can't get anyone to actually return my call. I'm assuming that given the time of year most contractors are very busy. Hence my poor response rate.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

sky's 04-15-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave19 (Post 309665)
I'm trying to identify someone who would be able to perform some minor roofing repair work on my home in Meredith. I have called several roofers that are listed in the Daily Sun, left multiple messages, but can't get anyone to actually return my call. I'm assuming that given the time of year most contractors are very busy. Hence my poor response rate.

Thanks

unless and hopefully this didn't happen, a tree pierced your roof repairing roofs is no longer a practice. its extremely rare that you can go in and repair a roof. sorry to give the bad news.

Taz 04-24-2019 03:03 PM

Roof repair

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky's (Post 309681)
unless and hopefully this didn't happen, a tree pierced your roof repairing roofs is no longer a practice. its extremely rare that you can go in and repair a roof. sorry to give the bad news.

So are you saying instead of repairing a roof the only way to fix it is hire a roofing contractor to redo/replace the entire roof?

welch-time 04-24-2019 05:20 PM

Depends on the age of the last roofing job and the condition of the shingles.
If the shingles are less than 5-10 years old they should be able to be removed individually, repairs made to the underlying sheathing, then replacing the felt paper and shingles. If the shingles are well sealed and brittle, it can be challenging. I've done it myself, replaced some rotten plywood along the rake edge of my house where water was wicking under the drip edge because of improper shingle overhang. Roofers just don't like doing small jobs. I hate dealing with contractors, so I end up doing a lot of jobs myself. I'm going to be doing this at our cottage soon where I have to move a wood stove chimney pipe, flashing, etc. Should be fun. You just need to find the right guy. Maybe ask around for a good handyman with roofing experience. Most Handymen aren't very good but sometimes you can find a retired carpenter with roofing experience who prefers small jobs. It ain't rocket surgery.
Just remember, If any roofing guy show's up with a big bucket of tar, send him packing...

Rusty 04-24-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Could you give what the "minor repair" consist of.
Is it just a cosmetic problem or something like a leak?

Biggd 04-25-2019 06:15 AM

The problem today is labor is 4 times the price of the materials. They can strip one whole side and reroof in the same amount of time it takes to repair one spot. The good roofers are all busy today so they won't waste there time on a small repair job. Just plain economics in this economy. A lot of work and not enough workers to do it.

SAMIAM 04-25-2019 06:30 AM

It might be a minor repair if you can identify the source of the problem such as tree limb damage or flashing that has separated.
I've fixed my shed roof by weaving in a few spare shingles with roofing cement to the damaged area and it worked fine.
Problem is, most contractors don't want to bother with small jobs.
Good luck

The Real BigGuy 04-25-2019 06:36 AM

A long time ago (25 years or so) I lost a section of roofing to a wind storm. I was lucky enough to find an older retired roofer who just wanted to “stay busy” to do the repairs. Larger companies wanted nothing to do with “repairing”.

As an aside - now, as an older retired person who has done some smaller roofing jobs when younger - he was either a young guy who liked old or he was flat out crazy![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 04-25-2019 07:45 AM

I had a roof done on my 40'x60 commercial building in Mass just before winter and prices were all over the map. I had prices from $9,000 all the way to $16,000. It's a commercial garage that will probably be torn down when I sell so I went with the cheapest price and the guy did a terrific job. He was so busy that he was working 27/7. He did mine on a Saturday /Sunday.

djwade4 04-25-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks

I’m Doug Wade. Call me to see if I can help you. 603-770-3677

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

dpg 04-29-2019 11:09 AM

Poster - Did you call Doug Wade? Was he able to help? He seems to chime in a lot does anybody ever actually take him up on his offers to call him?? Just curious don't mean anything by my question...:rolleye1: