Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need for boater ed comes to the fore (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10371)

Ryan 07-14-2010 11:17 AM

Need for boater ed comes to the fore

Boston.com highlights the need for boater education after recent marine accidents.

New Hampshire's requirement is mentioned in the last paragraph.

Article here

VtSteve 07-14-2010 11:29 AM

Interesting that Mass has a pretty lame policy on the safety course. That will probably change.

Otherwise, not much different. You'd think they'd have a better overall record. Perhaps completing the online course will make everything better.

White buoys or signs with red or orange markings will indicate speed limits and exclusionary zones.
It is unlawful to operate a motorboat at a speed that is greater than reasonable and prudent under the existing conditions.
In Massachusetts, "headway speed" is the minimum speed at which a vessel may be operated and maintain steering. Headway speed is not to exceed 6 miles per hour.
Boats must not operate at more than headway speed when:
Within 150 feet of swimmers
Within 150 feet of marinas, ramps, rafts, or floats
Within 150 to 300 feet of shorelines used as swimming areas
Vision is obscured by bridges, bends in the waterway or for any other reason
Operating in a channel, unless channel markers state that higher speeds are allowed
It is illegal to operate at any speed within 75 feet of floats or markers designating swimming areas and within 150 feet of shorelines used at swimming areas.
Operating at greater than 45 miles per hour on any inland waters of Massachusetts, unless posted otherwise, is unlawful.

Dave R 07-14-2010 05:49 PM

I did a little boating in MA during my lunch break yesterday and it was strange to go on plane 20 feet from the end of the dock and to go by the shore, at 30+ MPH, about 30 feet away. Kinda fun though.

VtSteve 07-14-2010 06:08 PM

You reckless cowboy you :D

Dave R 07-14-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VtSteve (Post 132993)
You reckless cowboy you :D

I was just a passenger...

Mee-n-Mac 07-14-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan (Post 132974)
Boston.com highlights the need for boater education after recent marine accidents.

New Hampshire's requirement is mentioned in the last paragraph.

Interesting that the editorial choose 2 licensed commercial captains to highlight the need for more education. You have thunk that if safety was such an issue they'd have had no problem finding and citing the usual Capt B's foulups. I could use the same 2 data points to "conclude" that extensive training and education doesn't prevent accidents and the lack of such accidents (since none are cited) among the uneducated "proves" such education isn't needed.

While I don't disagree with the conclusion, the article didn't make it's case (or makes it poorly).

ps - The article made it seem as if the duckboat capt was at fault. IIRC the details I read makes it look as if the barge capt was the (more) negligent party.

BroadHopper 07-14-2010 09:10 PM

Mass. Boating

I have splash in a number of inland lakes in Mass. I would think it would be safer to have a bouy system like NH does. I don't know which side of the clorox/milk jugs is navigable in Mass.

Also, I kind of chuckle at the slang, 'Sunkened island'.