Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Election for Mayor of Laconia (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25054)

WinnisquamZ 10-04-2019 04:44 AM

Election for Mayor of Laconia

The information available for the upcoming election to replace the Mayor of Laconia is limited. The Daily Sun appears to be staying away from any type of endorsement. We all understand why. However, are there debates scheduled, a calendar of events for each candidate. With all the changes happening is the city you would think this would be a larger story then what is being written or am I not looking in the right places

fatlazyless 10-04-2019 11:47 AM

Tuesday, November 5, 2019: City of Laconia election ballot for the mayor who serves for two years.

The current mayor is not running.

The ballot for mayor has Andrew Hosmer vs Peter John Spanos, or your write-in choice.

I gonna write in fatlazyless and hope it a no-show type of a job, cause my middle name is lazy and that's no joke!

WinnisquamZ 10-04-2019 12:30 PM

Correct, however who are these individuals? Do they support the current direction the city is going? WOW trail yes or no? Downtown ideas? Schools? Spending? Where do we find these answers

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

BroadHopper 10-04-2019 12:39 PM

Andrew Hosmer

Is doing a series of house parties throughout Laconia. One in my 'hood Monday Oct 7 at 7 PM at 3 Tanglewood Lane.

Spanos had a series of Letters on the TADASUN. That's about it. Very low key.
Remember, the mayor's position is only ceremonial.

WinnisquamZ 10-04-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 320639)
Is doing a series of house parties throughout Laconia. One in my 'hood Monday Oct 7 at 7 PM at 3 Tanglewood Lane.

Spanos had a series of Letters on the TADASUN. That's about it. Very low key.
Remember, the mayor's position is only ceremonial.

Tadasun?

TiltonBB 10-04-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 320644)
Tadasun?

Laconia Daily Sun.

The Mayor runs the City Council meetings so I would say the position is more than ceremonial.

macbeth 10-04-2019 05:10 PM

For such a Smart " I'm assuming " group of people on here. I can't fathom how so many can not see ( Or choose not to ) that 1+1=2. Not going to argue about it, but it just amazes me. Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover. Starts from the TOP. Just do a little more digging. It's there for the public to see. Just have to Look with open eyes.

TiltonBB 10-05-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 320636)
Correct, however who are these individuals? Do they support the current direction the city is going? WOW trail yes or no? Downtown ideas? Schools? Spending? Where do we find these answers

Voters will get a chance to hear the views of mayoral candidates Peter Spanos and Andrew Hosmer in a pair of public forums, one on Tuesday at the Taylor Community and the other on Oct. 21 at Laconia Middle School.

joey2665 10-05-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 320663)
For such a Smart " I'm assuming " group of people on here. I can't fathom how so many can not see ( Or choose not to ) that 1+1=2. Not going to argue about it, but it just amazes me. Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover. Starts from the TOP. Just do a little more digging. It's there for the public to see. Just have to Look with open eyes.

Wow that is extremely pessimistic and not what I am seeing. Yes all cities have issues but there is a lot of reinvestment going on downtown. It all takes time.

fatlazyless 10-05-2019 06:39 AM

....... linden trees!

Plant a linden tree, a hardy tree that does good in urban areas, along Union Ave, to bring large green trees back into the city ........ plant linden trees along Union Ave!

Union Ave used to be all Victorian homes and elm trees ..... and planting new trees could be a long term, grow-a-tree type of a plan for Laconia.

Plant a linden tree in Laconia ....... and, watch it grow.

http://www.justfunfacts.com/interest...-linden-trees/

Do a google search for 'linden tree in urban area', and look at the photos. Lindens are common in Belarus, Czech Republic, England, Ireland, Germany, Poland and Ukraine with a climate similar to New Hampshire. Union Ave would be greatly improved with some linden trees .... plus, it's a low cost to plant one. You just dig a big hole, and plop it into the ground ....... done! ...... plus the city already has a big yellow digger machine ..... and, the new mayor can then say "just look at all these beautiful new linden trees, here in Laconia!"

WinnisquamZ 10-05-2019 10:36 AM

Read the Sun. Good we have a chance to listen to each, but all questions must be submitted before hand and approval is need. You won’t be able to ask real questions. I would vote for the candidate that takes live questions from voters!

macbeth 10-05-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 320687)
Wow that is extremely pessimistic and not what I am seeing. Yes all cities have issues but there is a lot of reinvestment going on downtown. It all takes time.

I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia. Maybe it's the LI part of you that can't see. This is a very REALISTIC view of what's happening in Laconia. FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past. Left in 69 with urban renewal which is same thing that is happening now ( Just in different words ). If you choose to not see it, that is not my problem. Maybe you are looking for it to be like LI. Not sure, but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.
I have to many friends on the Force that have my opinion's and worse attitude's.
about what Laconia has turned into. Just Stating the obvious, Just look at what a lot of people on here have posted about Laconia. Never a good thing. Just sayin !

fatlazyless 10-06-2019 09:55 AM

..... buzz-buzz-buzz!

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 320709)
.... I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia .... FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past ....... but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.

...... well, another serious good reason for planting linden trees, because linden trees will help to cure drug addiction ..... just, take a look at the link above in #10 to fun facts about linden trees .... the curative benefits derived from the linden ..... plus is a bee buzz attraction for honey bees ..... who use the linden tree to get a buzz on ..... buzz-buzz-buzz!

CooperS7777 10-06-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 320687)

I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

I was Born/Raised/and Live in Laconia. Maybe it's the LI part of you that can't see. This is a very REALISTIC view of what's happening in Laconia. FYI, Laconia's DOWNTOWN is the thing of the past. Left in 69 with urban renewal which is same thing that is happening now ( Just in different words ). If you choose to not see it, that is not my problem. Maybe you are looking for it to be like LI. Not sure, but all downtown Laconia is a Den for Drug users.
I have to many friends on the Force that have my opinion's and worse attitude's.
about what Laconia has turned into. Just Stating the obvious, Just look at what a lot of people on here have posted about Laconia. Never a good thing. Just sayin !

Laconia's downtown is heading in the right direction, its certainly not in a thing of the past. Its clear for anyone whose spent time down there over the past decade that there are many great new, thriving business which are here for the long term and that improvements, though no moving at the pace most would like, are happening. Anyone can form an opinion based upon what "people have posted", it takes a little more effort to get out and see for yourself.

The real problem is the people who are stuck blaming its "demise" on decisions made 50+ years ago and who unwilling to face the challenges we face today in turning it into a great place yet again.

macbeth 10-06-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 320729)
I couldn't agree more.

Laconia's downtown is heading in the right direction, its certainly not in a thing of the past. Its clear for anyone whose spent time down there over the past decade that there are many great new, thriving business which are here for the long term and that improvements, though no moving at the pace most would like, are happening. Anyone can form an opinion based upon what "people have posted", it takes a little more effort to get out and see for yourself.

The real problem is the people who are stuck blaming its "demise" on decisions made 50+ years ago and who unwilling to face the challenges we face today in turning it into a great place yet again.

What exactly are these challenges you so speak about. It's the same problem other then we don't have a Main st.
Ask anyone that lives in Laconia for any length of time. Also actually stop and ask police officer, off the record. Please just ask and get the true first hand info.

iw8surf 10-07-2019 05:03 AM

I see a lot of businesses in downtown Laconia not so much thriving, but just staying alive. Struggle through the winter to hopefully just make enough during the summer to stay open another year.

joey2665 10-07-2019 06:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the LI comments I appreciate it. I have been in the area for 15 years own several businesses in the area and a large commercial building in downtown Laconia. Again nothing is perfect but the city is moving in the right direction but cannot stop here. We need forward thinking leadership to continue growth by attracting more businesses and more destinations within the city.

As far as the drug issue, this unfortunately is extremely common in small cities such as Laconia and growing the city brining more awareness will help the issue. There is no fix quick cure.

joey2665 10-07-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 320730)
What exactly are these challenges you so speak about. It's the same problem other then we don't have a Main st.
Ask anyone that lives in Laconia for any length of time. Also actually stop and ask police officer, off the record. Please just ask and get the true first hand info.

If you are so pessimistic about Laconia why do you still live there? Yes I have spoken to many residents and law enforcement and all say it is definitely getting better, maybe not as fast as they would like but again a positive direction.

macbeth 10-07-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 320736)
If you are so pessimistic about Laconia why do you still live there? Yes I have spoken to many residents and law enforcement and all say it is definitely getting better, maybe not as fast as they would like but again a positive direction.

Money reasons rule so many things. I'm not saying you DIDN'T speak with any, however I highly doubt it. They KNOW it's not getting better, and if your friends with them, they will tell you the truth. Take the Colonial Theater as the PRIME EXAMPLE, There as been talk for years and years about refurbishing it. I actually know one of the Key people in the revitalization aspect of it. It won't happen. These will be my last words with you. You choose to wear rose colored glasses. I only the other hand don't wear glasses and can see what's going on perfectly. When reality hits you, then and only then you will see what Laconia has begun and continuing to be. Try to have a wonderful day.

Major 10-07-2019 09:38 AM

This Weekend

The number of drug users are worse than ever. I went to 4:00 pm Mass at St. Josephs and parked in the large parking lot adjacent to city hall. On the grass near the river, two drug addicts were trying to revive another drug addict who was sprawled on the ground. I waited a little to call 911 just in case, but he seemed to be coming around so I left.

Around the corner at the library, the usual litany of homeless people were hanging around on the steps of the library.

Yes, there are businesses trying to make it, but we are not attracting the type of people who will make these businesses thrive. The older population is being replaced by Section 8 and drug rehab types, and my guess is that they are not the target audience for expensive coffee shops and lunch places, or to attend the theater.

macbeth 10-07-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 320749)
The number of drug users are worse than ever. I went to 4:00 pm Mass at St. Josephs and parked in the large parking lot adjacent to city hall. On the grass near the river, two drug addicts were trying to revive another drug addict who was sprawled on the ground. I waited a little to call 911 just in case, but he seemed to be coming around so I left.

Around the corner at the library, the usual litany of homeless people were hanging around on the steps of the library.

Yes, there are businesses trying to make it, but we are not attracting the type of people who will make these businesses thrive. The older population is being replaced by Section 8 and drug rehab types, and my guess is that they are not the target audience for expensive coffee shops and lunch places, or to attend the theater.

Correct Major, Thank you. Unfortunately Laconia is going in the way of Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Denver, Seattle, etc etc. Maybe not as strong due to population, but just seems to be the same scenario as most L-----L run Cities and States. That's not being pessimistic that is Reality.

fatlazyless 10-07-2019 10:16 AM

Isn't there a homeless shelter on nearby Union Ave that sends the homeless out at 8am, or sometime, every day, so's they go hit the public library area.

Like this morning, it is pouring rain hard, so's if you got no home and no car ..... where do you go ..... the public library would be at the top of my list ..... it has comfy chairs, indoor toilets with hot water sinks, and free-to-use internet so one can kill some time writing posts on this here Winni Forum!

It even has books to read. Supposedly, people doing long time in prison do a lot of reading books from the prison library. Isn't this correct!

The drug users probably just want to escape their miserable life, so they do drugs, and go escape themself.

I still say that Laconia would be a happier and more livable place if linden trees got planted all over, wherever one will grow and be a happy LINDEN growing in LACONIA.

Woodsy 10-07-2019 11:11 AM

I got to chat with Pete Spanos over the weekend. Gov. Sununu even swung by to say hi! I liked what I heard from him.

Because I think taxes are a huge issue, especially in Laconia, I asked about the tax cap... He is not in favor of getting rid of it. He wants a vibrant downtown, but not at the expense of every other neighborhood in the city.

Woodsy

Mr. V 10-07-2019 02:28 PM

I'm far removed from the "realty of Laconia," but it seems pretty clear that the main problem is that the mills closed down and not enough new businesses came in to take there place.

On the other hand, if there aren't enough jobs for willing applicants, why is it so hard to find workers for restaurants?

Are people too picky, too lazy?

WinnisquamZ 10-07-2019 06:27 PM

Spanos is the better of the two if you are looking to lower spending and watch expenditures. My concern is he works away from Laconia and just built a million dollar lake house in Tilton. Having a difficult time understanding his commitment to the community

macbeth 10-07-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 320784)

I hope you are correct. I too would like to see it come back to its former glory, but its missing something.

Laconia (almost) 50 years ago from above, hard to believe it's been (almost) 50 years ago when they started urban renewal.

https://i.imgur.com/CqdbvFG.jpg

but its missing something.. Let's start with a Main Street. Build from there.

CooperS7777 10-07-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 320730)

The city faces many challenges but none of which I feel are entirely unique to Laconia, and none of which are issues that other cities haven't faced and overcome before. Of the most glaring are; a lack of affordable, middle income housing, lack of industry and the associated job market to support more of the cities residents and the drug epidemic.

I grew up in the Lakes Region, have been a resident of Laconia for 12+ years, a property owner for 10+, and have also recently invested in downtown business. Does that qualify my opinion as that of someone who has lived in Laconia for any length of time? Lastly, I am in fact good friends with several members of LPD as well as LFD, so I have plenty of "first hand" information.

WinnisquamZ 10-07-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 320788)
The city faces many challenges but none of which I feel are entirely unique to Laconia, and none of which are issues that other cities haven't faced and overcome before. Of the most glaring are; a lack of affordable, middle income housing, lack of industry and the associated job market to support more of the cities residents and the drug epidemic.

I grew up in the Lakes Region, have been a resident of Laconia for 12+ years, a property owner for 10+, and have also recently invested in downtown business. Does that qualify my opinion as that of someone who has lived in Laconia for any length of time? Lastly, I am in fact good friends with several members of LPD as well as LFD, so I have plenty of "first hand" information.

But, you did not tell us anything. You told us about your ties to the community, however you left out what direction the city should take and solutions to get us there

CooperS7777 10-07-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 320790)
But, you did not tell us anything. You told us about your ties to the community, however you left out what direction the city should take and solutions to get us there

I never claimed to hold the answers to our cities problems. I simply stated its much easier write a place off based upon ones readings on the internet, or the opinions of a few, then it is to be part of the solution.

My biggest contention was that macbeth is simply wrong in the statement:

Quote:

Originally Posted by macbeth (Post 320663)
Laconia is in a downward spin and will never recover.

macbeth 10-07-2019 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperS7777 (Post 320791)
I never claimed to hold the answers to our cities problems. I simply stated its much easier write a place off based upon ones readings on the internet, or the opinions of a few, then it is to be part of the solution.

My only biggest contention was that macbeth is simply wrong in the statement:

So, let me understand this correctly. Because YOU don't agree with my opinion
I am WRONG. Sounds like California Thinking to me. Don't worry, winter is right around the corner, you will feel right at home then.

joey2665 10-07-2019 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 320784)

I hope you are correct. I too would like to see it come back to its former glory, but its missing something.

Laconia (almost) 50 years ago from above, hard to believe it's been (almost) 50 years ago when they started urban renewal.

https://i.imgur.com/CqdbvFG.jpg

Thanks Top Water. Great photos can see my building as it was 50 years ago. Very cool. I appreciate it very much.

fatlazyless 10-08-2019 04:04 AM

.... the wow trail?

Looking at Peter Spanos' facebook photos, there's a number of mountain peaks in the white mountains as go-to spots for weekend recreation hiking. Places that lots or readers here are probably familiar with, like posing with friends for a photo on the summit spot with the summit of Mt Washington, elevation 6288-sign, high atop the "rock pile."

So, Peter must be a hiker, and that probably means he could be a good supporter for building the wow trail cause he knows the benefits of outdoor walking exercise for the community.

People want to get out there and do some walking, and the wow trail could be a great place to go take a walk along the lake in Laconia.

Major 10-08-2019 10:51 AM

I wish we were tracking for a brighter future, I really do. However, the evidence suggests the contrary. Where is the investment in attracting small businesses and manufacturing jobs? There isn't any, both on a local and state level. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the city council decided to invest in Section 8 housing and drug rehab centers, and this decision, unfortunately, will follow us in the future. Needless to say we are not attracting the best and the brightest who would raise families, attend our schools, and ultimately increase the value of our properties. We are experiencing one of the greatest economic booms since the mid-eighties, and what has that done to improve downtown Laconia. Not much. Imagine when a downturn occurs, what the economic future will be like at that time.

Like Macbeth, I grew up in Laconia. I am personal friends with the former chief. The police are spinning the problem, and if you think about it, what are they supposed to say? "Laconia is attracting more and more homeless drug users?" Of course they will tell you that Laconia has a bright future, etc. I spend a lot of time driving around Laconia, and my eyes tell me something different. Look at the beautiful homes on Pleasant Street turned into rundown apartments and the homes of a lot of people who make their way into the paper. Look at the abandoned/dilapidated homes along Union Ave and Court Street.

This problem will only grow, not only in Laconia but on the East Coast in general. We have a penchant in adopting the liberal policies founded on the West Coast. Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.

Mr. V 10-08-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 320820)
Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.

What "solutions are available" to the drug / homeless problem?

Bring back vagrancy laws?

MAXUM 10-08-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

I wish we were tracking for a brighter future, I really do. However, the evidence suggests the contrary. Where is the investment in attracting small businesses and manufacturing jobs? There isn't any, both on a local and state level. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but the city council decided to invest in Section 8 housing and drug rehab centers, and this decision, unfortunately, will follow us in the future. Needless to say we are not attracting the best and the brightest who would raise families, attend our schools, and ultimately increase the value of our properties. We are experiencing one of the greatest economic booms since the mid-eighties, and what has that done to improve downtown Laconia. Not much. Imagine when a downturn occurs, what the economic future will be like at that time.

Like Macbeth, I grew up in Laconia. I am personal friends with the former chief. The police are spinning the problem, and if you think about it, what are they supposed to say? "Laconia is attracting more and more homeless drug users?" Of course they will tell you that Laconia has a bright future, etc. I spend a lot of time driving around Laconia, and my eyes tell me something different. Look at the beautiful homes on Pleasant Street turned into rundown apartments and the homes of a lot of people who make their way into the paper. Look at the abandoned/dilapidated homes along Union Ave and Court Street.

This problem will only grow, not only in Laconia but on the East Coast in general. We have a penchant in adopting the liberal policies founded on the West Coast. Homeless encampments are already here (on the river and off the Wow trail), and will be on full display in the near future. The solutions are available, but the political climate is against them. This shouldn't be the case, but we tolerate it and we get what we deserve.

A very well put assessment.

iw8surf 10-08-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

I agree about not adding manufacturing jobs. I was recruited to the lakes region out of college as a young engineer. After years at the company looking for a new job in the area was nonexistent. On top of that the offers I was getting from southern NH (30 miles south) were literally double the salary I got in Laconia. My biggest gripe wasn't even for my wages but the the hourly wage folks. What they paid people in the area was embarrassing, 9-13$/hr and we worked in "Aerospace" literally building stuff for the military, Space X etc. What kind of talent do you target when you offer those kind of wages? We essentially would just hire people (mostly from Laconia) who could pass the initial drug tests and then they'd work for a short period of time before they would fail the 90 day random tests we told them they'd have to take. Was a vicious cycle of turnover. Got real good at hiring and firing over those years though.

Biggd 10-08-2019 12:35 PM

Just read an article titled "Homes in these waterfront cities are a total steal". Laconia is one of them. :emb::emb::emb::emb: You do get more house for the money compared to the other towns on the lake but they don't mention the negatives that contribute to the lowers prices.

Major 10-08-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 320821)
What "solutions are available" to the drug / homeless problem?

Bring back vagrancy laws?

While I would not equate vagrancy with homelessness, we should not tolerate homelessness. People should have the right to travel freely. It is still America after all. If it's an issue of mental disorders, then we should evaluate and treat the mentally ill.

Here's an idea, let's bring back conservative values. Instead of teaching our kids that they can't get ahead because of [INSERT REASON], let's teach self-reliance and personal accountability. As a society we should punish abhorrent behavior, including homelessness. It can be done. Look at what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC. They did not tolerate homelessness. As a result, NYC became safer. Enforce the little things and the bigger things will fall in line.

joey2665 10-08-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 320828)
Look at what Mayor Giuliani did in NYC. They did not tolerate homelessness. As a result, NYC became safer. Enforce the little things and the bigger things will fall in line.

Absolutely correct and now after all his hard work, we had 8 years of Bloomberg and now 5 years of DeBlasio (Who doesn't even show up for work) NYC has now done a complete 360 and spiraling downward fast!!!

VitaBene 10-08-2019 04:19 PM

Work to be done

I agree that Laconia faces many challenges. As Major notes, we need to attract small businesses that can offer year round employment. One shining star in the area is Orion Entrance Controls https://orioneci.com/about/which manufactures turnstiles and other entrance controls right in Laconia. They recently tripled the size of their facility. They make great product that I specify often.