Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A rare beautiful November evening... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20005)

jazzman 11-04-2015 05:20 PM

A rare beautiful November evening...

1 Attachment(s)
Almost time to leave, but I couldn't resist a week of 60s.

8gv 11-04-2015 07:32 PM

Nice shot!

So the question is...

Are we enjoying this nice weather as compensation for bad winters past or the one to come?

dpg 11-05-2015 11:38 AM

Nope above average warmth this winter...You heard it here first...:D

Oregonrain 11-05-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 253640)
Nope above average warmth this winter...You heard it here first...:D

Really? I hope so, as we might be moving in the dead of winter. I don't drive in snow (we don't get any... lol) so I was a bit nervous driving our van, pulling a 20' trailer, on snowy roads.

Taz 11-05-2015 03:47 PM

warmth/snow

Oregonian, above average warmth does not also correlate to below average snow. Many winters that are super cold do not produce much snow. Sometimes warmer winters mean more snow. It will snow in the low 30's which is not very cold for winter here.

Merrymeeting 11-05-2015 05:27 PM

The thing that made the last 2 winters so memorable (infamous?) is not the snow but the unrelenting, BITTER, cold. The reason the snow and ice were so bad last year is because we never had the thawing/melting during the day that we normally have in February and early March. So it just kept piling up!

Slickcraft 11-05-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregonrain (Post 253652)
Really? I hope so, as we might be moving in the dead of winter. I don't drive in snow (we don't get any... lol) so I was a bit nervous driving our van, pulling a 20' trailer, on snowy roads.

For many storms last winter it was too cold here to snow much. The storm tracks follow the boundary between very cold and warmer so several times southern NH and Mass got a lot more snow than we did.

As Taz has noted it can snow in the low 30s, heavy wet nasty stuff.

An old Yankee winter saying when the temps are like zero to 10 above "It has to warm up to snow".:D

Oregonrain 11-05-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 253653)
Oregonian, above average warmth does not also correlate to below average snow. Many winters that are super cold do not produce much snow. Sometimes warmer winters mean more snow. It will snow in the low 30's which is not very cold for winter here.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens and wait and see when our place here sells. Don't you just love the 'waiting' game?

TCC 11-07-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregonrain (Post 253652)

I've lived my entire 60+ years in snow country, from Alaska to Michigan to Maine, and I certainly would not relish driving from Oregon to New Hampshire in the winter in a van pulling a trailer! If you absolutely have to move in the winter, consider putting you belongings in a POD, leave the van with a friend, fly here, then go back after May 1 to make the drive when it will actually be pleasant. Better still, sell the van, fly out, and buy another vehicle when you get here.

Unless you're coming by a VERY circuitous route you'll likely have snow potential most of the trip, and snow + van + trailer = very serious business. (We ran into a snowstorm in Alabama this past February. :rolleye1:)

tis 11-07-2015 07:18 AM

Did you find a house yet, Oregonrain?

Argie's Wife 11-08-2015 08:41 PM

Just an observation...

How ironic that this beautiful sunset appeared on the evening of our Sunset Bob's departure from this world... fitting.

Oregonrain 11-11-2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 253702)
Did you find a house yet, Oregonrain?

Not yet. We're still in Oregon and probably will be for awhile. We have a lot of things to sort through, pack, give away etc. before we can sell this house. I'm just impatient and want to have this all done yesterday. My dear husband (we've been married 2 years) has 3 rooms full of computers, electronics, ham radios and other stuff that he needs to take care of...

8gv 11-11-2015 06:11 PM

Showing a house for sale requires massive de-clutter efforts!

A rented storage unit can take the pressure off.