Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Hot Tub problem (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15950)

Pineedles 06-18-2013 12:34 PM

Hot Tub problem

In the general discussion section there is a discussion on rental property advise to owners. Latest thread is talking about a renter abusing a hot tub. My problem is with a nephew who doesn't know his own strength. He was turning the valve that opens the headrest "waterfall" on my Thermo-Spa hot tub and he broke the knob off. Water got in and the control panel went dark. I turned the tub off at the breaker, drained the tub, looked for any water seepage and saw none, refilled, and turned power back on. Still no panel display. Anyone ever deal with electronic repair/replacement? Like to know what kind of cost I could be looking at before I call the factory tech in for a look see. Luckily the factory is only 10 miles away, but I know it will cost me over $150.00 just to walk onto my back deck.

SIKSUKR 06-18-2013 01:27 PM

I replaced my control/display panel on my old tub.Pretty easy cuz it was plug and play.4 screwss held the display and one wiring harness to plug in.Take a look at it yourself.It might be a very easy fix.

brk-lnt 06-18-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 205958)
In the general discussion section there is a discussion on rental property advise to owners. Latest thread is talking about a renter abusing a hot tub. My problem is with a nephew who doesn't know his own strength. He was turning the valve that opens the headrest "waterfall" on my Thermo-Spa hot tub and he broke the knob off. Water got in and the control panel went dark. I turned the tub off at the breaker, drained the tub, looked for any water seepage and saw none, refilled, and turned power back on. Still no panel display. Anyone ever deal with electronic repair/replacement? Like to know what kind of cost I could be looking at before I call the factory tech in for a look see. Luckily the factory is only 10 miles away, but I know it will cost me over $150.00 just to walk onto my back deck.

Things like that are *usually* a very simple swap. Have you tried looking to see how easy it is to get to the control panel? My guess it that it's a 15 minute job.

codeman671 06-18-2013 02:51 PM

It is usually very easy and often times the panels are somewhat generic and available online through a Spa Supply company, not just the mfg. They often can be obtained on Ebay as well.

camp guy 06-18-2013 05:01 PM

Hot tub problem

I guess I wouldn't be myself if I didn't remimd everyone that electricity and water DO NOT mix. Shutting everything off at the panel is the first thing to do, then monkey around with trying to fix it. Oh, by the way, do not be IN the hot tyub while trying to fix it.

NoBozo 06-18-2013 06:31 PM

i have never understood Hot Tubs. I guess i am just an Old Fart. A Hot Tub just seems like a large "Petri Dish"...things... growing. Why would you want to submerge yourself in that...everyone sweating.... urinating..YUK..:look: NB

I guess I'm just not cool...:D

ITD 06-18-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBozo (Post 205982)
i have never understood Hot Tubs. I guess i am just an Old Fart. A Hot Tub just seems like a large "Petri Dish"...things... growing. Why would you want to submerge yourself in that...everyone sweating.... urinating..YUK..:look: NB

I guess I'm just not cool...:D

Urinating????? You need better friends.:laugh: I'm with you on the large Petri dish, but that is what bromide or chlorine plus the filtration system is for.

codeman671 06-18-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 205984)
Urinating????? You need better friends.:laugh: I'm with you on the large Petri dish, but that is what bromide or chlorine plus the filtration system is for.

It doesn't take long to wreck a tub.. A few small kids that pee in it, not bathe first and don't rinse their feet and they can be a mess. I have pictures to prove that....

Happy Gourmand 06-19-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeman671 (Post 205990)
It doesn't take long to wreck a tub.. A few small kids that pee in it, not bathe first and don't rinse their feet and they can be a mess. I have pictures to prove that....

I'm thinking the hottub should be off limits to renters unless there is an extra fee and you can check on it a couple times during the week to make sure it isn't being trashed. Here's a tweist on a saying I've seen from time to time, maybe you could post this near the hot tub. "Don't pee in my hot tub, I don't soak in your toilet."

Pineedles 06-19-2013 07:23 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions, particularly about looking at a panel replacement. I never thought about that as an easy fix, but I will look at that as my first step. Thanks again!:D

trashman 06-19-2013 07:42 AM

Not for renters

Without a doubt, the hot tub should be off limits to renters. I also think it should be off limits to kids. No matter how many times you tell them to put their feet in the bucket of water provided next to the tub, they don't do a good job, sand gets into the system, and its over. Renters just wont care at all. These things are so damn expensive in the first place, but the service charges are astronomical.

Kamper 06-21-2013 06:56 AM

(With the power off...)

After you replace that knob, open up the panel in front of the control unit. Open the control box and look around for fuses/circuit breakers. Leave the panel open for a while in case there is moisture in there. If there's more than one fuse make a diagram of where they go. Take the old ones to the hard-ware store and get replacements.

These things have safety features built into them. Mine has temp sensor that shuts down everything until it cools down. I figured this out by filling from the hot-water in my house. I thought the thing had died! The next day I flipped the power back on and it started up again.

Good luck!

fatlazyless 06-21-2013 07:39 AM

Free repair advice on hot tubs is easy to get.....just go to Energysavers in Meredith and ask them what the heck to do.....and possibly bring the broken part for a little show & tell.

fpartri497 06-21-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 206138)
Free repair advice on hot tubs is easy to get.....just go to Energysavers in Meredith and ask them what the heck to do.....and possibly bring the broken part for a little show & tell.

and don't forget to ask for a refund :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fatlazyless 06-21-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fpartri497 (Post 206148)
and don't forget to ask for a refund :laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah....who knows....maybe that part from 1999 will still be on warranty....never hurts to try?

no-engine 06-23-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashman (Post 206006)
Without a doubt, the hot tub should be off limits to renters. I also think it should be off limits to kids. No matter how many times you tell them to put their feet in the bucket of water provided next to the tub, they don't do a good job, sand gets into the system, and its over. Renters just wont care at all. These things are so damn expensive in the first place, but the service charges are astronomical.

NEVER rent property with out a deposit for damage, in writing, either by green cash or credit card with available line!

Only refundable after you inspect. If you allow use of spa/hot tub, no refund till you have tested the water! My bro in law does rent out during Annapolis Naval Academy commissioning/graduation WEEK, and will often say in contract "up to 4 weeks". Of course, they often have full rentals payments received 6-12 months in advance! It is late May, so I think they never use hot tub in weather that warm. Who needs a hot tub in summer weather; save it for yourself early and late season. Off limits to renters!

TiltonBB 06-25-2013 06:51 PM

Hot Tub for renters

I have a rental on the lake in Gilford that has a hot tub. I have not had problems yet and I have been renting the house out since 2004.

I do check the chemicals 2 or 3 times each week and keep the chlorine a little on the high side while the house is rented out. I think the hot tub helps to keep the house 100% rented in the summer. When people are looking at multiple homes and trying to choose one, it helps mine to stand out.

However, after it has been occupied by renters I wouldnt use it myself until I drained the water, cleaned the filters and put fresh water in it. You never know what may have happened in there!