Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fish Tales (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How is the bass fishing? Largemouth/Smallmouth? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23336)

greeleyhill 05-23-2018 08:40 PM

How is the bass fishing? Largemouth/Smallmouth?

Wondering where the bass are this time of year? Are they tight up against shore or somewhere out in deeper water. Need some help knowing where they are and what to use to catch them...maybe it's too early in the season but I welcome any advice. Thanks in advance!

kawishiwi 05-23-2018 10:51 PM

They are preparing to make baby bass...

Last 2 sundays found smallmouth deep into bays off the main lake on 4 to 5ft dirty sandy flats. Jerk baits were very good but water temps were mid 50s so give them time to bite. Got my biggest smallie in 4 yrs in 10ft on a lipless which was the only fish not caught on a jerk bait in < 5ft of water. Havent seen Largies but I dont really look for them. Remember its catch & release only now and no live bait thru June 15th.

PaugusBayFireFighter 05-24-2018 06:22 AM

Heading out for bass this morning. As of Monday they were still off shore, at least on the north side of Paugus. I would bet they have come closer to the shallows after the last couple of warm sunny days. They should be on beds and pretty aggressive any day now.

Hurry up AC...I'm going to take everything around CI this weekend!

AC2717 05-24-2018 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 295095)
Heading out for bass this morning. As of Monday they were still off shore, at least on the north side of Paugus. I would bet they have come closer to the shallows after the last couple of warm sunny days. They should be on beds and pretty aggressive any day now.
Last May 30 on Paugus.

The Blueberry gets in the water Saturday morning, and will be out early every weekend day from then on, No way this year!!!

already landed some 3lb larry's up in Moultonboro a few weekends back out with a friend, and had great fishing that whole weekend, too many smallies to count, in about 8-12 feet of water, inline spinners and jerk baits, followed up by tubes and weighted senko's

was that off of your place near the rock formation??

My buddy snagged a beast near the pickerel cove entrance last weekend, photos are on my phone, goofball never weighed it

greeleyhill 05-24-2018 07:57 PM

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for the tips everyone. We don't usually get out this early in the year so the tips are really helpful. I wasn't aware of the rules this time of year but we always catch and release and we never use live bait so by chance, we are good there :) We fished last weekend for about 4 hours in about 8 to 20 feet and only caught 2. Rocky bottom - both were taken on senkos. First fish of the year for us - we were thinking this is just the beginning, it's only going to get better from here!

AC2717 05-25-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 295095)

shoot me that photo, I wanted to send it to my cousin to get him to get moving up here faster with His Nitro

rsmlp 06-16-2018 06:28 AM

Smallies

Catching quite a few large smallies right off our dock at South point these days using Yamamoto worms. Strictly catch and release of course. Also catching pretty large rockbass and that's it. Dispatch the rockbass but they are prolific sob's.

mhtranger 06-16-2018 02:11 PM

Fished today up in the Moultonborough area this morning. Some good smallies around and a crap ton of rock bass. Not a single large mouth bass to be had. We threw everything at them.

rsmlp 06-17-2018 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhtranger (Post 296064)
Fished today up in the Moultonborough area this morning. Some good smallies around and a crap ton of rock bass. Not a single large mouth bass to be had. We threw everything at them.

Really sad. I ONLY catch smallies and rockbass now. Used to catch largemouth, pickerel, whitefish, perch and even sunfish. Freakin rockbass have excoriated the lake!

tis 06-17-2018 06:46 AM

Between the rockbass and the geese, I think the lake has been taken over.

noreast 06-17-2018 01:43 PM

Sunapee was out of business for a while from those friggen rock bass.

rsmlp 06-18-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 296090)
Sunapee was out of business for a while from those friggen rock bass.

So has Sunapee been able to eradicate rockbass and if so, how?

noreast 06-18-2018 02:56 PM

I don't think there gone but I believe they had all you can catch (and kill) tournaments. The rock bass out competed and out ate the others babies, they seem to be doing it here as well.

MRD 06-18-2018 03:53 PM

Bigger Rock bass

I have noticed that I am catching bigger rock bass each year. Plenty of small ones but every so often a significantly bigger fish shows up. I am always happy to pull a big breeder out of the lake. I catch one small mouth for every two dozen rock bass. I probably caught between 200 and 300 in front of my house last year. They own the lake at this point. It doesn't seem to matter how many I pull out--there are always more to take their place.

mhtranger 06-19-2018 05:54 AM

The ones I catch are returned to the lake as a food source for the turtles or birds.

rsmlp 06-19-2018 06:37 AM

bass

I have not yet noticed a drop off in smallies vs rockbass-at least at south point. That said, I use a big bait (Yamamoto worms) that only large rockbass will hit.

Flyfisha 06-19-2018 06:35 PM

Sunapee Rock bass

The rock bass have not gone anywhere in Sunapee. They have a fishing tournament annually sponsored by the recreation department.

See

https://www.facebook.com/events/1726722360939570/

For details.