Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Otters in lake? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22540)

missmybid 08-27-2017 08:24 AM

Otters in lake?

I saw something yesterday afternoon when I was paddling near Dolly Island. It popped its head up about 20 feet in front of my kayak, looked at me for a minute, went under and resurfaced about 10 feet away from its original position. Looked at me some more then disappeared. It had a roundish head ... too big to be a mink. Thoughts?

Biggd 08-27-2017 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmybid (Post 284725)
I saw something yesterday afternoon when I was paddling near Dolly Island. It popped its head up about 20 feet in front of my kayak, looked at me for a minute, went under and resurfaced about 10 feet away from its original position. Looked at me some more then disappeared. It had a roundish head ... too big to be a mink. Thoughts?

Lock Ness?

Barney Bear 08-27-2017 09:50 AM

Fish Story

A neighbor on East Bear Island watched otters bring fish onto his swim raft to enjoy a delicious feast. 🐟

Island-Ho 08-27-2017 01:01 PM

3 Otters

I saw three swimming together a few weeks ago, and then one solo 10 days later in the Forties. Best I can tell they are otters. We have mink, and they did not swim or look like a mink.

8gv 08-27-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island-Ho (Post 284747)
I saw three swimming together a few weeks ago, and then one solo 10 days later in the Forties. Best I can tell they are otters. We have mink, and they did not swim or look like a mink.

As in 1940's?

kawishiwi 08-27-2017 03:31 PM

Otters gawk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 284730)
Lock Ness?

Otters are very curious and will look you over. We had a pair, in Minnesota, try to warn us off their fishing spot with raspy cries. Once they figured out we were not leaving our shoreline casting location they quitely watched for a bit before disappearing.

boat_guy64 08-28-2017 12:21 PM

Otters

We have had otters that past 4 years. They seem to arrive in late summer and stay through the fall. They stockpile lots of fish remnants under our deck so if you don't see them, you usually smell that they have been around. This year, they arrived about 3 weeks ago. I spent a bunch of time watching them Saturday afternoon. They are fun to watch and listen to. They are very active, awesome at fishing and they do lots and lots of chirping to each other.
We also have minks. They are also good at fishing but are much smaller and quieter.

Island-Ho 08-30-2017 07:38 PM

Clarification

To answer 8gv's question, the Forties are a group of islands between Camp and Welch. They all have their own names as well.

8gv 08-30-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Island-Ho (Post 284972)
To answer 8gv's question, the Forties are a group of islands between Camp and Welch. They all have their own names as well.

Interesting.

Thanks

jpjm 09-01-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawishiwi (Post 284753)
Otters are very curious and will look you over. We had a pair, in Minnesota, try to warn us off their fishing spot with raspy cries. Once they figured out we were not leaving our shoreline casting location they quitely watched for a bit before disappearing.

how do you stop them from coming on your deck

kawishiwi 09-01-2017 02:26 PM

No Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpjm (Post 285035)
how do you stop them from coming on your deck

I really have no idea. Most of my otter experience is from canoe camping trips. A pair hauled out on our campsite and were coming right for us until the young girl with us made a sound. They promtly returned to the lake but hauled out again about 40 ft away. I would guess you might need something moving on your deck.

garykunz 10-04-2017 08:08 AM

Mink in my boathouse

In winter a mink poops in my boathouse, any suggestions on how to keep it out?

Hillcountry 10-04-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garykunz (Post 286350)
In winter a mink poops in my boathouse, any suggestions on how to keep it out?

Mothballs have been used in closed areas for mice and other rodents...also scented dryer sheets. You could live trap them with a small cage type trap and release them in a far away place too. Call an exterminator company?