Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Getting Here (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Getting there from here... (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24281)

trfour 04-16-2019 09:18 PM

Busy Cafe'

2 Attachment(s)
The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!
:)
Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!

trfour 04-17-2019 02:47 PM

Never Took Much To Entertain Us Kids.Pic#

2 Attachment(s)
Removing a splinter from my LegO!

Pic#2. Us-Tube Photo??

trfour 04-17-2019 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of us love Coney Island hotDogs...

My younger sister Doña says in this photo, ( way too late , of course ) Hold The Sauerkraut!!

trfour 04-17-2019 07:13 PM

Smokey and the Bandit

2 Attachment(s)
The whole Swat Team.

We got pulled over again just outside of Bakersfield California, on our way there, from the east coast, and it was like a swat team, that descended upon us!!
Well, the Sergent at arms thought that we were over width, and there fore illegal, not covered in our permits! ... He had one of his subtenants call in to check it out, only to find that we were good to go!

The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

Pic # 1. C.H.P's Major Sargent
And, Not Resume Photos.

moose tracks 04-18-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 309830)
The Sergent felt so bad, that he gave us some coupons for free donuts at a local donut shop...

It is very special for a cop to give up coupons for free donuts :). Thanks for all the great pictures Trfour.

trfour 04-18-2019 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Moose, my pleasure.
Even though none of my photos ever came out as good as theirs, it was the Life photog's that got me hooked on taking photos as they gave me a camera and all the film I wanted at the begining of our journey.
Thanks to our Webmaster Don, all of us forum members get to post and share our photos here on this wonderful website alowing us Much pleasure and fun over many many years now, and I consider all as extended Family.
Love,
Terry

trfour 04-18-2019 04:39 PM

Oh, and

1 Attachment(s)
No Broom, chimney sweep.

trfour 04-18-2019 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Even travel logging, including every gallon of gas, how many miles and such, and planning was Fun. We were fix'in to embark to the Wisconsin Dell's, and take the Boat Cruise...

trfour 04-18-2019 11:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just so fll knows, from The Long Long Trailer movie clip that he posted here of Lucy and Desi climbing the mountains and everything being all over the floor when they stopped and went inside.

Long before we left Stoneham, my Dad retro fitted cabinet drawers and closet doors, refrigerator and such, so that while under way, rough roads and or climbing up to 6% grades in the mountains, that everything would remain secure, and Not all over the floor when we stopped.
AND, he even cleaned up any mess of drillings or whatever.

trfour 04-19-2019 12:54 PM

And, Could We Evah Sang

2 Attachment(s)
MUSIC LOVER'S ALL
Our Mom had an incredibly beautiful singing voice, and although none of us siblings could replicate it, we were all music lover's from Day One.
Aftah dinner singalongs were always a BLAST!! Brother Bob on guitar, and me on bass voice...

MUSIC BENIFITS.
There are now literally thousands of research papers showing the clinical evidence for the benefits of meditation and meditation music. It is a proven drug free technique for reducing stress, overcoming depression and even improving your brain function, memory and IQ.
Studies also found that music enhances the effects of meditation and science has pushed the development of sound technology to develop the best meditation music to benefit the brain and human consciousness.
According to experts, listening to music while meditating is good for both your body and soul. It refreshes you from within and rejuvenates your mind. There are different kinds of music you could listen to while meditating.
If there is any kind of music today that you shouldn’t miss out on, it is instrumental music. This type consists of classical guitars, violins, chimes, table, guitar, harp, etc. The tunes are always melodious and beautiful. There is a wide range of choices you could pick from when it comes to instrumental music. Simply visit a CD shop or purchase online.

DRH 04-19-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 309772)
You are so very welcome Island Girl. And I thank you for all of your wonderful Pictures out here. I found out that time doesn't stand still for any of us, so we all qualify to that "journey through time".
Oh, and you rid me of CRS as I recall that wonderful Hug you gave me at Waldo Pepper's. Way back when... Love and miss you, Terry

I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!

Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don

ApS 04-19-2019 06:42 PM

"Hold My Beer"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 309902)
MUSIC LOVER'S ALL
Our Mom had an incredibly beautiful singing voice, and although none of us siblings could replicate it, we were all music lover's from Day One.
Aftah dinner singalongs were always a BLAST!! Brother Bob on guitar, and me on bass voice...
MUSIC BENEFITS.
There are now literally thousands of research papers showing the clinical evidence for the benefits of meditation and meditation music. It is a proven drug free technique for reducing stress, overcoming depression and even improving your brain function, memory and IQ.
Studies also found that music enhances the effects of meditation and science has pushed the development of sound technology to develop the best meditation music to benefit the brain and human consciousness.
According to experts, listening to music while meditating is good for both your body and soul. It refreshes you from within and rejuvenates your mind. There are different kinds of music you could listen to while meditating.
If there is any kind of music today that you shouldn’t miss out on, it is instrumental music. This type consists of classical guitars, violins, chimes, table, guitar, harp, etc. The tunes are always melodious and beautiful. There is a wide range of choices you could pick from when it comes to instrumental music. Simply visit a CD shop or purchase online.

Yesterday, I received an email with a similar emphasis—but has to do with a doctor and his fixation on gardens for refreshing one's soul:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/o...s-gardens.html

As for music, I like to start my day with composer Thomas Bergersen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTghUgMOeY

Comment at YouTube:
" It's impossible to blend Celtic music, pirate music, and rock. Nobody can do it."

Thomas Bergersen : "Hold my beer ."

trfour 04-20-2019 01:09 AM

Amazing Grace

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRH (Post 309909)
Your photo presentation of your trip is absolutely wonderful! You have made the trip come alive for many of us. Many thanks for sharing your memories!

Don

Hi Don,
Now I get to Thank You for all of your wonderful photo's, memories and story's that you have shared with all of us over these many years here as well!
Thank you Don, and say Hi to Peg for me.
Love,
Terry

trfour 04-20-2019 05:27 AM

Oh and

1 Attachment(s)
All of the sophisticated and luxurious front lawn furniture that came with the Magic Carpet.

joey2665 04-20-2019 06:08 AM

I can’t get enough of these pictures. Thank you again so much for sharing, your parents seem to be very special and talented people and how lucky you were that they took you on the awesome adventure. [emoji4]❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

trfour 04-20-2019 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309927)
I can’t get enough of these pictures. Thank you again so much for sharing, your parents seem to be very special and talented people and how lucky you were that they took you on the awesome adventure. [emoji4]❤️

A Typical Phrase from friend's, "To Know Them Is To Love Them", and no such thing as luck Joey, they were Tried and True Blessings.

joey2665 04-20-2019 11:06 AM

Well said. Have a happy Easter [emoji214][emoji195]

trfour 04-20-2019 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many Summits along the way, and at the time the Magic Carpet was the largest house trailer to cross over the Rocky Mountains.

tis 04-20-2019 11:21 AM

Since there were nine of you, you must have ridden in the Magic Carpet, right? Did it sway a lot? Was anybody car sick?

trfour 04-20-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309946)
Well said. Have a happy Easter [emoji214][emoji195]

You too Joey, I'll be celebrating Easter at Sister Doña's on Sunday.

trfour 04-20-2019 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 309950)
Since there were nine of you, you must have ridden in the Magic Carpet, right? Did it sway a lot? Was anybody car sick?

Actually Tis, the two Buicks were really comfortable and there was a few occasions when someone would ride inside the Magic Carpet with no problems, and with the air over hydraulic tongue dolly the trailer had a very stable ride as well.
Picture, better view of tongue dolly.

PS, I'll be getting to the Magic Carpet being loaded onto a flatbed trailer later on in the story, so Y'all ( some O that Texas blood rubbing off that I got during my operation ) stay tuned... :-)

tis 04-20-2019 12:01 PM

Oh you had two cars? Guess I missed that.

trfour 04-20-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 309955)
Oh you had two cars? Guess I missed that.

Yes Tis, my older Brother Fred drove the 1948 Buick Roadmaster towing the luggage trailer.

trfour 04-20-2019 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting Close To The West Coast.

trfour 04-20-2019 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SOMEHOW, that bought used luggage trailer upon readying for the trip, slid under the radar with a bent axel-right side, and we had some 26 flats to contend with during our journey West.

me on right, practicing The California Bop...:)

moose tracks 04-20-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 309954)
PS, I'll be getting to the Magic Carpet being loaded onto a flatbed trailer later on in the story, so Y'all ( some O that Texas blood rubbing off that I got during my operation ) stay tuned... :-)

Come On Trfour, you can't leave us like that! Can't wait for next episode.

trfour 04-20-2019 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by moose tracks (Post 309966)
Come On Trfour, you can't leave us like that! Can't wait for next episode.

Hey, that's Terry to you Moose. :) I had to mow two huge lawns today, and because Mom and Dad taught me how to fix things, in Retirement I'm busier than ever when I worked full time. you know, pool circulation pumps, electrical work ect ect. My Dad still has 3 US Patents of his Genius.

Brother's Fred and Brynn sprucing up the Flatstah, luggage trailer back in Stoneham. :)

Merrymeeting 04-21-2019 08:48 AM

Now I know how your parents did it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 309776)
The othah golden rule = " Stay Out The Kitchen" before meals!!!!
:)
Aftah meals, your All on KP duty!!!!

Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!

The Real BigGuy 04-21-2019 10:14 AM

Wine glass or tip jar[emoji16]

trfour 04-21-2019 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 310017)
Look at the size of that wine glass! ;-) (See 2nd picture in reply #81)

Thanks for including us all in your wonderful story!

I couldn't have done it without Y'all, Merrymeeting. I looked for the wine bottle for that there wine glass, couldn't find it, but I did find a can O beer... :)

trfour 04-21-2019 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They don't make whitewall tires like they usetah…

trfour 04-21-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRH (Post 309909)
I remember meeting you that time at Waldo Pepper's too, Terry! There were a number of forum "regulars" there and we all had the pleasure of meeting you. It was a good time. I sure miss the old Waldo Pepper's at the Weirs!
Don

Waldo Pepper's were right on my doorstep when I lived at the Camp on Paugus Bay, they always kept me from dieting, cause the food was so awesome, just like the Owner's, Wonderful Folk's, and it really made my day when I stopped to get a couple Lobstah rolls to go and got to meet you wonderful Folk's too Don!!

trfour 04-21-2019 11:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My Dad made replica models of the two Buicks, the Flatstah luggage trailer and the Magic carpet and Mom upholstered the furniture, out of balsa wood. Partly because even though The Magic Carpet was 8' x 46' , there were people that wondered how a family of 11 could sleep in it. So the model had a plexie glass top so the floor plan and sleeping areas were viewable.

Pic#1 Boys rear bunk room, Shower bathroom and double bunk beds

Pic#2 Storage and bedrooms

Pic#3. Double bunks

Pic#4. Kitchen and living area

trfour 04-22-2019 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, this model trailer actually has many more miles on it than The Real Magic Carpet did, as it has been shipped back and fourth across the Country several times to different Siblings homes, as well as the Big Photo album Life gave us...

Pic#5. Front living area.

trfour 04-22-2019 01:20 PM

Security Rest Stop +

2 Attachment(s)
Aftah a rest stop, we crossed ovah the California state line and us siblings performed an all out California Gold Rush! Nevah found even an old gold watch, so my guess was that someone mustah beat us to it... :)
And, Not A Resume Photo.

trfour 04-22-2019 07:37 PM

Gypsy Spirit??

2 Attachment(s)
Another reason for our journey to California was that Mom had three Sister's that lived there, so six more Aunt's and Uncle's for us to spend some time with.

Pic#2. Aunt Sarah, Zbra and Brother's Fred and Bob.

trfour 04-22-2019 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our 4,376 mile and 34 day trek across the country ended on the evening of July 6, 1952 when we pulled into the Airport Trailer Village in Westchester, CA, a suburb west of Los Angeles. There was a warm welcome party at Aunt Betty and Uncle Mark's house in Westchester. We were there only a week and moved to Artesia, southeast of Los Angeles.

Side Note; There was a Take Out Restaurant at the Airport Trailer Village that had THE BEST fried Jumbo shrimp On This Planet!!
Pic#1. . Hey Man, Don't be Shoot'in the Breeze over here, Get Us Off'in The Highway!!!!

trfour 04-22-2019 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Palms Galore... Getty Images bought the rights to Life Magazine, they also got many of the photos that Life took of our journey west on undeveloped film. I registered at their website and they gave me some that they had since developed. This is one of them.
Life's guesstimate of all of the photos they took was HUGE, many more than they gave us in the photo album after the story in the magazine was published.

Barney Bear 04-23-2019 05:56 AM

Westward Ho!

Trfour - thanks four your wonderful story of your trip west. How many states of the then 48 states did you visit on this great adventure? In 1947, our family of five took a long trip to the west coast in an Oldsmobile sedan. Our most expensive overnight stay was in Carson City, Nevada [$19.00]. 🐻

trfour 04-23-2019 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 310146)
Trfour - thanks four your wonderful story of your trip west. How many states of the then 48 states did you visit on this great adventure? In 1947, our family of five took a long trip to the west coast in an Oldsmobile sedan. Our most expensive overnight stay was in Carson City, Nevada [$19.00]. ��

Awesome Barney!!

Here they are, Oh and I wrote them down and put them in a safe place, so it took me a Loooong time to find them. :)
From Stoneham MA. south to, RI. CT. NY. NJ. DE. MD. DC. PA. OH. IN. IL. IA. WI. MN. SD. WY. UT. NV. CA.
PS, I don't want to hurt myself Barney, so you do the math...
Funny, the only two States that I haven't gotten to visit yet, [ my loss ] is [ How'areya and Alaska! ] How are ya?
Also, we needed a biggah cah wash...