Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Winnipesaukee River Canal (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25212)

TiltonBB 12-05-2019 06:58 AM

Winnipesaukee River Canal

An interesting idea. A man is proposing a canal to connect Winnipesaukee to Winnisquam by way of the Winnipesaukee River. It will used locks to adjust for the 20 foot difference in water levels.

I am not sure those who have chosen the quieter lakes would welcome the additional boat traffic. Although it may enhance property values on the smaller lakes by providing additional boating destinations.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3030d912e.html

SAMIAM 12-05-2019 07:17 AM

Just thinking of the possibilities if downtown Laconia were opened up to Winnipesaukee boat traffic.

Biggd 12-05-2019 07:32 AM

It's a great idea but I don't see where the money would come from. It would be a very expensive project.

The Real BigGuy 12-05-2019 07:38 AM

I like the idea! (I can also hear the screams of “NO WAKE” all the way down the river 🤪)

We have cruised the Songo River (between Sabago & Long Lakes) to visit bars and restaurants in Naples, Me with friends. Going tru the lock in between is a treat and adventure for all aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 12-05-2019 07:48 AM

Winnipesaukee River Canal

I think this is an extremely ambitious idea and the obstacles would be tremendous. Not just the city and property owners but also what would be the DES take and the cost would be huge.

That being said I love the idea but I do not think it is realistic.

rsmlp 12-05-2019 07:57 AM

canal

If today were April 1 this post would make more sense...

AC2717 12-05-2019 08:44 AM

I, for one, Love the idea and would rather them spend the money and time to make this a reality.

Water Camper 12-05-2019 08:51 AM

Winni River

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 323579)

We have cruised the Songo River (between Sabago & Long Lakes) to visit bars and restaurants in Naples, Me with friends. Going tru the lock in between is a treat and adventure for all aboard.

I too have traveled the Songo River in Maine many times. Great time, I would welcome a similar opportunity here in NH.

Thanks,
Bill

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2019 09:37 AM

150 years ago would have been the time to accomplish this task. Today, just a thought. Can’t even begin thinking about the legislation and tasks that would be required before the first shovel hits the dirt. Also, what the hell would boaters from the big lake want with the smaller two?

Susie Cougar 12-05-2019 09:46 AM

Winnipesaukee River canal

I love this idea! My first thought was to the San Antonio Riverwalk. But this is the not the right comparison. Although, just imagine.

There is the Lewes and Rehoboth Canal in Delaware which connects the two towns. Property values have gone up, restaurants line the canal, and tourists love it.
What a boost for the Lakes region!

chris410 12-05-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 323588)
150 years ago would have been the time to accomplish this task. Today, just a thought. Can’t even begin thinking about the legislation and tasks that would be required before the first shovel hits the dirt. Also, what the hell would boaters from the big lake want with the smaller two?

I agree its going to be nearly impossible this day in age, but to answer your second question, possibly more destinations to explore? It would certainly increase property values on the other two lakes and provide a boost to Laconia if they could fit a fair amount of docking along the river.

fatlazyless 12-05-2019 10:14 AM

Parallel to this proposed re-construction of the one mile long, dammed Winnipesaukee River into a waterway lock system, there already is a walking/bicycling trail that goes from the Elm St bridge and Lakeport Dam down along the Winnipesaukee River to Lake Winnisquam and further south.

This is the www.wowtrail.org ..... this section is built and open to walkers/pedalers ..... you can pedal it today on a mountain bike, rolling along through about 1" of snow ..... or walk it with waterproof shoes.

People already have the access to the one mile long Winnipesaukee River via the state Fish & Game free public boat launch in Laconia for motor or paddle boats, or via the Wow Trail for walking or bicycling.

WinnisquamZ 12-05-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris410 (Post 323593)
I agree its going to be nearly impossible this day in age, but to answer your second question, possibly more destinations to explore? It would certainly increase property values on the other two lakes and provide a boost to Laconia if they could fit a fair amount of docking along the river.

My guess is you never boated on The other two. There is no where to go. You can raft!

iw8surf 12-05-2019 01:24 PM

Please don't ruin the other 2 lakes by doing this. We don't want Winni's boat traffic, rude boaters or ineffective rules on these other two lakes.

Cal Coon 12-05-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 323578)
It's a great idea but I don't see where the money would come from. It would be a very expensive project.

Keep a sharp eye on your boat registration fees... You know that's where it will start, then when they realize they "underestimated" the costs, they will come to the taxpayer's to "bail them out", and the taxes needed to finish the project, will never be rescinded once the project is completed. Isn't that how things usually work? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the project, I think it would be cool, but yes, it will be very expensive, and most likely will be a great opportunity for some corrupt people to line their pockets at our expense...

fatlazyless 12-05-2019 01:40 PM

Just forget about a Winnipesaukee River lock system for that one mile length of river that travels up close through Laconia, past the large storage field of Fords and Toyota's at Irwin's, over two dams, and under a number of low roadways ..... is not too likely to ever be happening.

The Winnipesaukee River is the one sole outflow for all the lake water when the lake level raises up due to a heavy rain so building a lock system would be another hurdle working against the water outflow.

But, as of today, like right now, a stand up paddle board that's light enough to pick up and carry around the one or two dams, depending where you start, could be perfect for traveling down this river. Plus, when you arrive to the very large Lake Winnisquam, just to the left is Laconia's Bartlett public beach area with a sandy beach.

With a stand up paddle board you can do the Winnipesaukee River ...... with a motorboat, you got two dams and about five low overhead road bridges .... so, what do you think.

There's an excellent kayak or sup put-in spot, a kayak launch, directly across from Sawyer's Jewelry that is just below the second dam, the Avery Dam.

8gv 12-05-2019 03:28 PM

I propose the construction of a full size replica of the Egyptian pyramids to be located in Lakeport.

Can we get a cost/benefit study commissioned for that?

;)

tbonies 12-05-2019 06:41 PM

This post is already tired. Consensus can't even be reached on a silly bike trail. What makes anyone think local leaders could handle something with the complexity of a water version of the Big Dig?

Lakes Region Guy 12-05-2019 08:11 PM

I think it is an interesting concept but let's not forget about the environment impacts. We a a big enough problem now with milfoil and other invasive species on our lakes. This canal would allow the transfer of thes invasive species much quicker thus potential reducing the water quality to all of he lakes.

upthesaukee 12-05-2019 11:12 PM

State funding

All water in the state essentially is state owned. The money for such a project will come from the State coffers.

1. There will need to be many studies at State costs.

2. There will be inevitable legislation that will be filed, voted upon, perhaps approved, perhaps not, and then the difficult chore to establish funding.

3. Then if it all gets approved and funding located, the actual construction will take so long that unless you have been able to vote for less than 10 years, it is highly unlikely you will see the project reach completion.

Dave

8gv 12-05-2019 11:25 PM

So it's settled then, we go with the pyramids.

Biggd 12-06-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 323625)
All water in the state essentially is state owned. The money for such a project will come from the State coffers.

1. There will need to be many studies at State costs.

2. There will be inevitable legislation that will be filed, voted upon, perhaps approved, perhaps not, and then the difficult chore to establish funding.

3. Then if it all gets approved and funding located, the actual construction will take so long that unless you have been able to vote for less than 10 years, it is highly unlikely you will see the project reach completion.

Dave

Just the studies alone would cost millions and take at least 10
years. Big dreams! :rolleye1: It's a wonderful dream but it will never happen.

sunsationdave 12-06-2019 07:30 AM

canal

Lets just get the light house done at the witches first LOL