Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Boat Owner (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3570)

rmorse27 07-14-2006 08:19 PM

New Boat Owner

Well my wife and I just pulled the trigger on buying are first boat.We boat a 2004 GLASTRON 19ft. runabout with only 43 hours on engine. I am hoping to get a lot of information here about boating seeing im a newbie.I got my temp Certificate today passing the test with 91%. Would like to get some ideas of renting a boat slip for next year and prices.

Kevin C 07-14-2006 08:25 PM

Welcome to the Lake. You'll quickly find that it's a whole new world when you are out on Winnipesaukee. It's truly magnificent!

For starters on some privately owned slips start here. Good luck!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/classifieds/index.html

camp guy 07-14-2006 08:31 PM

New Boat Owner - slip rental

Forgetting all about money (which is hard to do), there are certain considerations to take into account when looking for a slip. I no particular order, think about proximity to where you will be staying when you are up at the Lake, think about where you plan to do the majority of your boating, think about the availability of gas and repair service, travel around the Lake this summer looking at places and trying to answer these questions. And, as usual, keep your eye on this site because you will get a lot of answers and suggestions. This site is great for providing boating information. Best of luck to you, and congratulations, welcome to the boating fraternity.

jbess 07-15-2006 04:28 AM

Welcome

Hi rmorse, congrats on your purchase! My wife and I also bought our first boat this year, a 02 Glaston 185, We love it!

We too, are exploring the options available. But in the mean time, We use Ames Farm Inn to launch from. They have two ramps to launch from with plenty of parking and room to manuver. They are located on Rt11 in Gilford about 1 1/2 mile past Ellacoya state park if coming from Laconia direction.

I have gleaned much from this site, so have a look at the many diff. subjects talked about here. Here is one I started about Slips/Valet services...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3545

Good luck& be safe, Joe

rmorse27 07-15-2006 04:52 AM

Ames Farm Inn

We passed that place several times last week while we stayed over in Tutonboro and I like the sound of it $20 and plenty of parking.I bought my boat at Fays boat place down the street from Ames.They want $20 in and $20 out,so it looks like we will use Ames.My wife are heading back up to the lake Labor Day week over in Paugus Bay area.We rented a house with dock space for $650 for the week.

Dave R 07-15-2006 06:23 PM

Congrats! Have fun in Paugus (what I assume you meant by Pegasus, which is a better name, IMO) Bay. With a boat that size, You'll do far better to keep it on a trailer since it'll be easy to launch and retrieve. They stay so much cleaner on a trailer. Trailer kept boats show much better for resale too and if you find you like boating, getting a bigger boat will be an almost instant desire once you spend some time on the lake. 4 more feet of boat can turn a tiring, stressful day into a pleasure cruise on Winni.

rmorse27 07-16-2006 06:31 AM

Paugus(oopsy)

Thanks Dave,sorry about the spelling.The house we rented comes with its own boat slip across the street.Yes you are correct I alread saw a 26 foot boat thats was only another $1k more than mine and got a woody.

Good N' You? 07-16-2006 06:47 PM

RMorse, if you are going to Paugus, you should launch your boat at Lakeport Landing. I think they only charge $15 bucks and they also have the cheapest gas on the lake. Around $2.05/gallon!!!! From there, its only a short 5 minute no wake zone to Paugus Bay.
As for trailering your boat, I would vote against it. And here is why, If you spend a full day in your boat, you get pretty tired. Even if your just lounging around. Having to deal with the crowded boat launch and already being tired is not a way I want to spend my 4+ months of boating. I would go with a dry berth. No wear on your boat, they pick it up with a fork lift and tuck it nicely away till your ready next time. It is expensive, but way less than having a slip and again, there is no wear and tear on your boat.
Just my opinion.
Good luck,
Brian

jrc 07-16-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorse27
....saw a 26 foot boat thats was only another $1k more than mine and got a woody.

You bought a woody (classic wooden lake boat) for $1000 more than your boat, that's a steal. What else could you mean. :rolleye2:

Read the thread jbess started on rack/valet storage versus slip storage. Rack storage can be an alternative to trailering.

Skipper of the Sea Que 07-16-2006 07:29 PM

Cheap gas - but that inexpensive ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good N' You?
RMorse, if you are going to Paugus, you should launch your boat at Lakeport Landing. I think they only charge $15 bucks and they also have the cheapest gas on the lake. Around $2.05/gallon!!!! From there, its only a short 5 minute no wake zone to Paugus Bay. Brian

Around $2.05/gallon!!! That's a super low price. Alas, I assume you really meant $3.05/gallon!!! Which is still a good price.

At $2.05 I'd be there tomorrow to fill up my van, boat, lawn mower, snow blower and all my spare 5 gallon gas cans :laugh:

Lakeport Landing usually does have the lowest gas prices on the Lake. I don't recall if it's 89 octane but I recall one Marina somewhere on the Lake was selling 87 while all others had 89.

Have a great time enjoying the Lake.

Sunset Bob 07-16-2006 07:58 PM

Slip rental

Try Parker Marine in Alton for a slip most times no problem with the bridge clearance wise with that size boat.Also one of the less expensive on the lake. Good people to deal with.

searay220 07-17-2006 09:21 AM

In my opinion Parker Marine is not the very good place to put your boat to put it nicely.The people there are difficult to deal with and hold on to your wallet if you ever need service and get a wriiten quote first. This in addition to most of the boats at the mariner could not get under the bridge until the very end of June. That makes for a very short boating season.Again this is just my opinion and more of a FYI.

dpg 07-17-2006 10:54 AM

Don't forget to make sure the plug's in the boat before launching.:eek: Don't ask...:D

LIforrelaxin 07-17-2006 11:27 AM

Oopsss

DPG do I detect a big OOPSSSS.......That darn drain plug......well I can remember many moons ago we forgot that in our old boat....on the flip side after the experience we always felt better knowing the boat could take on a lot of water and still float amazing well...........

B R 07-17-2006 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
Around $2.05/gallon!!! Lakeport Landing usually does have the lowest gas prices on the Lake. I don't recall if it's 89 octane but I recall one Marina somewhere on the Lake was selling 87 while all others had 89.

I buy there all the time (too much) and it is 89 octane.

rmorse27 07-17-2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good N' You?
RMorse, if you are going to Paugus, you should launch your boat at Lakeport Landing. I think they only charge $15 bucks and they also have the cheapest gas on the lake. Around $2.05/gallon!!!! From there, its only a short 5 minute no wake zone to Paugus Bay.
As for trailering your boat, I would vote against it. And here is why, If you spend a full day in your boat, you get pretty tired. Even if your just lounging around. Having to deal with the crowded boat launch and already being tired is not a way I want to spend my 4+ months of boating. I would go with a dry berth. No wear on your boat, they pick it up with a fork lift and tuck it nicely away till your ready next time. It is expensive, but way less than having a slip and again, there is no wear and tear on your boat.
Just my opinion.
Good luck,
Brian

We have a Dock space at the house we are renting for Labor Day week.

Mee-n-Mac 07-17-2006 08:21 PM

Where do you want to be

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmorse27
We have a Dock space at the house we are renting for Labor Day week.

You've no doubt already read the pro's and con's to valet/trailering/slip rental. Before I'd advise which is for you, I'd really have to ask where on the lake do you want to be and then figure out what option fit's that location. Some people want to have little boat traffic and like the Moltonborough end of the lake for that reason. A slip or valet service in Paugus Bay isn't going to fit their desires very well. Other's may like going to & from the lake's hotspots and having a short distance to the shops in Meredith or Weir's activities. For them something in Paugus Bay might work best. I guess I'm saying first figure out where you'd like "home base" to be and then figure out what's convient for that location (reiterating what camp guy said earlier).

Also how often do you plan to be at the lake ? I see you're renting for a week but are you thinking of renting for weekends (or perhaps for a season) or doing daytrips or eventually buying a place ? How far/long a drive is it for you to get to the lake ? Renting a seasonal slip doesn't make much sense if you're up only for 2 weeks a year and trailering can be a hassle if you're doing a 300 mile trip every weekend. Nothing kills enjoying your new boat than all of the hassles (and expenses) that come with getting to & from the water. Pick the option that minimizes what irks you and maximizes what you like, and not just about boating, but rather you entire lake lifestyle. I'd think more about this than resale value and/or wear and tear. The latter may be important but enjoy your time here first. :coolsm: