Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need to return TREX boards (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24863)

Sue Doe-Nym 08-10-2019 10:06 AM

Need to return TREX boards

We have 6 or 7 16’ unused Trex boards from our newly renovated deck, and would like to return them to Lowe’s in Gilford. They are too long for Explorer roof rack and interior of same. Looking for some ideas from this website’s brilliant followers. Thanks in advance. 🙄

thinkxingu 08-10-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 317241)
We have 6 or 7 16’ unused Trex boards from our newly renovated deck, and would like to return them to Lowe’s in Gilford. They are too long for Explorer roof rack and interior of same. Looking for some ideas from this website’s brilliant followers. Thanks in advance. [emoji849]

My first two thoughts: a friend with a trailer or rent a truck. The former would obviously be easier and cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

steve-on-mark 08-10-2019 10:26 AM

Do you have a boat in the water leaving a boat trailer available? Done that many times!
Quote:

We have 6 or 7 16’ unused Trex boards from our newly renovated deck, and would like to return them to Lowe’s in Gilford. They are too long for Explorer roof rack and interior of same. Looking for some ideas from this website’s brilliant followers. Thanks in advance. [emoji849]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Stilljester 08-10-2019 10:41 AM

Why not just run them all the up between the seats and out the back? If flexibility is the issue put a ratchet strap around the bunch anchored of the floor tie-offs. Pull and bungy cord the tailgate down and you should be good to go. (Bonus points for a red flag on the end)

Mr. V 08-10-2019 10:52 AM

Put an old blanket or two across the roof of the vehicle to prevent scratches, then place the pieces length-wise along the roof and tie them down securely at the front and back via ropes tied to the front and rear bumpers, leaving an equal amount of excess board length hanging out both front and back.

Not ideal, but it should work.

thinkxingu 08-10-2019 10:53 AM

Also, if you have a hitch, someone might have one of those football goal post things that would work.

Sue Doe-Nym 08-10-2019 12:30 PM

Trex return

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Best would probably be the boat trailer, but ours is a monster. Maybe we can borrow a smaller one. Also, we are curious....what is the goal post thing, used with a trailer hitch? Thanks again, all.

steve-on-mark 08-10-2019 01:04 PM

Wouldn't work for you...its a t shaped rack that plugs into your receiver...good for pick up trucks, but not for SUVs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym (Post 317253)
Thanks for all the useful suggestions. Best would probably be the boat trailer, but ours is a monster. Maybe we can borrow a smaller one. Also, we are curious....what is the goal post thing, used with a trailer hitch? Thanks again, all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ApS 08-10-2019 01:20 PM

Marketplace...

Quote:

We have 6 or 7 16’ unused Trex boards from our newly renovated deck, and would like to return them to Lowe’s in Gilford. They are too long for Explorer roof rack and interior of same. Looking for some ideas from this website’s brilliant followers. Thanks in advance. 🙄

$ell them here on the Marketplace forum—$ave trips to Lowes and back on a busy weekend. (For buyer and seller).

thinkxingu 08-10-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 317255)
$ell them here on the Marketplace forum—$ave trips to Lowes and back on a busy weekend. (For buyer and seller).

I was actually thinking that and measuring my deck in my head...

Biggd 08-10-2019 02:23 PM

What color are they?

Sue Doe-Nym 08-10-2019 03:31 PM

Trex

They are pebble gray, very neutral, easy on the eyes and bare feet. Deck is 40 x 16, so contractor had very little extra, considering. I can take picture so you can get color, if interested.

fatlazyless 08-10-2019 03:59 PM

Lowe's in Gilford has Trex pebble gray composite deck boards, 5.5"x16'x0.82" thick ....... for the unbelievably low, low, low price of just $46.93 each ... highest Trex quality ..... low Lowe's price

Hey Biggd ....... offer her $40-each and you get yourself a super steal of a deal!!!

Sue Doe-Nym 08-10-2019 04:16 PM

Trex

Actual count of Trex Select pebble gray is 7 16’ boards. We paid $47.57 each plus $65 delivery. If interested, make offer. We can return for full credit, but happy to make reasonable deal. I am thrilled with this new deck!

Biggd 08-11-2019 08:47 AM

I thought I could use them on my front porch but it measures out at 8'6". There would be too much waste.

brk-lnt 08-12-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 317285)
I thought I could use them on my front porch but it measures out at 8'6". There would be too much waste.

Do a "picture frame" layout, where you have boards around the perimeter that form the frame, and then deck the center with what would now be just under 8' pieces.

You'll likely need to add a bit of extra framing if you didn't originally lay things out for this format, but that should be minimal work on a small porch.