Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Wild birds at our bird feeders (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22856)

upthesaukee 12-12-2017 05:39 PM

Wild birds at our bird feeders

Early this past summer, we noticed an unusual decline in the number and species of birds at our feeders, and this decline continued into August when we had a bear visit our yard.

We pulled the feeders in for a few weeks, and then strung them high up between two trees, using a pulley system to lower the feeders down for filling, and then raise them up again out of harm's way. Worked good as far as the bear was concerned; he did come back once and looked around at the feeders and then left. Good news!

Bad news was the birds did not return. We could hear them and see them close by in the woods, but seldom would one venture to the feeders.

About a month ago we moved the feders out to our front yard, and again, few if any would come to the feeders. I did read we were not alone, with speculation that there was an abundance of natural food available to them. I could only hope that snow cover would help entice the birds to return to the feeders.

Today, we had juncos, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, a pair of cardinals, and a few others I was not sure of. Not only did I enjoy watching, but so did our cat.

Soooooo, I guess they're back! 👍

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 12-12-2017 06:34 PM

I Noticed, during 2” per hour snow today, a pair of cardinals in my birch tree above the empty feeder...I guess that’s a sign that (given the bears should be denning now) I should buy a bag of bird seed for them!

Barney Bear 12-12-2017 06:39 PM

Come and Get It!

Plenty of wild birds, turkeys, and sguirrels at our feeders here in southern NH. 🦃 🐿 🕊

Slickcraft 12-12-2017 07:19 PM

Still waiting for customers here on the hill is West Alton. Feeders went up 3 weeks ago and only a few chickadee and junco sightings. Only a few seeds gone so far. I assume a very good year for natural food. In past years we would have refilled the feeders a few times by now. Maybe they will stop by when the temp drop in the next few days.

smith point boater 12-13-2017 07:27 AM

Birds

We're in W. Alton also. Lots of birds have come back in the last week or so. Prior to yesterday I hadn't had to refill the feeders for weeks. I looked out yesterday and they were all empty. Snow covered ground probably helped too

JerseyGuy 12-13-2017 08:49 PM

On our bird feeder at our NJ residence we almost always have a great deal of activity in the winter months. Every so often they all will disappear. We figured it out last winter when we watched a cooper's hawk eating a bird in a nearby tree. So when the hawk is watching the feeder, the smart ones stay away.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Greene's Basin Girl 12-27-2017 02:44 AM

The birds are back and they sure are hungry!

Rob M 12-31-2017 08:48 AM

Smart bears

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 288672)

We pulled the feeders in for a few weeks, and then strung them high up between two trees, using a pulley system to lower the feeders down for filling, and then raise them up again out of harm's way. Worked good as far as the bear was concerned; he did come back once and looked around at the feeders and then left. Good news!

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I would suggest continuing to bring in the feeders in the spring and fall, I used to string my feeders the same way about 18ft up between two large oaks. A sow with two cubs showed up, sniffed around for a minute climbed the tree, chewed through the rope, and destroyed three large feeders. The only way to keep the bears off the feeders is to keep the feeders in.

dpg 01-09-2018 12:07 PM

Feed them in Ma. tons every day. This winter I've noticed a lot of Blue Jays it's nothing to see 4 or 5 at the feeder at once. Also always had a few Cardinals and their back. Bunch of the little "finch" type birds I don't know them by name. The squirrels hate the Baffle I bought to keep them away. I use a pretty big plastic feeder and they were capable of emptying it daily...I actually wouldn't mind if they hit it for a snack and left but they eat and eat and eat! Now they settle for the droppings. :eek:

Slickcraft 01-09-2018 05:08 PM

All the usual birds are back up here on the hill in West Alton with one big exception: The chickadees are a total no show! We normally have a substantial group here cleaning out the feeders. This winter I have only seen two! Lots of juncos and finches and jays etc but no chickadees.

Must be much better eating down around Smith Point. I'll have to see if we got black listed on Yelp.

smith point boater 01-10-2018 07:29 AM

Smith Point

Not a lot of chickadees here either. But have just had the turkeys arrive again!! 3 of them that sit under the feeder and eat the scraps that have dropped. They are ugly!!

daveschappell 01-10-2018 09:23 AM

We bought a new feeder at Bradley's Hardware about a week ago. Put it out and had no birds for first 3 days. But it's exploded in last few days. Looking out at a Cardinal now, and we've seen Blue Jays, Juncos, Chickadees, Tufted Titmouses, Woodpeckers and many more. It's just been awesome. And we set it up so we can see it from bed, while enjoying morning coffee -- ahh :-)

Spider Girl 01-10-2018 12:25 PM

Birds at Feeder

Seems to be a banner year for Juncos. A few Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers, Titmice, Purple Finches. One or two Mourning Doves. One lone female Cardinal. An occasional Blue Jay. All in all, seems to be a quieter bird year judging from feeder fill frequency.