Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boat Repairs & Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Winterizing a Fuel Injected Engine (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22359)

greeleyhill 07-29-2017 08:14 PM

Winterizing a Fuel Injected Engine

Super novice question for most of you I'm sure but I was wondering if an engine with Fuel Injection needs to be fogged in the winterizing process. My Marina charged me for that last year and it's been nagging at me ever since. I think it was maybe a $15 charge but do I need that for my Volvo Penta engine?

jeffk 07-30-2017 06:14 AM

Also a novice but the fogging oil is for the cylinders, pistons, rings to prevent corrosion since oil over long periods of storage drains off these parts and allows corrosion to occur. Fogging oil clings to parts for long term anti corrosion protection.

So unless your fuel injected boat has no cylinders, pistons, rings :D the fogging oil is a good idea??

greeleyhill 07-30-2017 06:42 PM

I thought fogger was sprayed directly onto/into the carburetor...would i have have an accessible carburetor in a fuel injected engine?

jeffk 07-30-2017 09:49 PM

Do NOT spray into an air intake.

Apparently you mix up a special "fogging" cocktail and run it as fuel by connecting the fuel line to the mixture. The critical thing is to do what YOUR manufacturer tells you to do. Again, I am a novice as well.

Dave R 07-31-2017 09:33 AM

My fuel injected engine has a little port downstream of the MAF sensor and the throttle body. I remove the threaded plug that's in the hole and replace it with a tapered birch dowel that has a hole drilled down the center of it. I insert the plastic straw from the can of fogging oil through the center hole in the dowel and use the dowel depth to set the engine speed (it acts like a throttle in this situation) while I spray fogging oil. It works very well.

New Hampshire Lake Man 07-31-2017 12:03 PM

Forum Foul!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeleyhill (Post 282807)
Super novice question for most of you I'm sure but I was wondering if an engine with Fuel Injection needs to be fogged in the winterizing process. My Marina charged me for that last year and it's been nagging at me ever since. I think it was maybe a $15 charge but do I need that for my Volvo Penta engine?

Foul! It's still July, talk of winterizing engines is not permitted under the rules until Labor Day at the earliest, preferably October 1. There's still a solid two months of boating still to go, please don't make me think of putting the boat away yet! But regardless, good luck! :)

Rattletrap 07-31-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man (Post 282884)
Foul! It's still July, talk of winterizing engines is not permitted under the rules until Labor Day at the earliest, preferably October 1. There's still a solid two months of boating still to go, please don't make me think of putting the boat away yet! But regardless, good luck! :)

Rattletrap likes this !!!!