Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   History (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Beautiful old photographs of the lake (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19948)

Diver1111 10-14-2015 07:35 PM

Beautiful old photographs of the lake

25 Attachment(s)
I was doing research in the Library of Congress website on Winnipesaukee and came across a slew of great images, attached. The clarity is impressive.

If you look closely often in the lower left corner there is often a description of what the image is about. These pictures are from all over the lake.

HellRaZoR004 10-14-2015 07:49 PM

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Any idea what bridge that is in the second photo? Water level looks very low with all the rocks.

pjard 10-14-2015 07:59 PM

Very interesting...I too wonder about that bridge. Could it be the Weirs?

Winopt 10-14-2015 10:34 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post these. It is hard to imagine how pristine the lake was in the early days. We are all fortunate to enjoy our beautiful playground.

BaileyBecca 10-15-2015 05:43 AM

Thank you for sharing these with us !

mcdude 10-15-2015 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 (Post 252904)
Any idea what bridge that is in the second photo? Water level looks very low with all the rocks.

That's the old Weirs Channel Bridge

#10 is the old Alton Bay Station before it burned

Just Sold 10-15-2015 07:46 AM

Great find. I am trying to figure out the loction of photo #16.

HellRaZoR004 10-15-2015 07:52 AM

If #2 is the Weirs Bridge then #16 is looking the same way while on the bridge.

minni on winni 10-15-2015 07:58 AM

Wonder where they relocated that beautiful veterans statue? Thanks for sharing !

Pineedles 10-15-2015 09:37 AM

Centre Harbor

Thank you for posting. I never knew there was a stone bridge leading out to a boat house in Centre Harbor. I'll have to check out photos looking up towards town that I have.

Merrymeeting 10-15-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winopt (Post 252909)
Thank you for taking the time to post these. It is hard to imagine how pristine the lake was in the early days. We are all fortunate to enjoy our beautiful playground.

Agree on the thanks, but perhaps not the pristine thought. Look at the smoke belching from the Mount and Lady in the pictures, a lot of the clear cutting in the backgrounds, etc. Some day take a look at the history billboards near Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Based on much of the history I've read, I would not be surprised to learn that the lake is now more pristine than it might have been during the times shown in these photos.

Onshore 10-16-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 252936)
Thank you for posting. I never knew there was a stone bridge leading out to a boat house in Centre Harbor. I'll have to check out photos looking up towards town that I have.

Look at aerial images (Google, Bing, or whatever else you prefer) of Half Mile Island and the island between Half Mile and shore.

Pineedles 10-16-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shore things (Post 252978)
Look at aerial images (Google, Bing, or whatever else you prefer) of Half Mile Island and the island between Half Mile and shore.

Yes, thanks shore things. I am aware of the stone bridge that leads from the shore to half mile as our cottage is directly across from 1/2 mile and I have visited that area for over 50 years. But, the bridge is leading to a boathouse in the picture. What happened to the island? Photoshopped the island out and the boathouse in?

Just Sold 10-16-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 252980)
Yes, thanks shore things. I am aware of the stone bridge that leads from the shore to half mile as our cottage is directly across from 1/2 mile and I have visited that area for over 50 years. But, the bridge is leading to a boathouse in the picture. What happened to the island? Photoshopped the ockout and the boathouse in?

Look at Google Maps of Center Harbor. Just behind the Canoe Restaurant I believe you will see the foundation of where the dock ("bridge") and boat house once stood under the water.

Pineedles 10-16-2015 08:45 AM

Thanks Just Sold. I can see something there that seems to be rectangular in shape. Google maps hasn't updated their maps in the northern part of the lake yet, so its hard to see on real close-views. But I think you are right. Wonder what happened to the boathouse? Might be an interesting shallow dive spot.

Airedale1 10-16-2015 09:09 AM

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing these.

Airedale1 10-16-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minni on winni (Post 252929)
Wonder where they relocated that beautiful veterans statue? Thanks for sharing !

The statue sure was beautiful. I wondered the same thing myself and a little searching on the web yielded the following:

"....the statue, which was dedicated in 1894 in honor of Laommi Bean, a Weirs Beach farmer who was killed in the Civil War. Today, the sign is long gone, and the statue was struck by lightning and destroyed in 1931."

Orion 10-16-2015 01:06 PM

statue destroyed

According to the History page on the NHVA:

1894 A beautiful civil War Soldier statue and water trough in honor of Laommi Bean of the 8th Regiment was erected at the base of New Hampshire Ave.

1931 A lightning strike destroyed the Civil War Soldier statue and water trough

Edit: oops, just saw the Airedale1 post after sending this.

mcdude 10-16-2015 05:49 PM

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...EIRSstatue.jpg.http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...nbusyweirs.jpg
more info on the fountain click here

garysanfran 10-16-2015 06:55 PM

I would hope the Lake is more pristine today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 252944)
Agree on the thanks, but perhaps not the pristine thought. Look at the smoke belching from the Mount and Lady in the pictures, a lot of the clear cutting in the backgrounds, etc. Some day take a look at the history billboards near Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Based on much of the history I've ready, I would not be surprised to learn that the lake is now more pristine than it might have been during the times shown in these photos.

We spent a lot of money improving the quality of the Lake. I hope it did some good. I believe there was an asbestos factory in Meredith that dumped the stuff into the bay, and it lies there today encapsulated in mud. We don't do that stuff anymore.

jetlag100 10-17-2015 04:59 PM

Those are great pictures! It makes me sort of wish I was around in those times...the huge Inn in Center Harbor was just amazing! I sure wish these old places were still around...Just seeing everyone getting ready to off load at Bear Island is quite a sight, too! I can just imagine the thrill of knowing that your journey had finally come to fruition...Ah, the slower, laid back days...

jbolty 10-17-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlag100 (Post 253024)
Those are great pictures! It makes me sort of wish I was around in those times...the huge Inn in Center Harbor was just amazing! I sure wish these old places were still around...Just seeing everyone getting ready to off load at Bear Island is quite a sight, too! I can just imagine the thrill of knowing that your journey had finally come to fruition...Ah, the slower, laid back days...

Amatex. Where mills falls is now. They made asbestos cloth or some such thing. The guys used to leave the factory covered in white dust.

I worked at the Tulsa gas on the corner during high school

Many years ago, like in 1967, we stopped at an asbestos mine in Canada and I brought back a piece for school.

Good times.

thinkxingu 10-18-2015 05:32 AM

Can someone tell me about the castle?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Tallyho 10-19-2015 05:57 PM

Kimballcastle

Try this site for starters. Lots of information out there.
http://www.kimballcastle.com/castle-history.html

mcdude 10-20-2015 06:21 AM

Lots of photos and postcards of the Castle on Photopost http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...=11482&cpage=1

thinkxingu 10-20-2015 06:38 AM

Thanks Tally and Dude--wish I were a millionaire and could purchase and rehab such a beautiful property!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

dippasan 10-20-2015 09:39 AM

Fantastic photo's, Thanks for posting.
The photo's of the old Mount Washington at the Weirs shows what appears to be Governors Island in the back with a steep slope that is bare with a structure/ house on top. Interesting.

Tallyho 10-20-2015 09:31 PM

Photographs

The structure on Governors Island in the background is the summer residence of the German Ambassador to the US. A distant relative of mine was a caretaker there. I believe there is more information somewhere on this site.

mcdude 10-21-2015 06:23 AM

that would be HERE

dippasan 10-21-2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallyho (Post 253108)
The structure on Governors Island in the background is the summer residence of the German Ambassador to the US. A distant relative of mine was a caretaker there. I believe there is more information somewhere on this site.

Very cool. Thanks!
Amazing how mother nature can rebound. I'm sure the property was impressive.

The Winster 11-28-2015 12:21 PM

Great Stuff

Thanks for posting these great old pictures. I'm going to check out that Library of Congress website.

riverat 04-10-2016 05:49 PM

Great picture in Meredith
https://www.facebook.com/NewHampshir...type=3&theater

Quints 04-28-2016 01:55 PM

Great & classic photos! Thanks for sharing.

lagoon 05-21-2016 10:52 AM

Diver1111, have you found any more photos specifically of the lake area of the Alton/Gilford line area? That would be on the south side of the lake just south of Rattlesnake Island.

Thanks for letting me know either way!

Diver1111 05-22-2016 11:05 AM

Sorry I have not. If I did I will post them.

bbfan33 10-10-2016 01:10 PM

thanks

thanks so much for posting these beautiful pictures.
Loved the one of Bear Island Landing.

lagoon 01-07-2017 06:39 PM

Do you have any additional pictures of the lake primarily in the Sleepers Island, Smith Point area.

Thanks,

Bill

Diver1111 01-10-2017 12:09 PM

Sorry I do not recall seeing any. However you may want to go to the Library of Congress/LOC website and dig deeper. Quite remarkable what they have online.

tis 01-04-2019 07:39 AM

isn't it sad that those amazing old hotels are all gone now?

Barney Bear 01-04-2019 11:14 AM

News to Us

We never knew that there was, once, such a large hotel in Center Harbor. Very impressive! 🐻

tis 01-04-2019 12:19 PM

Barney, did you ever see picture of the old hotels in Wolfeboro? They were also amazing!!

Winilyme 12-26-2019 08:08 PM

What would you choose?

Amazing photos. I feel certain I've seen some of them in prior strings over the years but never with such clarity.

As a conversation starter I'll sometimes ask someone what they would choose if they had a choice of:

1. Going back in time 100 years and spending a week exploring the Lake Winni region.
OR
2. Going forward in time 100 years and spending a week exploring the Lake Winni region.

I'd choose to GO BACK in time. What a trip it would be to see the mostly natural lake shores, the towns that have since developed into small cities or resorts, and the little hamlets on the northeast side of the lake that perhaps haven't changed so much in all that time. I'd stay away from the future since maybe I'm afraid of what I'd find.

What would you choose and why?

Winilyme 12-28-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 324383)
Three girls and their pets on the porch at a cabin in Meredith, Summer of 1911. Notice the girl in the center holding the cat, intently watching the dog on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/qUedN97.jpg

Of all the photos I've seen in this string and on this site, I think this is my favorite. I love all the landscapes but nothing gets to the heart of the lakes region more than close-ups of real people carrying on in their normal lives. I love the intimacy of this scene and wish there were more like it. This photo was taken 118 years ago yet, through it, I almost feel like I'm there.

garysanfran 12-29-2019 12:00 PM

Photo of three girls...

I also love this photo...

Look at their shoes!!!

ApS 12-29-2019 01:48 PM

Even later, Better Shoes—Yet...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 324411)
I also love this photo...Look at their shoes!!!

Twenty-five years later, those shoes would have been gold...:eek2:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

(Writer was from this area).
:look:

The Real BigGuy 12-30-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 324418)
Twenty-five years later, those shoes would have been gold...:eek2:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....4,203,200_.jpg

(Writer was from this area).

:look:

I met the author last Patriots Day. He was giving a talk about his experiences before during and after the war. Wonderful gentleman and a very interesting read!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Waco1148 12-30-2019 08:48 AM

With the jeans and scarf she's right in style for 2019, but there's not a lot of girls who were wearing jeans in those days.

pam.in.ny 01-12-2020 01:16 PM

These are fabulous! Oh, to go back and see the lake at that time. Thank you for sharing.

garysanfran 01-13-2020 09:59 AM

That's s a structure around 10' tall. Kinda of large for a nav aid.

Maybe an outhouse...Although it's built over the water.

jbolty 01-13-2020 10:25 AM

looks more like a ticket booth of some sort

salty dog 01-13-2020 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a little closer look. Yes, maybe a booth. Looks like the top facing square might be a hinged door/dutch window?

WinnisquamZ 01-13-2020 03:10 PM

How these individuals are dressed just makes me sweat looking at the photos!

Descant 01-13-2020 03:26 PM

Re Pic in post #64

Thanks for the close up. If the lady is 5' tall, this structure could be 15' tall. I agree with a vending or ticket booth of some sort, but I would have expected signage. Perhaps a panel or two fold down and there is signage on the inside?

Barney Bear 01-13-2020 05:55 PM

Maybe....

Perhaps the structure is related to the Bear Island House, the hotel located up the road from the dock area. Note the luggage aboard the Mount Washington. 🐻

jbolty 01-13-2020 06:37 PM

I think a light house would be located so it was visible from all directions.

ApS 01-14-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325199)
Another picture of the landing. Not the same quality and a little distorted. But this time looking into the landing. Note if you look closely you can see thru the building. 113 years ago. (Can anyone make out the text inside
seems one word is "Picnic" maybe)

I get the following on my cellphone:

"Excursion to Picnic Parties"

...not sure about the last word...
:confused:

upthesaukee 01-15-2020 09:00 PM

Camp Lawrence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325266)
Does anyone know where this place (was/is) on the lake. Is that red hill in the background? I don't have a date on the card at the moment. At very first glance it looks like the dock at silver sands minus the little shack at the end of the dock. I can't help but think this is closer to Center Harbor

https://i.imgur.com/bzXCO67.jpg

Possibly Camp Lawrence on Bear Island, which faces towards the Broads.. Looks like a season area off the end of the dock to the right. The structure could be a lifeguard tower. The Camp had a similar structure when I went there in the 50's.

Dave

Barney Bear 01-15-2020 09:47 PM

Not YMCA Camp Lawrence

The only land mass near the waterfront area on the east side of the camp is Dollar Island which is much smaller than the land seen is this photo. 🐻

upthesaukee 01-15-2020 11:16 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 325277)
The only land mass near the waterfront area on the east side of the camp is Dollar Island which is much smaller than the land seen is this photo. 🐻

Back when the picture was taken, you got more from your Dollar than you do now. :D

Dave

gillygirl 01-16-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthesaukee (Post 325275)
Possibly Camp Lawrence on Bear Island, which faces towards the Broads.. Looks like a season area off the end of the dock to the right. The structure could be a lifeguard tower. The Camp had a similar structure when I went there in the 50's.

Dave

Camp Tecumseh?

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Senter Cove Guy 01-17-2020 06:55 AM

Camp Tecumseh For Sure

You can see Elkins boathouse in the middle of the picture and the Bald Peak Colony Club beach on the right. That’s the Ossipee mountains including Mt. Shaw and Bald Knob.

ApS 01-17-2020 08:57 AM

Nestle?

Check for the bottling plant to be sure!

joey2665 01-17-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325269)
Maybe this answers both questions.

https://i.imgur.com/FWMM1rb.jpg

Not quite it answers one but not the "third leg" lol. If you look at the shoes the leg of the unseen person is different from the boots the man is wearing when he has the woman on his back.

Barney Bear 01-17-2020 12:01 PM

Peek-a-boo

Upon enlarging the photo, it appears that the person behind the lady is another lady. 🐻

JEEPONLY 01-17-2020 04:10 PM

Not to mention, the "third leg" isn't wearing black boots!

joey2665 01-17-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325399)
Very good catch on the different shoes / boots. :):)

Hey I said it two posts before JEEP. [emoji23]

JEEPONLY 01-19-2020 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 325410)
Hey I said it two posts before JEEP. [emoji23]

Yup, you did. Good find! Guess I got sidetracked by Barney Bear's comment.:look:

Diver1111 01-19-2020 09:50 PM

Re: picture of Weirs Beach diving board & raft

As I looked more closely at this diving board I see a very large black inflatable raft that the whole affair sits on. Looks like dead ringer for the one I found out in Weirs Bay a few years ago. I dove it and filmed it as usual and posted it some time ago..

It could well be the same one I found or at least made by the same company. What I found out there was the largest rubber raft I've ever seen-at least 25 feet long minimum and to this day I remain curious about what it was originally used for and of course, how it ended up way offshore.

It had big steel rectangular handles on it and I estimate the side tube diameter when it was inflated to be easily 3 feet.

I'm always impressed with the great historical material Forum members come up with and the variety of it covering a large range of topics.

Pineedles 01-21-2020 09:12 AM

Beautiful old photographs of the lake

Regarding the picture of the floating dock. I believe it is taken near the shore next to One mile island. A rock outcrop on the right might be Little One mile and the “shoreline” on the left to be Half-Mile Island. The Danes had and still have shore property in that area and a large floating dock would have been within their means. One other thing, is the boathouse on the opposite shore directly in the center of the picture might be Colonial Pines Resort.

BroadHopper 01-22-2020 07:26 AM

Winnisquam 1964

That photo is definitely Lexington Drive (O'Shea's Industrial Park).

Pineedles 01-27-2020 12:55 PM

Yes, that’s it Top-Water. Do you remember stopping at our dock and giving me some O-rings and worms and showing me how to rig them? Still use the method today. Thanks again.

Nineacreguy 01-27-2020 02:13 PM

Answering topwaters question re picture with dock. Having been a long time camper at Camp Tecumseh, Moultonborough Bay. I am nearly positive that that is the Camp dock, with Poplar Island in the front, and what we used to call the Bald Peak boathouse on the opposite shoreline. It wasn't floating. Very long crib dock.

Nineacreguy 01-27-2020 02:50 PM

Top-Water. I am 100% on it being Camp Tecumseh. They have an alumni web page with photos over the years. There is a near duplicate in the 1940's section.

gillygirl 01-27-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 325938)
@ Nineacreguy , Pineedles Gillygirl & Senter Cove Guy

Thank you all for helping me figure this out. I have been trying for a little while now.

You made my day. :):)

I never got a chance to do screen shot like I wanted to do, even though you all are sure it's Camp Tecumseh I'm not exactly sure were Camp Tecumseh (is or was).

But thank you all for helping me identify where that photo originates from.

Very cool that four of you confirmed its location. ;)

I feel so blessed that I could identify this from a canoe trip my late husband, and sister-brother-in-law took 13 years ago when we rented in Buzzell Cove. It’s such a lovely part of the lake. But aren’t they all in their own way?!

JEEPONLY 02-02-2020 05:26 PM

So...
Did the Senter House and the Colonial Hotel exist at the same time- doing the same type of business?
Beautiful places!

Edit added: Same building- different names?

JEEPONLY 02-03-2020 08:26 AM

Thank you.

I guess I got confused by the Senter House picture caption "Opens June 24, 1893", and the link notation, "The town became a popular destination in the 19th century, and around 1830 the Senter House opened on the site of the present-day library."

The Real BigGuy 02-05-2020 10:23 PM

From that angle to the left corner of the boat house is actually looking at the “Hole-in-the Wall”

Tallyho 02-08-2020 10:15 AM

Truck

The truck in front of Irwin's looks like a 1978 or 79 Ford 4wd F-150.

The Real BigGuy 02-08-2020 10:34 PM

Sorry Top-Water, I was scrolling down on my phone and it must have stopped just right (or wrong). I didn’t even know there was a second photo until I read your reply and scrolled back to see what you were talking about. mea culpa

tis 02-19-2020 07:39 AM

That was the hurricane of 1938 apparently. It hit NH hard.

ApS 02-19-2020 08:36 AM

Maybe a "Cell" or Weak Tornado?

The hurricane of '38 hit in September.

That mature trees are snapped off halfway up suggests a twister.

gillygirl 02-19-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 326774)
I'm guessing this photo of the weirs was taken by a fortune teller.

Does anyone recognize any part of this image. Other than what is written on the picture no other information.

https://i.imgur.com/CvvlmDk.jpg

Could the house be what is now the Grand View Resort?

jbolty 02-19-2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 326812)
Where was this place where they had the so-called "Latch Key To The White Mountains" I seem to remember it on "Parade Road" or somewhere up near there, along with a nice senic view. Any one remember where this was? I can't quite remember where it was.

Near the location of the former griddle in the middle just before the old golf driving range on the same side

tis 02-20-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 326813)
Near the location of the former griddle in the middle just before the old golf driving range on the same side

Is that farm where they sold old boats for quite a long time?

Descant 02-20-2020 01:33 PM

"Welcome" signs

I believe the "Latchkey" signs were "Welcome to Meredith" type, so there were multiples, one on Rt 3 near the Meredith/Laconia line, just past Tamarack, one as you come down the hill to the docks and one on Rt 25 on the Center Harbor town line. There may also have been one coming southbound on Rt 3. I don't recall one on Rt 104 or Parade Rd, but I traveled those roads rarely.

jbolty 02-20-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 326843)
I believe the "Latchkey" signs were "Welcome to Meredith" type, so there were multiples, one on Rt 3 near the Meredith/Laconia line, just past Tamarack, one as you come down the hill to the docks and one on Rt 25 on the Center Harbor town line. There may also have been one coming southbound on Rt 3. I don't recall one on Rt 104 or Parade Rd, but I traveled those roads rarely.

I'm sure you're right but the only one I have a specific recollection of is the one I mentioned. I remember that one looking half fallen down 40 years ago. Just did a quick google search and the term latchkey seems to have been used since the pretty early 1900s.

Susie Cougar 02-20-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 326812)
Where was this place where they had the so-called "Latch Key To The White Mountains" I seem to remember it on "Parade Road" or somewhere up near there, along with a nice senic view. Any one remember where this was? I can't quite remember where it was.

https://i.imgur.com/ym13KjV.jpg

I remember two of these signs. I know there was one on route 104, but I can’t exactly place where it was. It doesn’t seem to me it was on the boundary line, it seems it was further up 104. But that picture that you posted is haunting me.

The other one I remember very clearly. It was on route 25 just before you cross into Meredith. I was living in Brookhurst at the time and the sign was always my way of knowing that I was turning ahead.

Waco1148 02-21-2020 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There's a big "Latchkey" sign on a red garage in Meredith, on the left as you head down Pleasant St. going toward Meredith Neck. Here is another Latchkey image. The Post Office had a National Air Mail Week promotion in May, 1938 and towns could design their own logo to be used on airmail letters for that week only. This is what Meredith came up with. There were about 50 towns in NH that had their own "cachet" envelopes, kind of a collector item nowadays.

fatlazyless 02-21-2020 11:51 AM

www.mhsweb.org has a large old Meredith bit key sign on the side of their building that you can see here in their photo.

fatlazyless 03-26-2020 07:29 AM

Looking at the LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE license plate created from seven 1970's dark green & white NH plates ...... don't you think these old license plates were a better look than today's NH plate.

tis 03-26-2020 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 329195)
Looking at the LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE license plate created from seven 1970's dark green & white NH plates ...... don't you think these old license plates were a better look than today's NH plate.

We used to change them every year (then maybe two?) and they alternated colors. One year they were green with white and the next they were white with green.

Susie Cougar 03-26-2020 08:47 AM

Top-Water , I googled Meredith New Hampshire latchkey signs. There were two articles, one from the Laconia Daily Sun and the other from New Hampshire Business Weekly. In September 2018, marking Meredith 250th year, new signs were erected at all four spots. The only picture they had showed the sign on route 25 as you leave Center Harbor to enter Meredith. It did not say exactly where the other signs were.
I do not know how to send a link. But, Annie Paquette, made all the new signs and put them up. I’m not up there now, but there must be someone that can verify the location of the signs now. I hope this helps.

Susie Cougar 03-26-2020 08:56 AM

It’s the sign on route 104 that is haunting me. I can see it looking like the photo that you posted, I just can’t pinpoint exactly where it is.

Diver1111 03-26-2020 10:17 AM

I've seen those oxen before...

I believe they are in Meredith Bay just northwest of the old shake mill that processed them into what most people call shingles. They would pull logs into the mill from that conveyor.

Now of course it's the location of Church Landing.

barefootbay 03-28-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 329502)
This is one I need help on. I'm just not sure of its exact location. Obviously near Alton ...... but what cove is this?
Perhaps someone here knows where the "Bakeman Cabins" was.

https://i.imgur.com/qxGtuwL.jpg

Looks like Roberts Cove

tis 03-29-2020 07:03 AM

Yes, I totally agree with barefoot bay.

thinkxingu 04-01-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 330154)
Old image of the board walk area of the weirs before expansion of the tracks and hotels. Note the width of the street. I'm guessing this was taken before automobiles.

https://i.imgur.com/rdKP4W4.png

Look at all the open land!
I stopped by the Weirs the other day to find the home on Baker Ave. my family used to rent and it's sad to see how many of those homes, and the old hotel, are rundown and not maintained. We always visit in the summer when it's busy and the focus is on fun, so I hadn't noticed how bad it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 04-01-2020 10:22 AM

The only places I really remember from my youth are the pier, roller rink, arcades, Frankensundae, Kellerhaus, the Trading Post (with the Indian statue), the hotel (where we'd watch fireworks from the porch and play pool in the game room, my brothers turning the pocket bumpers around so as not to pay), and the little store under the bridge walkway with crunchy plain donuts. I don't even really remember the beach.

thinkxingu 04-01-2020 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 330178)
The Mount Washinton Sundae ...................... YUMMY :) and I think a free one after you finish the first one............ any one remember that ??

https://i.imgur.com/TDSFeEa.jpg

How about the swing set down there? As a young kid and teen I thought that was one of the best ones out there.

I don't remember the swings and, sadly, I've not found any photos from my childhood—which I've been going through while clearing out Dad's house—but this is the house (to the left) as of last week.Attachment 15777

JEEPONLY 04-02-2020 02:58 AM

Even though I wasn't around then, this picture emotes my remembrances of the area!

Thank you!