Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boat crash (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25162)

Barney Bear 11-11-2019 09:01 PM

Sad, Sad, Sad

The East Bear Island community lost two fine residents and friends Saturday evening. We visited Hal and Karin on Columbus Day to say good-bye. Sad that it is forever. 🐻

map 11-11-2019 09:23 PM

So Very Tragic

Prayers for the family. Just horrible.

BroadHopper 11-12-2019 08:37 AM

LaDaSun article

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ed612a014.html

LIforrelaxin 11-12-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 322574)
The Penn Yan Swift and a Merc wasn't any slouch.

Image removed

Just say'n…

Would gazing at GPS come into this?

APS, this post was in poor taste.....

farechofisherman 11-12-2019 10:36 AM

So sad

What a horrible event. My condolences to the families involved. What a terrible loss for the entire Winnipesaukee community. Hal Lyon is a legendary member of the Winnipesaukee family; an old school gentleman who always had time for a teaching story. A true "lake guy" with a ton of local knowledge, he will be missed! RIP. I am sure Mr. Hanson was from the same cloth, did not know him, and may he RIP also.

Rattlesnake Gal 11-12-2019 01:29 PM

What a Sad Tragedy

What a Sad Tragedy.

As I was reading, Hal’s name sounded very familiar. He wrote a very special book, Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit. He was a member here on The Forum.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones and friends of these two men lost.

thinkxingu 11-12-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 322638)
What a Sad Tragedy.

As I was reading, Hal’s name sounded very familiar. He wrote a very special book, Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit. He was a member here on The Forum.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones and friends of these two men lost.

What were the usernames of the deceased?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 11-12-2019 02:45 PM

Username

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 322643)
What were the usernames of the deceased?

Hal's was halclyon...

Dan

thinkxingu 11-12-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 322644)
Hal's was halclyon...

Dan

Thanks, Dan. It appears his last post here, in 2016, was to you. Sorry for your loss. https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=270458

ishoot308 11-12-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 322645)
Thanks, Dan. It appears his last post here, in 2016, was to you. Sorry for your loss. https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=270458

Hal had been working with a few of us dedicated lake Winni fishermen in getting our issue heard regarding the missing age classes of salmon in the lake. He was instrumental in setting up the initial meetings with the Laconia Daily Sun which got the issue noticed by the NHF&G. Hal had a good Journalism background and had connections in the community which helped us immensely...

Both Hal and Jim were members of the lakes "RFP" group (retired fishing partners) and were dedicated lake Winni anglers...

May they both rest peacefully...

Dan

radioman 11-12-2019 04:44 PM

Boat Crash

Cal, sorry you were offended, was simply trying to report the facts. Now that you know the facts, I am sure you can appreciate my not iding anyone.RADIOMAN never plays games.
I knew all the folks involved, and I am upset and sad. Both will be very much missed. JOEY, thank you for sticking up for me

Cal Coon 11-12-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 322648)
Cal, sorry you were offended, was simply trying to report the facts. Now that you know the facts, I am sure you can appreciate my not iding anyone.RADIOMAN never plays games.
I knew all the folks involved, and I am upset and sad. Both will be very much missed. JOEY, thank you for sticking up for me

Maybe I interpreted your words the wrong way. If so, I apologize as well. I thought that you were implying that it was going to be someone famous, or somewhat famous, and were treating it like a typical soap opera on a Friday afternoon!! You know, keep people guessing, in suspense... I thought you were implying it was going to be someone that everyone would know. You know, like a "household" name. Or some big local hot shot or something. Either way, I just thought it was inappropriate, I wasn't offended. However, I appreciate your maturity to take your medicine and apologize. I am impressed, and appreciate it. My condolences to the family and friends of these two men. May they RIP.

joey2665 11-12-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 322648)

Anytime [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Sue Doe-Nym 11-12-2019 08:09 PM

Tragedy on the lake

Judging from the comments on this forum, these two men are examples of “two lives well lived”, and how much they will be missed by so many whose lives they touched. It’s also a reminder that life is fragile and all too short. My condolences to their families and friends.

sum-r breeze 11-12-2019 08:29 PM

What a tragic loss. I needed to post on this to share my thoughts. I always felt a certain connection with all of my fellow boaters on Winnipesaukee. I feel like we are all kind of like extended family and when one or more of us is hurt or in this case killed on this beautiful lake, it pains me personally. We have found an oasis of sorts here in central NH that we all enjoy immensely. To have something so tragic happen here doesn’t seem right or just. My heart goes out to the loved ones who have suffered this profound loss. It also goes out to the rest of my boating community extended family one and all. When accidents happen on this lake we love so much, we are reminded how in a split second our lives can change forever. So my boating friends....say a prayer for the ones lost and the family they leave behind and be careful out there.

Jeanzb1 11-12-2019 10:20 PM

There are no words.......
But may this enormous tragedy serve as a solemn reminder of how powerful and dangerous our lake is.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

tis 11-13-2019 05:45 AM

It IS so very sad. As someone said, with so few boats on the lake the odds of this happening seem so strange. We all need to think about being more careful next summer when the lake gets busy again.

Oblio13 11-13-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 322574)
The Penn Yan Swift and a Merc wasn't any slouch.

[IMG]*image removed*[/IMG]

Just say'n…

Would gazing at GPS come into this?

I can envision looking at GPS as being a factor, too, as they navigated near that tangle of markers between Bear and Pine. I certainly look at mine going through there, even in daylight.

It was dark, and the backgrounds of nearby islands were dark. It was cold, so they were likely huddled behind windshields. They each probably thought that they were the only boat on the lake. They were both probably referencing GPS overlays or apps.

Most accidents are not due to a single cause, but rather to a chain of events that could be interrupted at several points. Environmental factors, complacency, distractions, etc.

There are things to analyze and learn from this tragedy.

Great pic of a classic, BTW.

MAXUM 11-13-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oblio13 (Post 322665)
I can envision looking at GPS as being a factor, too, as they navigated near that tangle of markers between Bear and Pine. I certainly look at mine going through there, even in daylight.

It was dark, and the backgrounds of nearby islands were dark. It was cold, so they were likely huddled behind windshields. They each probably thought that they were the only boat on the lake. They were both probably referencing GPS overlays or apps.

Most accidents are not due to a single cause, but rather to a chain of events that could be interrupted at several points. Environmental factors, complacency, distractions, etc.

There are things to analyze and learn from this tragedy.

Great pic of a classic, BTW.

Those guys had been boating on the lake well before GPS even existed. They don't need one. Hell I don't need one, and I've only been out there for 8 years and driven through there hundreds if not a thousand times. That is not a difficult once you're used to it. Plus the Bear Island Post Office has a light on at the dock at night 24X7 year round that does a pretty good job of identifying where the gap is.

Everyone who has been there enough knows the only hazards to worry about in there is staying far enough away from the Pine Island and cutting out wide of the NW point of Bear. Those markers in the middle are for the mail boat and the mount. Shallowest point in there is maybe 8 foot deep.

Woodsy 11-13-2019 08:35 AM

A tragedy for both families and all the Bear Is. family. My condolences to you all.

This is a teaching moment.... no matter how well you know the lake, you must always be vigilant and keep a good lookout.

Woodsy

radioman 11-13-2019 08:36 AM

Boat Crash

Max, GM and tnx for the post. We will never really know. Still cannot get this off my mind.

LIforrelaxin 11-13-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 322669)
Those guys had been boating on the lake well before GPS even existed. They don't need one. Hell I don't need one, and I've only been out there for 8 years and driven through there hundreds if not a thousand times. That is not a difficult once you're used to it. Plus the Bear Island Post Office has a light on at the dock at night 24X7 year round that does a pretty good job of identifying where the gap is.

Everyone who has been there enough knows the only hazards to worry about in there is staying far enough away from the Pine Island and cutting out wide of the NW point of Bear. Those markers in the middle are for the mail boat and the mount. Shallowest point in there is maybe 8 foot deep.

GPS is no substitute for experience that is for sure. While I am planning on adding a GPS unit to my boat next year, it will also provide sonar, speed..... and I am doing it not because I feel I need it. But I am getting more adventurous at night. And going places that I don't often visit at night... and well the night vision isn't what it used to be..... When I am in the parts of the lake that I know well.... there is never a problem.....These two men where in an area of the lake they new well....GPS wouldn't have done anything in this case.... I will not even speculate what happened, other then to say it is a sad day, for the lake community.....

MAXUM 11-13-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 322671)
Max, GM and tnx for the post. We will never really know. Still cannot get this off my mind.

No we won't. However I also look at it this way, these guys enjoyed a full life, a wonderful friendship and were the kind of gentlemen we all should aspire to be. That's a damn good legacy to leave behind.

Oblio13 11-13-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Those guys had been boating on the lake well before GPS even existed...

Me too. And yet I find them extremely useful, especially at night. At the very least, they've saved me from buying a couple props.

Once upon a time, I was a fighter pilot with visual acuity and night vision so good that people used to think I was doing magic tricks or something. Now I'm in my sixties, and I need glasses and feel like Mr. Magoo at night. Jim was in his seventies. Hal was in his eighties. They were both hunkered down on a below-freezing night behind possibly fogged windshields and fogged glasses. It's very plausible to me that they would cross-reference a GPS or a nav app on a phone.

Quote:

... Everyone who has been there enough knows the only hazards to worry about in there is staying far enough away from the Pine Island ...

Hal's boat sank close to Pine Island. It seems likely to me that he had hugged those red-tops south of Pine in order to minimize time in the no-wake zone, and that Jim was planning to do the same. The short-cut funneled them right into each other.

rick35 11-13-2019 12:56 PM

I’ve never boated this late in the season but when I’m out at night I always pull the canvas back so I have a clear view around me. And that’s even if it’s pouring. It’s just too confusing with glare on the windows. I even installed dash light dimmers so I don’t get glare from the gauges.

ishoot308 11-13-2019 01:07 PM

Hearsay

This is complete hearsay so take it for what it's worth...I heard that Hal's boat had been experiencing issues and MAY have broken down and been without power. No power = no nav lights and Jim may not have seen him.

To me this does make the most sense but as I said earlier this is all nothing but complete useless hearsay...and at this point what difference does it make...

Dan

iw8surf 11-13-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 322677)
This is complete hearsay so take it for what it's worth...I heard that Hal's boat had been experiencing issues and MAY have broken down and been without power. No power = no nav lights and Jim may not have seen him.

To me this does make the most sense but as I said earlier this is all nothing but complete useless hearsay...and at this point what difference does it make...

Dan

For these individuals you are right it wont make a difference but finding out what truly happened if possible may help others avoid situations like this in the future by learning from it. Or at least help those affected get closure.

Mr. V 11-13-2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 322678)
For these individuals you are right it wont make a difference but finding out what truly happened if possible may help others avoid situations like this in the future by learning from it. Or at least help those affected get closure.

The authorities will most certainly want to know the cause as possible criminal consequences could flow from the event (unlikely, if as it seems both of the operators perished in the accident), and of course there will always be lawyers waiting to pounce on the at fault party or his/her estate.

Descant 11-13-2019 03:51 PM

Condolences

I don't know the families, but I still feel some difficulty expressing myself over this tragic event. My condolences to the families.

Cal Coon 11-13-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iw8surf (Post 322678)

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, by the time investigators piece things together, and find the cause of this, and other tragedies, the media has moved on, and what could be a teachable moment for other's goes by the wayside... Such a waste. Very frustrating. I guess the teachable moments don't get the same "ratings" as the actual tragedy when it happens. Gotta have priorities...

dickiej 11-13-2019 07:50 PM

George Carlin used to say the media isn't happy unless there is a hospital on fire and people are jumping off the roof.

garysanfran 11-13-2019 10:20 PM

Nhmp...

Don't know if it has been addressed, but the very rapid assessment and finding of the second craft, I finding rewarding of very trained skills.

Thanks NHMP..

gillygirl 11-14-2019 01:09 AM

I think the takeaway from this is two highly experienced boaters were out on the water doing their best under all of the conditions presented to them, and yet this happened. The best we can do to honor them is learn from this tragedy once the results of the investigation are released and be uber-vigilant in the future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TheTimeTraveler 11-14-2019 09:18 AM

This entire situation is quite sad, and hopefully the lone survivor will be able to provide investigators some valuable information to assist in the investigation.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families involved.

Barney Bear 11-14-2019 10:46 AM

Request

Please post any information concerning funeral arrangements for Hal and Jim when these become known. We have lost longtime East Bear Island neighbors and friends in this unfortunate tragedy. 🐻

Taz 11-14-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 322677)

Dan

Years ago I was in Wolfboro bay with my wife after dark. It was very dark out. We heard some one call out but could not see anything from where the voice was coming from. We slowly continued to move and finally discovered a small 20 bowrider with a husband and wife aboard. They had no power and no lights would work. The did not have a flashlight either (that would be key) We towed them back to the town docks and they were very appreciative. He was a doctor but not sure where. Thank god we were not going faster or up on plane. This was not too far from where you would slow down to approach the docks. I will try to remember to always have a flashlight with good batteries.

ishoot308 11-14-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 322692)
Years ago I was in Wolfboro bay with my wife after dark. It was very dark out. We heard some one call out but could not see anything from where the voice was coming from. We slowly continued to move and finally discovered a small 20 bowrider with a husband and wife aboard. They had no power and no lights would work. The did not have a flashlight either (that would be key) We towed them back to the town docks and they were very appreciative. He was a doctor but not sure where. Thank god we were not going faster or up on plane. This was not too far from where you would slow down to approach the docks. I will try to remember to always have a flashlight with good batteries.

Yes a flashlight is a must at minimal...besides a flashlight I also carry a clip on set of battery nav lights similar to this... https://smile.amazon.com/Bright-Eyes...3747849&sr=8-9

I also have a suction mount battery white stern light.

I have had them for a few years and luckily so far I have not had to use them. I change the batteries every spring...

Dan

steve c 11-14-2019 11:33 AM

http://www.bearcam1.com/
Marine Patrol on the cam. looks like they are running a search grid

steve c 11-14-2019 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
looks like a search grid

Phantom 11-14-2019 01:41 PM

I thought the tragic accident occurred across from the Post Office …. not in the line of sight of Bear Cam ……… which looks in the general direction of FL#4 & FL#61

Am I mistaken ?