Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Pets (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   motor cycles and dogs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17746)

aquabones 06-22-2014 04:55 AM

motor cycles and dogs

Is anyone's dog frightened but he loud noises of the motorcycles. My older dog has gotten so fearful of loud noises, especially fireworks, firecrackers, and motorcycles. Last night she was so disoriented from those noises, I finally had to give her some benadryl. Has anyone used those vests that are supposed to calm a dog down. I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to know first if anyone has used one successfully.

tis 06-22-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquabones (Post 227184)
Is anyone's dog frightened but he loud noises of the motorcycles. My older dog has gotten so fearful of loud noises, especially fireworks, firecrackers, and motorcycles. Last night she was so disoriented from those noises, I finally had to give her some benadryl. Has anyone used those vests that are supposed to calm a dog down. I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to know first if anyone has used one successfully.

My littlest one is scared of every noise, even rain! She spends most of her life shaking. I have asked a lot of people about those vests and some say they work and some say they don't. If you DO find a solution let me know. The vet says I need to treat her like a German Shepherd, leave her on the floor, don't hold her, but she just gets worse.

pjard 06-22-2014 07:05 AM

We have three dog and one of them (Toy Fox Terrier) gets very upset with any loud noises. Ironically the motorcycles don't seem to bother him that much. We tried the "Thunder Jacket" a few years ago and it did seem to make a difference. However, it is tricky to get it on and off and you can't always predict the noise coming (airplanes, fireworks, etc). It's not the kind of thing you would want to leave on all the time. We haven't used it in a while but I would say to give it a try.

Nagigator 06-22-2014 08:09 AM

works for us.........

I got a thundershirt 2 years ago for my chicken black lab, she hates fireworks, gunshots, thunder, ect. We put it on, she stops pacing, finds a comer to settle down in, and usually goes to sleep like she is in a coma. She also hates when the snow slides off our metal roof, but the shirt doesn't seem to help much with that.........can't win them all.:)

pcmc 06-22-2014 08:18 AM

Very interesting hearing the positive feed back. When I saw an ad for it I thought, how can that calm the dog. Wearing clothes or layers isn't calming to me. Glad to hear your having some success.

Googling the product may get a variety of feed back, good or bad.
I hope you find a comfort zone for your little four legged friend.

trfour 06-22-2014 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Teach Them Well, and while they are teachable...

winnisummergal 06-22-2014 11:11 PM

Worked for us

Our bulldog is a rescue who is afraid of loud noises and has separation anxiety. She would pee in the house every time we would leave even though she was taken out and did her business before we left, even if we were only gone for an hour. Got the thunder shirt and it stopped immediately, forgot to put it on a few times and she pee'd again. I highly recommend product.

tis 06-23-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmc (Post 227191)
Very interesting hearing the positive feed back. When I saw an ad for it I thought, how can that calm the dog. Wearing clothes or layers isn't calming to me. Glad to hear your having some success.

Googling the product may get a variety of feed back, good or bad.
I hope you find a comfort zone for your little four legged friend.

I am glad to hear the positive too. If I knew it would work, I would buy one but I have heard so many people tell me not to waste my money.

dpg 06-24-2014 06:11 AM

Like anything depends on the dog you've got to just give it a try. I know people who swear by it and also swear at them cause they spent the money for "nothing." Depends on the dog it's a case by case thing.

aquabones 06-25-2014 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg (Post 227312)
Like anything depends on the dog you've got to just give it a try. I know people who swear by it and also swear at them cause they spent the money for "nothing." Depends on the dog it's a case by case thing.

I ordered one and thought it was worth a try.

pcmc 06-25-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquabones (Post 227409)
I ordered one and thought it was worth a try.

If something so simple could offer comfort for your pet, sure why not.
Do they offer a reasonable return policy, for the just in case it doesn't help?

SIKSUKR 06-25-2014 01:26 PM

45 days full refund.