Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Don't Forget Pop's!! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12031)

ishoot308 05-08-2011 08:33 AM

Don't Forget Pop's!!

2 Attachment(s)
We took a boat ride to Pop's yesterday for our annual seafood extravaganza! In one word... AWESOME!! What you see below is their seafood platter which easily feeds three hungry people and obviously a lobster roll plate. The lobster roll was one of the best I have had in a long time!

Anyone hungry?...:D

Rusty 05-08-2011 09:06 AM

A picture is worth a thousand words

Wow!!! :eek: Look at those whole belly clams, scallops, shrimp and more!

The lobster meat really fills that roll...I've never seen one that full of meat.

Thanks for posting the pictures...can't wait to go there!

Winnigirl83 05-08-2011 04:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, what were the prices?

ishoot308 05-08-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 (Post 156457)
Just out of curiosity, what were the prices?

I believe the seafood platter is $24.00 + or - (remember it feeds three!!) and the lobster roll plate was $13.00 + or -

Dan

Flylady 05-08-2011 06:33 PM

Thanks for the images

One more thing to add to my list for my first trip back to the lake :coolsm:

jkjoshuatree 05-09-2011 06:37 AM

I'm Hungry Now!

In 38 years at the lake (I'm in Meredith) I've tried almost all of the restaurants around Winni (seen many come and go too) but I've never tried this one.

Looks like I have a new destination this summer.

I don't eat fried food but I think I may have to make an exception for Pop's.

Great pics!!

Slickcraft 05-09-2011 07:04 AM

That does look good Dan!

We make at least a once a year stop while out on the bike and eat on the upper deck, avoiding the day prior to having blood drawn for the cholesterol test.:D

gslpro 05-09-2011 07:44 AM

Thumbs up for Pop's

When we used to slip down in Alton Bay, Pop's was a frequent favorite of ours. The clams tasted like you were much closer to the ocean instead of a lake. Really good fresh-tasting seafood. Will definitely be taking the boat down to Alton get a nice plate of clams.

jrc 05-09-2011 08:10 AM

We love Pop's!

Be careful, it is real easy to order too much food. The little paper boats they show as serving sizes are deceiving, expect them to be heaping and overflowing when you get them.

ishoot308 05-09-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 156495)
That does look good Dan!

We make at least a once a year stop while out on the bike and eat on the upper deck, avoiding the day prior to having blood drawn for the cholesterol test.:D

You know Slickcraft, there is something about the way Pop's fries his food where it just is not greasy. My wife who was in the restaurant business says the same thing. This is definitely not greasy seafood.

Dan

Rattlesnake Guy 05-09-2011 05:47 PM

We love to go to Pops by boat at the public dock 200 feet away. Take our food back to the boat and float around the bay while enjoying the great food.

Be warned though. Pops has to be one of the least impressive places to look at. It has a lot of character and obviously Pop spends his focus on the food.

Also enjoy sitting in the upper deck seating area. We have done this a few times during motorcycle weekend and watch the bikes roar by.

upthesaukee 05-09-2011 09:21 PM

Only caution I would give...

Pops is cash only...no checks or credit cards.

This is a small inconvenience for the great food and portions you get there.

Welcome back for 2011, Pops!

PS: ditto on getting the food and then back to the boat. We do that often for the Sat. night concerts at the bay. Umm Umm Good

pops 05-10-2011 05:38 AM

Hi

We will take instate checks as payment.And out of state if I Know you. We also have an ATM in our dinning room. I know alot of people do not carry alot of cash anymore but the credit card processor gets 3-5% of the gross and thats alot when profit margins are getting smaller and smaller.

Also...Thank you to ishoot308 for posting the photos. They look awsome! Would you mind if I posted them on Pop's Face Book page?

See you all this summer.

Pop's

ishoot308 05-10-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 156588)
Hi

We will take instate checks as payment.And out of state if I Know you. We also have an ATM in our dinning room. I know alot of people do not carry alot of cash anymore but the credit card processor gets 3-5% of the gross and thats alot when profit margins are getting smaller and smaller.

Also...Thank you to ishoot308 for posting the photos. They look awsome! Would you mind if I posted them on Pop's Face Book page?

See you all this summer.

Pop's

You are welcome and feel free to use the pictures!! If you want higher resolution photos send me your email address by P.M. and I will send them to you.

Thanks for the great meal!!

Dan

Waterbaby 05-13-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree (Post 156494)
In 38 years at the lake (I'm in Meredith) I've tried almost all of the restaurants around Winni (seen many come and go too) but I've never tried this one.

Looks like I have a new destination this summer.

I don't eat fried food but I think I may have to make an exception for Pop's.

Great pics!!

You can always kind of scrape off the batter, Jay - at least on the scallops and shrimp.............. Fried clams really need the batter coating! I usually do that with fish and chips, the seafood inside is great and tender! :laugh:

Waterbaby 05-13-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 156442)
We took a boat ride to Pop's yesterday for our annual seafood extravaganza! In one word... AWESOME!! What you see below is their seafood platter which easily feeds three hungry people and obviously a lobster roll plate. The lobster roll was one of the best I have had in a long time!

Anyone hungry?...:D

What kind of camera are you using? Resolution is awesome, and I'm in the market for a new digital. I don't use a camera phone, I have my old cell phone that's about 9 years old now -- does what I need it to do, which is make and receive calls, so am hoping you aren't going to say a camera phone, lol. Thanks in advance!

ishoot308 05-14-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterbaby (Post 156943)
What kind of camera are you using? Resolution is awesome, and I'm in the market for a new digital. I don't use a camera phone, I have my old cell phone that's about 9 years old now -- does what I need it to do, which is make and receive calls, so am hoping you aren't going to say a camera phone, lol. Thanks in advance!

I have a couple cameras but the one I used for this shot is a simple point and shoot Nikon "Cool Pix" camera. It's been just a great camera as it's small enough to put in your shirt pocket, has good battery life and 7 mega-pixels of resolution. The newer Cool Pix have 9 mega-pixels! I would buy another in a heart beat!

Dan

John A. Birdsall 05-14-2011 11:40 AM

Pops

As a teenager (a couple of summers ago) I used to take the Puddy tat to the bay on Sundays and get me a clam plate at Pops. I don't recall the cost but about 6.95. They were great then I would head back to the cottage and ave a roast beef dinner. or maybe a Turkey dinner. I must have done a lot of exercising back then cause I could never do that now.:eek:

Argie's Wife 05-14-2011 12:06 PM

Ate at Pop's last night - it had been a while since we've been. As we were looking over the menu we had someone in front of us - he had to squish the youngest kiddo against the ordering counter to get ahead of us, causing the kid to bump his head - I was almost in mama bear mode over that one... the gal at the counter was responsive - nice staff and good service there.

The oldest Arglet had chicken fingers and the youngest Arglet had a hot dog. The kids' meals come in a frisbee. The food was ready fairly quickly - not a long wait at all.

Both boys pretty much cleaned their plates (frisbees) - with the exception of a few fries. I had a cheeseburger & fry plate, with a side of onion rings - the rings are excellent! YUM! :)

(Note to self: do not sit on the upper deck of the dining area again after kids are given frisbees.) :D;)

Donna44 05-14-2011 06:48 PM

were is Pop's new to area

Slickcraft 05-14-2011 07:26 PM

West side of southern tip of Alton Bay, across the street from Mt. Washington landing. Not much on looks, but great food. No better place to get your fried clam fix.

ghfromaltonbay 05-15-2011 03:01 PM

Worth the wait!

It's on Rte. 11 in Alton Bay across the road from the Community Center, almost at the southern tip of the lake.

Ordered a shrimp plate to go for my Sunday dinner. There is more than enough for tomorrow as well. I counted 49 baby shrimp and these came with a heap of fries and enough cole slaw for 3 people. Yummy and worth the wait since last summer.:liplick:

Steveo 05-16-2011 11:45 AM

Pop's closing time

Tried to order clam dinner Saturday night as payoff for son-in-law helping me get boat back in the water. Called Pop's at 7:30 since I knew they closed at 8pm. They said they closed early due to being so slow. Thought all the fishermen would have kept it busy. Highly disappointed son-in-law who had to settle for hamburgers.

upthesaukee 05-16-2011 03:25 PM

Saturday evening

I can tell you that we played golf late Saturday afternoon into the evening, and it was some kind of cold with the dampness and wind picking up. We ended up stopping at JP China and saw no one sitting outside, and when we left, we went out RT 11 towards Gilford. The only activity in the bay were cars parked at Shibleys at the Pier. No one at the ice cream stand. No one parked in the bay. At this time of year, I can understand the closing early. It certainly was not conducive to eating outside or even sitting in the car.

I can also understand wishing to repay son-in-law with food from Pop's. I am reminded of what my Dad used to tell me:"I'd rather owe it to you than cheat you out of it!" Hopefully he wil be back up later in the year with good weather, and can get his Pop's reward.;)

Happy Gourmand 05-16-2011 04:20 PM

Pop's rocks

All this Pop's talk and that picture is making me hungry...I'll be off to Woodman's in Litchfield for dinner....it ain't Pop's, but it's not too bad. My second favorite place up there for fried seafood is Kevin's....I wonder if he'll have the All you Cat Eat fried clams this year.

pops 05-16-2011 04:25 PM

Sorry Steveo

We closed around 7:15. It was very slow for a Saturday. Understandable though. It was very cold and wet. Sometimes it gets to the point when the business is losing money pretty quickly when it's that slow. I hope we can make it up to you.
Thank You.
Pop's

ghfromaltonbay 05-16-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 157143)
We closed around 7:15. It was very slow for a Saturday. Understandable though. It was very cold and wet. Sometimes it gets to the point when the business is losing money pretty quickly when it's that slow. I hope we can make it up to you.
Thank You.
Pop's

I was afraid of the same thing on Sunday (an early closing) so that's why I made the "executive decision" to have my dinner at 1 pm instead of 6 pm. Glad I did. There were only 2 customers while I was there and the whole area down by the bay looked deserted, but the baby shrimp were terrific and I had the leftovers today at noon before the 5 hour drive back to NJ. Can't wait for the return trip in 2 1/2 weeks!

Meredith lady 05-17-2011 08:48 AM

Pop's

i am going to Pop's this year-i have never been but the pictures look awesome-see you this summer, Pops!

FormulaBRW 05-17-2011 10:45 AM

Kevins still running AYCE Fried Calms on Friday

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand (Post 157141)
All this Pop's talk and that picture is making me hungry...I'll be off to Woodman's in Litchfield for dinner....it ain't Pop's, but it's not too bad. My second favorite place up there for fried seafood is Kevin's....I wonder if he'll have the All you Cat Eat fried clams this year.

Just ate there last Friday the 13th. They are still running the AYCE fried clams and they sure were great. I finished two plates but my son ate 4 in total.:liplick:

The wife had the fried shrimp and scallops and they were also yummy.

We had never tried Kevins before but will sure be vack again soon!!!!

Steveo 05-18-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 157143)
Thank You.
Pop's

No Problem, as Upthesaukee says I will just owe my son-in-law one. Anyway the wife is coming up this weekend and has already demanded her first of the season clam dinners. I will just make sure to be there by 7 ;)

RANGER CANOE CO 05-19-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 157410)
Across from the town docks on route 11 in Alton Bay.

Hey, thanks, went right by there last Saturday delivering a boat. Ill stop next time.......:)

RailroadJoe 06-06-2011 01:45 PM

Stopped at Pop's today for lunch. Like Philadelphia, it was closed. So instead we drove up Route 11 to Sawyer's. I thought they only sold ice cream, but I found they have the biggest and best sea scallops around. We got the quart size, more like a gallon, of the sweetest scallops I've had in a while. Also the fried onion rings were excellent with a very light coating.
I found out that next month they will have steamers and lobsters also. Looks like Pop's is off my list and Sawyer's is in the number one spot.
Hold the steamers until after the fourth and I'll be there.

RANGER CANOE CO 06-06-2011 02:31 PM

Pop's is tops

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER CANOE CO (Post 157395)
Ok, where's Pop's ? :liplick:

Had a canoe demo at Kittery trading post last saturday. Came home threw Alton bay, just for POP"S.:D Pop's is Tops. Im hooked, so discount canoe deliverys to A-bay........:liplick::liplick::liplick::D:D:D. Thx's ishoot

pops 06-06-2011 03:09 PM

Sorry we missed you RailroadJoe.
We open full time seven days a week on June 20th. Until then we are open Fri-Sun 11:30-close.
I was there though....That was me sealcoating my parking lot.

Pop's

Skip 06-06-2011 03:55 PM

I'll be stopping by soon....

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 159271)
Sorry we missed you RailroadJoe.
We open full time seven days a week on June 20th. Until then we are open Fri-Sun 11:30-close.
I was there though....That was me sealcoating my parking lot.

Pop's

I drive by your place all the time on my numerous commutes to Tilton from Dover. Unfortunately it's during the week, but you are definitely on my "suppah list" once you open full time.

Unfortunately I'll probably fall asleep at my meeting after getting a bellyfull of your clams & rings! :)

upthesaukee 06-06-2011 05:33 PM

No Problem

Skip, no problem...we have a couple of extra bedrooms if you need one to sleep off a Pop's overload.

I had one the other day...catnapped in the chair for a couple of hour

mg2107 06-10-2011 08:20 PM

Pops is the best!

Slickcraft 07-11-2011 05:07 PM

We just got back from our annual fried clam fix at Pop's. We ordered one clam plate and one medium onion ring side with an extra plate so my wife and I could split the order.
The clams and rings were excellent as always. So we ate clams and onion rings for some time, and took a rest watching the lake happenings from the upper deck. Then we worked on the clams and rings some more and almost were able to finish both. The fries, while very good, were pretty much untouched as we were quite full.
Next year we will order a medium side of clams and a small side of onion rings and extra plates omitting the fries.

OK homemade raspberry ice cream is next, the machine is running right now. I picked fresh raspberries at Smith's in Gilford this morning. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smith-...d/212861950622
The jam is in the jars and the ice cream is almost ready.

All in all an enjoyable and no doubt very healthy dinner.:D

Mr. V 07-11-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slickcraft (Post 162705)
[CENTER]We just got back from our annual fried clam fix at Pop's. We ordered one clam plate and one medium onion ring side ...
All in all an enjoyable and no doubt very healthy dinner.:D

You gotta be kidding.

Fried clams and fried onion rings "healthy?"

Dream on.

upthesaukee 07-11-2011 09:22 PM

Saturday night at the bay

We took the long ride from Parker's to the bandstand to watch the concert. Got there just after 6, and went over to Pop's.

We were going to get the clam plate and a small onion ring, but deciding that it was the clams and rings we were really after, we got the medium side of clams and a small order of rings (they also have onion hearts:)). Back to the boat, set up the table, grab a cold soda out of the cooler (sorry for that, Pop's ;)), and sat back to eat. And eat. And eat.

Gotta love it. Thanks, Pop's.

SIKSUKR 07-13-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 162720)
You gotta be kidding.

Fried clams and fried onion rings "healthy?"

Dream on.

I figured it was tongue in cheek,hence the smiley.

Slickcraft 07-13-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 162950)
I figured it was tongue in cheek,hence the smiley.

Right you are!

ApS 07-17-2011 05:45 AM

Don't Forget Pop's...

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't forgotten Pop's. ;)

Jmo77011 07-18-2011 07:01 PM

So good!

We just got back from our first trip to Pop's, and it was good!! We (2 kids, a pregnant woman and a soldier) got a clam plate, a shrimp boat, an order of rings, and a kids meal...and brought home two stuffed take-out boxes for tomorrow! The portions were just huge, and it was sooo good!

The only (sort of) bummer, was that my husband wanted the fisherman's platter pictured at the top of the thread, but we didn't see it on the menu. We left with full bellys and will be back!