Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Red Hill Dari 2020 (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25696)

pondguy 04-30-2020 07:15 AM

Red Hill Dari 2020

I hope we will see Red Hill Dari soon I need a clam fix..:liplick:

SAMIAM 04-30-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 333517)
I hope we will see Red Hill Dari soon I need a clam fix..:liplick:

We're ready to roll, Pond Guy.......waiting for gov to allow outside dining with social table spacing. Don't understand why it hasn't happened

rsmlp 04-30-2020 07:32 AM

red hill dari

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 333519)
We're ready to roll, Pond Guy.......waiting for gov to allow outside dining with social table spacing. Don't understand why it hasn't happened

A ray of sunshine in an otherwise nasty storm. BEST fried clams in the Lakes Region. I can hardly wait.

thinkxingu 04-30-2020 07:36 AM

Quote:

YES! Perfect example of a simple solution to get businesses open.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

pondguy 04-30-2020 07:55 AM

Heck, I would be willing to eat in my car. :)

Hillcountry 04-30-2020 09:16 AM

Quote:

Never tried your place but each time I see "Red Hill Dari" I wonder why the spelling of "Dairy" has been modified? Some inside or family kinda thing? ;)
That said, I want to pronounce it "dah-ri"

granitebox 04-30-2020 09:27 AM

I'm going this summer...never been, but its on the list and the list is solid!

jbolty 04-30-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 333544)
Never tried your place but each time I see "Red Hill Dari" I wonder why the spelling of "Dairy" has been modified? Some inside or family kinda thing? ;)

A million years ago it was Dari-Maid, I guess the name sort of stuck

Top-Water 04-30-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granitebox (Post 333549)
I'm going this summer...never been, but its on the list and the list is solid!

I don't get into the food threads that often, but two years ago, it was one of my most pleasurable experiences up the lake, it really hit the spot that day.

ishoot308 04-30-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 333544)

Red Hill Dari is great! Easy walk from the Center Harbor docks if you go by boat. Great food, great service and super clean!!

Dan

Susie Cougar 04-30-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Whenever we came up to the lake, on our way from the airport, our first stop was always the Red Hill Dari, to get my fried clams and onion rings!
I remember when they first put up this building back in the 70s. I think the original owners made quite a killing.

FlyingScot 04-30-2020 06:12 PM

I didn't want to crash the Pop's thread with this thought, but since you brought it up--RED HILL RULES for fried clams!:)

barefootbay 04-30-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 333615)
I didn't want to crash the Pop's thread with this thought, but since you brought it up--RED HILL RULES for fried clams!:)

Guess again !

Susie Cougar 05-01-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootbay (Post 333616)
Guess again !

Except it was the Red Hill Dari post!

Sue Doe-Nym 05-01-2020 09:39 AM

Thing summer!

Quote:

It’s hard to think about outside dining when it snows in April! It’s about time for 65 degrees.....

WinnisquamZ 05-01-2020 09:43 AM

It has been a very cold spring. Limited cocktails by the water or screened in porch seating time

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

JADAQ 05-01-2020 05:19 PM

Is this owned by the same people who own Village kitchen?

TiltonBB 05-01-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JADAQ (Post 333758)
Is this owned by the same people who own Village kitchen?

Yes. Both places are great!

TheTimeTraveler 05-01-2020 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 333768)
Yes. Both places are great!

Does Red Hill Dari accept Credit Cards or is it cash only ?

rsmlp 05-02-2020 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 333785)
Does Red Hill Dari accept Credit Cards or is it cash only ?

Cash or check, just like VK.

phoenix 05-03-2020 01:45 PM

should be ok to open during first phase Bob

SAMIAM 05-04-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix (Post 333902)
should be ok to open during first phase Bob

Plan on opening thursday through sunday starting next week. Might go to 6 days after the 18th. We can't wait to get back to work and all safety measures will be in place

LIforrelaxin 05-04-2020 10:00 AM

So as I drove by the Tamarack this weekend, I was surprised A) to see them open on Sunday... and B) the absolute lack of social distancing going on.

How much liability falls on a business to make sure that the social distancing is being adhered to?

ishoot308 05-04-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 333959)
So as I drove by the Tamarack this weekend, I was surprised A) to see them open on Sunday... and B) the absolute lack of social distancing going on.

How much liability falls on a business to make sure that the social distancing is being adhered to?

I believe people should be personally responsible for themselves. Beyond setting tables 6’ apart surely the restaurants cannot become the “social distance police”.

Dan

FlyingScot 05-04-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 333961)
I believe people should be personally responsible for themselves. Beyond setting tables 6’ apart surely the restaurants cannot become the “social distance police”.

Dan

I agree about the personal responsibility, but it's not so easy in a social situation where only some are complying. How do I keep my distance when the person who gets in line behind me stands as close as he normally would?
Restaurants can send a message by putting up a friendly sign, marking 6' distances on the ground in waiting areas, having employees in masks and gloves. This kind of thing sends a signal and makes it easy for customers to keep their distance from each other.

ishoot308 05-04-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 333962)
How do I keep my distance when the person who gets in line behind me stands as close as he normally would?.

You were born with a mouth right? Use it and tell the person your uncomfortable with them being so close!

This forum needs a “that was easy” button...

Dan

Susie Cougar 05-04-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 333963)
You were born with a mouth right? Use it and tell the person your uncomfortable with them being so close!

Dan

That’s not so easy. That’s a good way to get into a fight. Restaurants have to have some responsibility if they want to be able to be open. A few people will ruin it for everyone else.

FlyingScot 05-04-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 333963)

Dan

Thanks, Susie. The other reason it's not easy is that the whole point of social distancing is so that our breath is not projecting onto other people and vice versa. I turn around to face even the friendliest person and I'm one foot away and projecting

Major 05-04-2020 10:48 AM

Easy Solution

Quote:

No liability since it would be next to impossible to prove where you contracted the Chinese coronavirus. However, that doesn't mean someone won't try.

I have a perfect solution. Let those of us who are not worried about contracting the Chinese coronavirus go out to restaurants with no silly constraints. (Restaurants work on the thinnest margins anyway so requiring them to be at 25% or 50% capacity is plain stupid.) Those of you who "feel uncomfortable" or are scared of the Chinese coronavirus, you can stay home until you feel safe. It is a win-win.

There is a revolt brewing. Weirs Beach and Town Docks were packed this weekend, no stupid face masks, people enjoying themselves. By Memorial Day, everything will be back to normal, whether you like it or not.

jetskier 05-04-2020 11:09 AM

Be careful what you wish for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 333975)
No liability since it would be next to impossible to prove where you contracted the Chinese coronavirus. However, that doesn't mean someone won't try.

I have a perfect solution. Let those of us who are not worried about contracting the Chinese coronavirus go out to restaurants with no silly constraints. (Restaurants work on the thinnest margins anyway so requiring them to be at 25% or 50% capacity is plain stupid.) Those of you who "feel uncomfortable" or are scared of the Chinese coronavirus, you can stay home until you feel safe. It is a win-win.

There is a revolt brewing. Weirs Beach and Town Docks were packed this weekend, no stupid face masks, people enjoying themselves. By Memorial Day, everything will be back to normal, whether you like it or not.

Hi Major,

New Hampshire has been relatively unscathed (especially the lakes region). The story is quite different in MA and with the upcoming summer season, COVID-19 could become a huge problem in the lakes region. There will be lots of people coming in from outside the area and some could could be infected (asymptomatic initially). Closed communities such as SD could become hot spots very quickly.

So, be careful...

Jetskier :cool:

garysanfran 05-04-2020 11:11 AM

You may not win...BUT...

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason. I've seen it too many times.

If I still owned my business I would be more afraid of lawyers than virus. In fact when I did own my business, I had more thoughts regarding lawyers than virus...Every day. And I think they multiply in a similar manner.

Major 05-04-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 333976)
Hi Major,

New Hampshire has been relatively unscathed (especially the lakes region). The story is quite different in MA and with the upcoming summer season, COVID-19 could become a huge problem in the lakes region. There will be lots of people coming in from outside the area and some could could be infected (asymptomatic initially). Closed communities such as SD could become hot spots very quickly.

So, be careful...

Hi Jetskier,

Hope all is well. I understand. However, from my perspective, the social distancing and destroying our economy hasn't protected the most vulnerable, especially those in nursing/retirement homes. From what I read, most deaths in NH and MA are in nursing/retirement homes. Instead of punishing healthy people, we should have focused our energy on taking measures to protect them.

I am not worried if I get it. However, I am worried if I pass it to my mom who has COPD. The responsibility is hers to be safe. I will do my part by not visiting her when she comes back, but ultimately it is the responsibility of those who are scared to contract the Chinese coronavirus to take steps to make sure they don't.

I was out and about a lot this weekend. It appears that most people share may view about the risks.

pondguy 05-04-2020 11:24 AM

Ok Ok lets get back to the clams. :liplick:

Bigstan 05-04-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Sawyers had > 50 people at one point Saturday, if you cared about distancing you wouldn't stop as you could plainly see you weren't going to get any. So it didn't bother anyone there...

More scary is they had noted that they were sorry for high clam prices. Uh-oh, I would have thought there was a surplus of them at this point, maybe not ?

Major 05-04-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 333980)
Ok Ok lets get back to the clams. :liplick:

I agree, and I will go there when they open, hopefully by boat. The point of my posts is that I do not think there is anything that Sam can do to stop people from socially interacting. He can place the tables six feet apart, place tape on the ground six feet apart, have signs, etc., but he cannot control behavior. If you are afraid of the lack of social distancing, my recommendation is that you stay home until things are safer for you. More clams for us!!

Major 05-04-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigstan (Post 333981)
Sawyers had > 50 people at one point Saturday, if you cared about distancing you wouldn't stop as you could plainly see you weren't going to get any. So it didn't bother anyone there...

More scary is they had noted that they were sorry for high clam prices. Uh-oh, I would have thought there was a surplus of them at this point, maybe not ?

I think it's a topic in another thread, but yes, Sawyer's is ridiculously priced for what you get. We gave up on them years ago. Tamarac too. We love Red Hill Dari though and go out of our way to get clams or the fisherman plate.

thinkxingu 05-04-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 333984)
I think it's a topic in another thread, but yes, Sawyer's is ridiculously priced for what you get. We gave up on them years ago. Tamarac too. We love Red Hill Dari though and go out of our way to get clams or the fisherman plate.

I love fried seafood and live minutes from Red Hill—it sound like I should be going there for more than just the peanut butter sundae!

TheTimeTraveler 05-04-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 333976)
Hi Major,

So, be careful...

I also worry about the "Kung Flu" being spread around the Lakes Region this summer due to visiting tourists or summer residents.

The key will be for folks to wear masks and gloves to minimize the spread, and that is the same key for all over the Country.

Susie Cougar 05-04-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

It seems to me that people in New Hampshire certainly want things to be normal. Do all the restaurant owners feel that opening up is the right thing to do? The reason I asked that question is because today is the first day that restaurants are allowed to be open here in Florida at 50% capacity outside and 25% capacity inside.
People are finding that many restaurants are not willing to open up yet under these restrictions. Whiskey Joe’s, which is a chain, was supposed to have their grand opening at the beginning of March. They opened with delivery only. They were flooded with telephone calls yesterday from people who wanted reservations when they heard that the state was allowing restaurants to open. They said they were not comfortable exposing their staff to the virus and until they were they would not be opening.

Major 05-04-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie Cougar (Post 333992)
It seems to me that people in New Hampshire certainly want things to be normal. Do all the restaurant owners feel that opening up is the right thing to do? The reason I asked that question is because today is the first day that restaurants are allowed to be open here in Florida at 50% capacity outside and 25% capacity inside.
People are finding that many restaurants are not willing to open up yet under these restrictions. Whiskey Joe’s, which is a chain, was supposed to have their grand opening at the beginning of March. They opened with delivery only. They were flooded with telephone calls yesterday from people who wanted reservations when they heard that the state was allowing restaurants to open. They said they were not comfortable exposing their staff to the virus and until they were they would not be opening.

As with patrons, if a business owner does not feel comfortable being open, then he or she should not open. I have a sneaking suspicion however that a restaurant owner may not want to open because financially it is not worthwhile to do so.

Hillcountry 05-04-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 333989)
I love fried seafood and live minutes from Red Hill—it sound like I should be going there for more than just the peanut butter sundae!

Now THERE’s something we have in common! PBS I also order them with my favorite different flavor ice creams too. Could be pistachio, orange pineapple, strawberry, black rasp or moose tracks when I want the full PB CHOCO craving!:D

thinkxingu 05-04-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillcountry (Post 333997)
Now THERE’s something we have in common! PBS I also order them with my favorite different flavor ice creams too. Could be pistachio, orange pineapple, strawberry, black rasp or moose tracks when I want the full PB CHOCO craving!:D

I'm sure there's plenty we have in common—you just like to look for the differences.

Regardless, fried seafood and peanut butter parfaits rule.

FlyingScot 05-04-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 333982)
I agree, and I will go there when they open, hopefully by boat. The point of my posts is that I do not think there is anything that Sam can do to stop people from socially interacting. He can place the tables six feet apart, place tape on the ground six feet apart, have signs, etc., but he cannot control behavior. If you are afraid of the lack of social distancing, my recommendation is that you stay home until things are safer for you. More clams for us!!

It's not about controlling behavior, it's about setting a tone, setting people at ease, making sure everyone is comfortable. I'm confident Sam has a solid plan.

garysanfran 05-04-2020 04:49 PM

Fried clams...

I think The Weathervane at The Weirs also does a great job. I can't think of an experience getting a "bad clam" meal in The Lakes Region.

Arriving 5/13...Does the 14 day quarantine mean no clams for me until 5/27?

Gonna be rough!

thinkxingu 05-04-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 334018)
I think The Weathervane at The Weirs also does a great job. I can't think of an experience getting a "bad clam" meal in The Lakes Region.

Arriving 5/13...Does the 14 day quarantine mean no clams for me until 5/27?

Gonna be rough!

I reject your Weathervane claim—any place that uses bay scallops and tiny shrimp is weak.

garysanfran 05-04-2020 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 334025)
I reject your Weathervane claim—any place that uses bay scallops and tiny shrimp is weak.

Never had the scallops or shrimp...I was commenting on the clams...Wonderful!

Pineedles 05-04-2020 06:19 PM

Yes sir shoot! And as I read the various comments across the board and hear the frightened on the news and elsewhere, I am fed up! You can have anything you want delivered to your door. Don’t go out. Sorry, Im Just at the end of my rope seeing sheeple give up their constitutional rights so easily by letting the government dictate to them what they deem safe. Rant over. I love Red Hill Dari!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

jeffk 05-04-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

If you don't like what you see at a venue, simply drive in by. The restaurants will place tables apart and hopefully workers will be wearing masks and washing their hands frequently but there are no guarantees to this, only guidelines.

Almost no one is going to enforce social distancing in any meaningful way. Some will hector people who don't comply and those hectored will probably pay them no attention.

jbolty 05-04-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 334030)
Yes sir shoot! And as I read the various comments across the board and hear the frightened on the news and elsewhere, I am fed up! You can have anything you want delivered to your door. Don’t go out. Sorry, Im Just at the end of my rope seeing sheeple give up their constitutional rights so easily by letting the government dictate to them what they deem safe. Rant over. I love Red Hill Dari!

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The people who want to stay inside think it's the most dangerous thing ever but are perfectly content to have others risk their lives to bring them deliveries or work in the stores. Seems kind of selfish.

Newbiesaukee 05-04-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbolty (Post 334042)
The people who want to stay inside think it's the most dangerous thing ever but are perfectly content to have others risk their lives to bring them deliveries or work in the stores. Seems kind of selfish.

On another thread someone commented that the “onus” was on the vulnerable to stay home so that the rest of the world could reopen as if the vulnerable were the problem and the others had no responsibility to protect them. Such as wearing masks and maintaining social distances.

You’re suggesting that it is “kind of selfish” for the vulnerable or others to stay home.

The vulnerable can’t win. Actually, one could argue that the risk of a person delivering food is less than the risk of that same person working in a store or restaurant with more relaxation of guidelines and less wearing of masks.

The right to stay home is certainly no less valid than the right to go out and ignore guidelines put in place to protect others.

A little kindness and empathy can go a long way.

Can’t wait for the VK to open for in restaurant dining.