Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Mice are out of control this year. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23431)

bruinsfan 06-19-2018 04:44 PM

Mice are out of control this year.

Has anyone else notice that there are more field mice out and about than usual.

Hillcountry 06-19-2018 04:57 PM

I always seem to have a few out around the garage where I park my tractor. They like to nest inside equipment so in the spring I always check before starting as invariably, there will be a nest somewhere in my tractor or mowers.
This week I found two moles dead on my grass and this morning a vole dead in my driveway.
Field mice are easy to trap with a little peanut butter...:D

RUGMAN 06-19-2018 05:19 PM

I am seeing a lot of chipmunks !

Biggd 06-19-2018 07:54 PM

I have smart mice. I use the old style mouse trap with cheese. The cheese is always gone and no mouse is caught. They must be real fat by now!:D

TheTimeTraveler 06-19-2018 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 296286)
I have smart mice. I use the old style mouse trap with cheese. The cheese is always gone and no mouse is caught. They must be real fat by now!:D

Try Peanut Butter and you'll have much better success!

rick35 06-19-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUGMAN (Post 296274)

And my chipper dipper works great!

Biggd 06-20-2018 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUGMAN (Post 296274)

Those little rascals torture my beagle.

Sundancer320 06-20-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 296292)
And my chipper dipper works great!

What pray tell is this...if it works I want one

Hillcountry 06-20-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancer320 (Post 296315)

Pellet gun! That’s my guess...

Woody38 06-20-2018 03:38 PM

You may want to try these.
Spread some bay leaves around where you suspect the mice.
I also use the sonic transmitters. I can't recall the one I got but the first one was a complete waste.

---------------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic

JEEPONLY 06-20-2018 03:57 PM

Doesn't garlic work on vampires AND mice?

rick35 06-20-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundancer320 (Post 296315)

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full with water. Cover the water with sunflower seeds. Put the bucket next to your steps and use a piece of wood to create a bridge from the steps to the bucket. The chipmunks smell the seeds, cross over the board and jump into the bucket to get the seeds and drown. I've been pulling one out every couple of days. I've had to reset my walkway pavers twice this spring as the chipmunks built a nest and the pavers started to droop into the cavity.

BroadHopper 06-21-2018 04:33 AM

RV & Mice

I notice a lot more mice in the past 2 years. My GF mother calls my RV 'The Mouse Trap'! LOL! I have several mouse traps baited with a combination of PB and cheese, spread throughout the RV. I get a mouse almost daily!

Moth balls and lavender scents don't seem to be a deterrent lately. Old mouse traps become ineffective. Bell Labs T-REX Trapper appears to be the best.

The electronic mice repellents works well but limited range, depends on the size of the room you may need more than one.

And yeah, I notice if you have a bird feeder nearby, there are tons of mice!

garysanfran 06-21-2018 05:53 AM

Roof rat...

Been trying everything to get rid of the thing. I know its entry point. But fear sealing it in. I think it's time for a pro exterminator...Any recommendations for Meredith?

Biggd 06-21-2018 06:38 AM

I got 2 last night. One was pretty fat from eating all the cheese in my traps.:D

Top-Water 06-21-2018 06:45 AM

*Roof Rat*

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 296339)
Been trying everything to get rid of the thing. I know its entry point. But fear sealing it in. I think it's time for a pro exterminator...Any recommendations for Meredith?

Probably a Flying Squirrel, they are a real pain in the a$$.

I doubt you have just one.

Just a link I found, I have no experience with this company.
http://www.creatureremoval.com/flying-squirrels.html

chipj29 06-21-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 296335)
Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full with water. Cover the water with sunflower seeds. Put the bucket next to your steps and use a piece of wood to create a bridge from the steps to the bucket. The chipmunks smell the seeds, cross over the board and jump into the bucket to get the seeds and drown. I've been pulling one out every couple of days. I've had to reset my walkway pavers twice this spring as the chipmunks built a nest and the pavers started to droop into the cavity.

I've had some pretty good success using the bucket o'death method over the last couple of weeks. Just don't fill the bucket with too much water (6" or so is plenty), as squirrels are big enough to reach in and steal the seeds. Found that one out myself.
Since I dropped the water level, I have caught 2 squirrels, multiple chipmunks, and 1 mouse.

Irish mist 06-21-2018 04:42 PM

Just a reminder: D-Con & all the other poisons we formerly used to kill rats & mice have been diluted & the pellets have been eliminated.

The good news: you can still get full strength rodent poisons & pellets from farm & tractor stores. Don't waste your money any longer buying your poison control from the regular sources.

Merrymeeting 06-22-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish mist (Post 296383)
Just a reminder: D-Con & all the other poisons we formerly used to kill rats & mice have been diluted & the pellets have been eliminated.

The good news: you can still get full strength rodent poisons & pellets from farm & tractor stores. Don't waste your money any longer buying your poison control from the regular sources.

The problem here is that the poisoned rodents can be eaten by the raptors (eagles, owls, etc) who are then also killed. Traps, water buckets, and cats are a better solution.

FlyingScot 06-22-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merrymeeting (Post 296412)
The problem here is that the poisoned rodents can be eaten by the raptors (eagles, owls, etc) who are then also killed. Traps, water buckets, and cats are a better solution.

Plus dangerous for pets, gets into our water supply, and generally comes back to bite humans in the butt in a variety of ways, etc.

garysanfran 06-22-2018 03:16 PM

My sunflower seeds sink...

I assume they're supposed to float? I got the shelled variety.

Major 06-22-2018 03:34 PM

Sunflower Seeds with Shells

Quote:

Originally Posted by garysanfran (Post 296438)
I assume they're supposed to float? I got the shelled variety.

Yes, the sunflower seeds with shells float. This is a very effective way to control mice, chipmunks and red squirrels. Doesn't work so well with larger grey squirrels. The chipmunks this year are unbelievable!

Biggd 06-22-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 296439)
Yes, the sunflower seeds with shells float. This is a very effective way to control mice, chipmunks and red squirrels. Doesn't work so well with larger grey squirrels. The chipmunks this year are unbelievable!

My neighbor sits in his lounge chair and feeds them peanuts. They come right up on his lap. As soon as they see him come out of his house they come running up to him.

garysanfran 06-22-2018 04:40 PM

I hope it'll work on flying squirrels...

I bought the wrong seeds...I got the shelled seeds and they sink!

JEEPONLY 06-23-2018 12:40 PM

I have broad-winged hawks that survey my yard regularly (last four years), not too many chipmunks- squirrels seems unafraid- they lazily graze around the yard picking for what ever is there!

ursa minor 06-23-2018 08:35 PM

The bumper crop of pine cones last year is having its effect in a corresponding bumper crop of chipmunks, squirrels and mice. It goes in cycles, they're everywhere and then either the food disappears or something goes through the population (distemper?) and we don't see many at all. I'll admit to feeding a few chipmunks peanuts.

chasedawg 06-23-2018 09:12 PM

Mice chipmunks

My neighbor uncovered his boat and opened his Yamaha engine cover and inside the cover the engine was stuffed packed full of acorns. Took an hour to clean them out with a shop vac.

garysanfran 06-25-2018 02:40 PM

Flying squirrels...

Exterminators are really busy.. Most told me they couldn't even give me a quote until late July, with the work being done in August.

Last night I stood out in the rain at 3:30 am with a flashlight and a .22 with bird shot. Man! those things move fast. It ran on a power line as fast as it would on any flat surface and disappeared under a beam in my roof. After ten minutes more standing in the rain, it stuck his head out and that was a fatal mistake for him. He fell out of the building. I didn't post the photo so as to not frighten the children...

Unfortunately, he had roommates.

ApS 06-25-2018 03:54 PM

Chipmunks: Native to New Hampshire

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 296440)
My neighbor sits in his lounge chair and feeds them peanuts. They come right up on his lap. As soon as they see him come out of his house they come running up to him.

Using sunflower seeds, they are easily trained to come to your whistle. When near one, whistle, and toss some seeds to them. They're usually "whistle-trained" with just one or two meet-ups. If departing your property, whistle for them, and they'll whip around and race back!

My dogs, on the other hand, would faithfully acknowledge my whistle by turning their heads towards me. :rolleye2:

'Course, not everyone sees eye-to-eye with Chipmunks. ;)

jhark44405 06-27-2018 07:28 PM

found one in my house

I found a mouse right next to my computer.:D

Rusty 06-27-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 296602)
Using sunflower seeds, they are easily trained to come to your whistle. When near one, whistle, and toss some seeds to them. They're usually "whistle-trained" with just one or two meet-ups. If departing your property, whistle for them, and they'll whip around and race back!

My dogs, on the other hand, would faithfully acknowledge my whistle by turning their heads towards me. :rolleye2:

'Course, not everyone sees eye-to-eye with Chipmunks. ;)

The chipmunk whisperer.
Brings back the days of Matzoh Hepplewhite.😢

tis 06-28-2018 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 296751)
The chipmunk whisperer.

Yes, we remember those days fondly don't we? (I think)

ApS 06-28-2018 06:00 AM

Correction: Matzoh Heppelwhite.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 296751)
The chipmunk whisperer.

"Worthy Adversary". :look:

The news outta DC yesterday would've had him apoplectic! :eek2:

He was a "SJW", before the term came to popularity—we shared a fondness for appliances of the 40's and 50's: in addition, both still kept a 7" reel-to-reel tape recorder that also recorded 8-track cartridges.

A resident of Tuftonboro and Wolfeboro, he left us many (mostly) helpful posts here as member old coot:

Sinclair 07-02-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursa minor (Post 296519)
The bumper crop of pine cones last year is having its effect in a corresponding bumper crop of chipmunks, squirrels and mice. It goes in cycles, they're everywhere and then either the food disappears or something goes through the population (distemper?) and we don't see many at all. I'll admit to feeding a few chipmunks peanuts.

I heard a good theory today. Apparently the turkey population is high this year, causing foxes to turn their attention away from small rodents.

We've seen a ton of chipmunks this year.