Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Maybe competition for Atlantic Broadband??? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24032)

garysanfran 11-30-2018 06:00 PM

Maybe competition for Atlantic Broadband???

Alias Metrocast?

In today's Lac D Sun...

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...e477612ee.html

Irish mist 11-30-2018 07:05 PM

I'm no fan of Comcast, but this is great news for the area & long overdue.

joey2665 11-30-2018 07:08 PM

Maybe competition for Atlantic Broadband???

This would be a welcomed addition to the area. I find Atlantic internet service slow and very unreliable. This should help with cost and maybe push Atlantic to upgrade its system.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thebix 11-30-2018 08:57 PM

Cable or Fiber?

I see the statement 'Comcast would string new cable throughout Laconia, just as it is doing now in Rochester.' I hope that is just the reporter's uninformed description. Why would any new cable/internet infrastructure not use fiber optic lines rather than old fashioned cable? I doubt that they can provide the high speeds mentioned with just cable. I would expect that cable instead of fiber would not provide any better service than Atlantic, and I wouldn't go to the trouble to switch as a result. BUT, if they string fiber, it would be a 21st century solution rather than what Atlantic offers today.

Woody38 11-30-2018 11:17 PM

We had Comcast for years in Massachusetts, terrible service and always had to go pick up new hardware. Switched to Fios and what a difference, fast internet, great tv. Would never go back to Comcast. Comcast does not have fiber optic.

mbr 11-30-2018 11:47 PM

AB/Metrocast needs a competitor in Center Harbor. Rising prices every year, slow/throttled internet, worthless tv line-up. The selectmen do not respond to e-mails about the poor service.

BroadHopper 12-01-2018 09:44 AM

Competition is great!

Cable wires not so. I strongly believe that the municipal govt should have an independent fiber optics 'trunk' supplier that Advance Communication, Atlantic Broadband and Comcast et al should share rather than strings tons of wires from pole to pole. There are already unsightly double poles because wires have not been transferred to new poles.
This technology exists in large private buildings to avoid wires, why cant this technology exists on the streets?

swnoel 12-02-2018 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebix (Post 304922)
I see the statement 'Comcast would string new cable throughout Laconia, just as it is doing now in Rochester.' I hope that is just the reporter's uninformed description. Why would any new cable/internet infrastructure not use fiber optic lines rather than old fashioned cable? I doubt that they can provide the high speeds mentioned with just cable. I would expect that cable instead of fiber would not provide any better service than Atlantic, and I wouldn't go to the trouble to switch as a result. BUT, if they string fiber, it would be a 21st century solution rather than what Atlantic offers today.

I recently had a new line from the street to the pole next to my home in Rochester and it was indeed strung with just cable... not fiber optic. I also had the rep for Comcast show up a few weeks later... unless you're bundling things you'll save virtually nothing on internet service. I have Dish for TV , AB for internet and OOma for phone.

8gv 12-02-2018 09:24 AM

"OOma"?

Unknown term...

The Real BigGuy 12-02-2018 10:34 AM

I did some research and found that Comcast does have fiber lines but only in their backbone and trunk lines. The run coaxial cable “the last mile” from the trunk to their subscribers. This causes a “bottleneck” but since the bottleneck is relatively short they can offer higher speeds than the all cable systems. Their highest speeds probably are only available on their shortest cable runs. Don’t know why they don’t bring fiber direct to the subscriber.

I have fios at home but only have fiber to the hub, or ONT, then cable from there to TVs, router, etc. I’m sure the cable is costing me speed even with those short runs. However, I’m still faster than my neighbor who has Xfinity (Comcast).

upthesaukee 12-02-2018 10:36 AM

Voip

Here's a link

https://www.ooma.com/

Dave

The Real BigGuy 12-02-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 304951)
"OOma"?

Unknown term...

OOMA is a voice over internet phone service like Vonage.

TCC 12-02-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 304955)

I rather think Metrocast is VOIP as well. Whenever we lose our Metrocast internet in Wolfeboro, our Metrocast phone goes out as well.

The Real BigGuy 12-02-2018 07:32 PM

Most internet companies (Verizon, Comcast, metrocast, etc use VOIP (voice over Internet protocol) for phone. Cheaper then stringing their own copper wires & they can piggy back phone on cable which is also cheaper. Down side is it is much easier for spammers to bulk calls from overseas.

TiltonBB 12-02-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 304955)

I have had Ooma for about 10 years and it works great. If you don't take the extras like call forwarding you just have to pay the taxes on it. I think it is about $4 per month. In the winter I take the Ooma box from the Gilford house with me so I have NH phone number even while out of state.

swnoel 12-05-2018 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 304970)
I have had Ooma for about 10 years and it works great. If you don't take the extras like call forwarding you just have to pay the taxes on it. I think it is about $4 per month. In the winter I take the Ooma box from the Gilford house with me so I have NH phone number even while out of state.

Yep... I had Vonage and switched. My bill went from over $35 per month to $14 per month. I have the Premier service but those that chose no to will pay only what the taxes are. Around $4-5 per month. Great service for sure!