Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Rough cost of tree removal (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21477)

pjard 11-25-2016 10:29 AM

Rough cost of tree removal

I have 4 fairly tall pine trees I am thinking of having removed. The area is in a wooded part of my yard but accessible. I see plenty of recommendations on the forum but I am trying to get an idea of what I'm going to pay. Thanks....

Lakeboater 11-25-2016 10:38 AM

Estimates

Hard to say what the cost would be. I think it would depend on how busy a company is and obviously the difficulty in doing the job (think wires, septic location, buildings etc) I had one big ugly pine taken down a few years ago. I got estimates from 5 companies. They ranged from $900 to $2000! Quite a difference. Some guys had cranes others bucket trucks. Get some estimates and read the recommendations you mentioned.

radioman 11-25-2016 11:17 AM

Tree Removal

Get out the phone book and start entertaining estimates as there are quite a number of people who do this but no set formula for cost. Make certain that they will be bidding on the same services ( cut down, removal, chipping and cleanup). Insurance is also a critical factor.

Good Luck!

Slickcraft 11-25-2016 11:32 AM

What's a phone book?:D

Anyway, for hard to access trees some companies will still climb and do it the old fashion way.

http://www.whitemountaintreeservice.com/

ishoot308 11-25-2016 11:32 AM

Here's a ballpark number for you Paul...

If it's a real easy tree and they are able to simply cut it and let it fall your looking around $600.00-$800.00 per. If they have to climb and cut double that number.

Edited to add: The numbers quoted above were for island work. All trees were cut into stove length for outdoor fire pit and stacked neatly in designated location. All limbs and brush were cut small enough to handle and stacked for burning.

Cutting the tree is the easy part it's the cleanup that counts and that's why I recommend Cortney Kelly from Arbortech. Cort and his crew do amazing work!

Dan

Descant 11-25-2016 02:36 PM

Courtney / Arbortech did a great job for me this summer. He has a bucket and other equipment, but in my case it was mostly climbing and one tractor to move stuff around. I can't separate out individual trees as I also had to pay to barge the tractor out and back as well as barge the trees back to the mainland. With that in mind, Ishoot308's estimate sounds very accurate. My neighbor also got him to drop one big pine in place. No clean up, no removal. I don't know the price, but it took Courtney little time and my neighbor was pleased. I wasn't on site, but the report was that the whole crew was hard workers, no slack time.
Rather than chip (more equipment to barge) or burn, they stacked branches together in the woods and diced them. I had to go looking around to find the piles. Good wildlife habitat and after a couple of snow seasons, probably invisible.
Winnipesaukee Marine was doing work for me too, and they also recommended Courtney as they had worked with him before and they coordinated barge trips. I try to work with contractors I know or who are highly recommended, and if they charge a little more for quality work, that's fine. I did not seek multiple bids.

pjard 11-25-2016 03:21 PM

Hey thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. This forum is great for this kind of information. I've got enough information now to start making some phone calls and get some quotes....thanks again!

Outdoorsman 11-25-2016 03:49 PM

If the trees are dead/dying or at risk of falling on your power lines, consider contacting your power company. They may send out a crew to drop the trees for free. I have done this twice over the last couple of decades.

TheTimeTraveler 11-25-2016 05:48 PM

If you have issues with heavy equipment (such as a bucket truck) accessing these trees due to a septic system then give serious consideration to waiting until the ground freezes to minimize damage.

Merrymeeting 11-25-2016 05:57 PM

Hoping that the estimates posted here are VERY rough as they seem way high to me. I just had a large tree removed that we were worried would fall on our parking area. Bucket truck and lots of careful dropping of the higher limbs. About half of what is being quoted here. And yes, fully bonded, insured, and a reputable firm.

A lot of factors enter into price. In our case, tree was right next to the road, with easy access. We did it in the off-season when work is slow, etc.

But I worry that if people think that the quotes here are "reasonable", then prices will escalate quickly.

LittleMiss61 11-25-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 272128)
I have 4 fairly tall pine trees I am thinking of having removed. The area is in a wooded part of my yard but accessible. I see plenty of recommendations on the forum but I am trying to get an idea of what I'm going to pay. Thanks....

I just paid $1080 for 4 pine trees in Gilford....

Doobs41378 11-25-2016 06:46 PM

I have a tree being removed by the road on Monday. it is $700. We had a few trees removed last year that they needed a crane for and it was over $2000 for those 3 trees.

secondcurve 11-25-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doobs41378 (Post 272147)
I have a tree being removed by the road on Monday. it is $700. We had a few trees removed last year that they needed a crane for and it was over $2000 for those 3 trees.

Anyone having trees removed should do themselves a favor and get at least 4 quotes. As others have noted prices vary widely and the end results are usually virtually the same. We aren't talking about building a house or installing a pool for example where results, material, quality, etc. can vary widely. The tree is gone or it isn't. As long as the tree removal company is insured it doesn't matter. Shop around. Don't get locked into one company.

Loub52 11-25-2016 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjard (Post 272128)

http://www.donovantree.com/tablet/index.html

Great crew, on time, on budget. Give them a call.

fatlazyless 11-26-2016 06:57 AM

.... half price Stihl chainsaw rental?

Wednesday is half price rental day at Rand's Hardware in Plymouth, and they have two Stihl chainsaws that look to be in very good working shape, and big and powerfull. So, just get there at 7-am Wednesday when the store opens and go grab a Stihl and drop your own tree........ timber ........ kaboom ........ ouch .......yikes ....... omg ........ insurance........ what insurance?

ursa minor 11-26-2016 10:29 AM

I'll give another vote for Courtney Kelly / Arbortech. We've had to take down several large hemlocks that the bark beetles got to at the island house. Very fair pricing and meticulous clean up by his crew.

TriDad 11-27-2016 10:09 AM

Gilford

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleMiss61 (Post 272146)
I just paid $1080 for 4 pine trees in Gilford....

Who did you use in Gilford for these. Thanks.

fatlazyless 02-02-2017 09:45 PM

Here's a good one; www.greenleaftreenh.com .... located in Moultonborough ...... able to remove towering trees that includes removing compound, complex, tricky trees from your mega-million-dollar waterfront mcmansion and done for a Wal-Mart type of a price ....... it's money well spent..... yikes!