Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boating survey (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24399)

Garcia 05-07-2019 08:18 AM

Boating survey

I am interested in everyone's "home base" when they boat on the lake. Are you a waterfront property owner? Or, do you valet, trailer, or keep your boat on a slip? I'm just curious as I reflect on over five decades enjoying the lake and ponder how it might be enjoyed in the future.

Barney Bear 05-07-2019 08:24 AM

Here and There

We have been renting a slip in Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford since 1963 and have had our place on East Bear Island since 1967. 🐻

Slickcraft 05-07-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Bear (Post 311041)
We have been renting a slip in Fay's Boat Yard in Gilford since 1963 and have had our place on East Bear Island since 1967. 🐻

Yes most islanders have both waterfront property and also rent or own a slip on the mainland.

WinnisquamZ 05-07-2019 09:45 AM

Read on the classified page someone is selling a building lot at SDS and it allows you full access to all the amenities they offer. Find this odd

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 05-07-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 311049)
Read on the classified page someone is selling a building lot at SDS and it allows you full access to all the amenities they offer. Find this odd

Why, its very common on SDS and LB. Lot owners pay the full HOA fees to the master (SDS or LB) and sub (if any) Hoa's as such they should be allowed to use the full set of amenities

WinnisquamZ 05-07-2019 10:45 AM

Did not say it was wrong. Just said it was odd

MAXUM 05-07-2019 11:10 AM

I got island property but trailer my commuter boat every trip.

To cheap to buy or rent a mainland slip/rack.

Descant 05-07-2019 11:58 AM

Other?

I think "Other" is for many islanders who often own more than one boat. Think of winter storage at a commercial storage facility. The launch/haul spring and fall, but I may not own a trailer. From there, my "access" is a public dock and my island camp. I know people at MVYC whose boat never leaves the dock. (Is a condo at MVYC "waterfront property?) If they want to go for a ride, they have a second boat in valet. There are a lot of ingenious ways to access the lake. Very difficult to categorize, especially for islanders.

iw8surf 05-07-2019 12:32 PM

I put other because for 8 years I live water front. Moved out and kept the boat, now we do valet. Which is nowhere near as nice as having that water front spot.

joey2665 05-07-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 311054)
Did not say it was wrong. Just said it was odd

Never said it was wrong. I said it is not odd. Why shouldn't lot owners enjoy the amenities if the are paying the HOA fees?

gravy boat 05-07-2019 04:44 PM

Survey

Waterfront and we also trailer our 25' Crownline as we don't trust the mooring to hold the boat on rough days - we face the broads on the Gilford/Alton line so it can be very rough.
We sleep a little better at night. :)

Blyblvrd 05-07-2019 04:51 PM

Waterfront w/a dock in Moultonborough on a nice little cove.

rick35 05-07-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 311056)
I got island property but trailer my commuter boat every trip.

To cheap to buy or rent a mainland slip/rack.

Same here. On both counts.

8gv 05-07-2019 10:54 PM

"Other"

Association mooring accessed via association waterfront.

LoveLakeLife 05-07-2019 11:07 PM

I rent a slip at a marina and come up almost every weekend of the season.

BroadHopper 05-08-2019 05:36 AM

Association mooring accessed via association waterfront on Winnisquam!
Rent a slip at a marina on Winnipesaukee!
The best of both Winni!

Some slips are rented, some are SOA (Slip Owners Association)

Garcia 05-08-2019 07:42 AM

Thank you!

Thanks to all who responded!

Pricestavern 05-08-2019 08:23 AM

Bought a slip on the mainland and have our dock at the island.

Biggd 05-08-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 311110)
The best of both Winni!

Sounds like a Winni Winni! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BroadHopper 05-08-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 311121)
Sounds like a Winni Winni! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It is! 'pesaukee during the week, 'squam on weekends! Avoid the boneheads!

Biggd 05-08-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 311131)
It is! 'pesaukee during the week, 'squam on weekends! Avoid the boneheads!

I want to do the same. I'm on Waukewan so I would like to sell my boat and get another jet ski for my lake and either join the boat club or by a Pontoon at Meredith Marine and do a valet service. That's my future plan anyway.
I use to have a place on Winnisquam. I loved that lake! The one thing I miss is not having a marina with gas docks but Waukewan is a nice quite lake, great for the jet skis, kayaks, paddle boards and fishing.

Cal Coon 05-08-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 311110)
The best of both Winni!

Do you have one boat, and trailer back and forth, or do you have a boat at each location? I live in an association with a small lake 10 minutes from Alton Bay and keep a 17' boat on the assn. dock, and trailer a 23' boat to Alton Bay. So I have the little one during the week, and I spend weekends at the ZOO, (aka Winni)!! I don't mind the crowd on the water at all, I love boat, and people watching, it's half the fun for me, and I just stay on the boat when I'm on Winni on wkends cause I'm not fighting the crowd for any public docks... Fortunately for me, if I want to go out to eat somewhere around the lake, I live close enough to drive my car or motorcycle, no need to fight the battle for a public dock on the boat!! It's the chaos at the boat ramp I detest. However, I have figured out a way to avoid it for the most part, but, I'm sorry to say, it MUST remain "top secret"... I think I may start a post for " Rules for Boat ramp etiquette", because people get really stupid when it comes to trailering a boat!! The FIRST rule would be to have the boat ALL ready to launch when you get to the boat ramp, not "GET" the boat ready at the boat ramp, (while a "train" of trucks/trailers forms behind you)...

BroadHopper 05-09-2019 06:16 AM

Boats and launch ramps

Use to trailer the boat to a lot of lakes in New England. It was fun!
I think the Glendale ramp is the most 'civilized', while others were a **** show!

I'm retired now and moved to the Lakes Region. I no longer have a need to trailer a boat. So I have the Formula on 'pesaukee as it is a must bigger lake with much more rough water. This boat is perfect for this lake!

'squam is much smaller, quieter. A 20 ft pontoon is perfect for this setting! The sand bar, in my opinion has a nicer crowd than 'pesaukee sand bars. There is only one gas dock, but never busy. Winnisquam Marine is great to do business with! The association has a beautiful 300' private beach with picnic tables and bath house. I felt no need for a restaurant,bar,grill when I have my own on 'squam!

Oh and no speed limit! The missile with the 'tower of power'! Watch for it!

salty dog 05-09-2019 07:09 AM

Every week

We keep our 21' bowrider at Andrew's, Minge Cove. It is stored on its trailer full time and kept inside summer and winter. They launch it and pull it each time for me; keeps things real simple! Now that we're retired, we can (and do) go up each week from May until the end of October to enjoy a "quieter" lake than on weekends.

Biggd 05-09-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 311150)
I think the Glendale ramp is the most 'civilized', while others were a **** show!

I'm retired now and moved to the Lakes Region. I no longer have a need to trailer a boat. So I have the Formula on 'pesaukee as it is a must bigger lake with much more rough water. This boat is perfect for this lake!

'squam is much smaller, quieter. A 20 ft pontoon is perfect for this setting! The sand bar, in my opinion has a nicer crowd than 'pesaukee sand bars. There is only one gas dock, but never busy. Winnisquam Marine is great to do business with! The association has a beautiful 300' private beach with picnic tables and bath house. I felt no need for a restaurant,bar,grill when I have my own on 'squam!

I'm not a big fan of sand bars but we use to go to the Northern most part of the lake near the loon sanctuary, drop anchor there and swim for hours.

Cal Coon 05-09-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 311150)

Wow!! Too funny! I have a Formula for Winni for the same reasons, and I have a "Tower of Power" (115hp) on my 17'!! Love that motor. Still runs, and looks like brand new! Little temperamental, has it's "idiosyncrasies" but runs strong when it's dialed in...

Rattlesnake Gal 05-17-2019 07:41 AM

Valet - Own Island Property

We do valet and own an island property.